WRECK-IT RALPH Reviews Declare, 'It's A Game Changer for Disney!'

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
WRECK-IT RALPH Reviews Declare, 'It's A Game Changer for Disney!'

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/wreck_it_ralph/

"More than another standard cutesy reference-fest with some exciting chases and an eventual upbeat message."

"Wreck-It Ralph" blends poignancy and a piston-powered plot that revels in both visual inventiveness and a vaudevillian sense of timing."

"The film flies off in all sorts of directions, all of them rewarding. But the best trick is how screenwriters Phil Johnston and Jennifer Lee bring everything back together, even the seemingly least-related elements."

"The most inventive and entertaining family movie I've seen this year, packed with wickedly smart humor and joyful animation."

"Built for fun...in its dazzlingly elaborate production design and kinetic 3D action...perfect casting...Who Framed Roger Rabbit-esque video-game-character cameos, and a cramming of clever comic touches..."

"Wreck-It Ralph" doesn't just wreck 'em. It darn near kills 'em."

"A gorgeously rendered story that will play just as well to children as to their parents, albeit for different reasons. Playstation and Xbox junkies will be equally pleased."

"The imagery is amazing - and always witty. This is a Disney cartoon - but it's got the imagination and brains of a Pixar feature."

"A sweet, colorful 3-D animated feature that finds Disney passing its stuck-in-a-rut partners at Pixar."

Last edited by webhead : 11 November 2012 at 09:19 PM.

11 November 2012
Saw it two weeks ago and I liked it.

But keep in mind that the video game references (and there are a ton of them) go away after the 1st act.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Saw it two weeks ago and I liked it.

But keep in mind that the video game references (and there are a ton of them) go away after the 1st act.

-R

Actually, I'm glad to hear that. I was afraid that they'd make those references throughout the movie and it would get old real quick.

Taking the kid to see it tomorrow.
LinkedIn

11 November 2012
Thoroughly enjoyed this movie. The references and gags throughout were clever and nicely done, also some were super obscure so you could tell they were really into the stuff.

The animation and look/feel were outstanding, IMO. The animation touches on the secondary game characters were genius, and the production design and worldbuilding were great.

If I could complain about anything it was a slightly linear plot, but knew that going in. Even with that they still managed some very clever turns I thought, and the characters were well done.

Kudos to all on the team, definitely hope it wrecks some box office.

P.S. After all the hand wringing about "why do Paperman that way", seeing it in stereo 3D made it all finally click for me, and made it totally unique. It's also just a nicely told and animated short regardless of all the tech mumbo jumbo.

Last edited by hypercube : 11 November 2012 at 10:39 PM.

11 November 2012
Hmmm. Not released until Feb 2013 in the UK. Nice one Disney. Well done.

11 November 2012
Best feature (and short - 'Paperman') I've seen in a long time!
Congratulations to everyone that had a hand in it!

AKIN BILGIC
Modeler / Generalist TD
CGGallery.com

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by PaulAdams: Hmmm. Not released until Feb 2013 in the UK. Nice one Disney. Well done.

That's a crime against humanity.

11 November 2012
I saw it with my girlfriend last night, and I quite enjoyed it. Good story and Morales. The short at the start was also really well done.

11 November 2012
I was pretty underwhelmed. It felt like it didn't really carry through with its own theme; the one major point where Ralph had to be a "bad guy" (when he destroyed the girl's car) later just got dismissed as a mistake. Also, too much of the second act felt like watching a video game over someone's shoulder: lots of action, but no real stakes.

Paperman was great, though.

11 November 2012
I liked it overall though it seemed a little strange how most of the video game tie-ins ended after the first part as previously mentioned which was just about everything the trailers showed. Walking out of the theater it was amusing seeing posters for the movie with Sonic in the font as a key portion of the ad when he was in about 3-5 seconds of the flick. Regardless I enjoyed it even if it went a little different than expected, the animation stylization for characters was interesting and the short before the flick was worth paying the ticket cost alone.

11 November 2012
This was a fabulously done production, I did enjoy the ongoing shift in the story, and overall it felt complete. I did find the whole 3D thing distracting, at too many points in the story. Odd blurriness at the edges, and nothing in the show really justified the use of 3D.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by PerryDS: This was a fabulously done production, I did enjoy the ongoing shift in the story, and overall it felt complete. I did find the whole 3D thing distracting, at too many points in the story. Odd blurriness at the edges, and nothing in the show really justified the use of 3D.

What system did you see it on? I ended up seeing it in XpanD (shutter glasses) and it was extremely sharp and well-used, I thought.

I'll be interested to see the generational breakdown of people who like/don't like this movie.

Of course I will just be saying to everyone, how could you not like this movie?

But still, I wonder how much of a factor being raised not only on video games, but on THESE games, is.

11 November 2012
I thought that the secondary stuff was done with far better care then anything in the main story. The animation for all the minor game characters was really well done and looked like stop motion in a lot of places. The original movie music actually sounded like something out of the video game ... then the "shut up and drive" crap started and all the big studio cliches popped up again.

Now I wish there was a Wreck it Ralph TV show revolving around the bad guys anonymous group.

11 November 2012
I took my kids this weekend to see it. It was a very good movie. Some of the jokes older people would get. I dont even think I've seen an arcade in the past few years. I remember some of the stuff like putting the quarters up to say your next. And just waiting your turn. Movie kinda made me remember the old cartoon show Captain N The game master.

Over all a good fun movie.

11 November 2012
saw it. thought it was pretty good.

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
anyone else think of "the iron giant -- superman" reference towards the end?

got me right in the feels. congrats to everyone involved!

Thread Closed share thread