Disney buying Lucasfilm/ILM! Star wars EP7 in 2015

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
It's soooo gonna be Brad Bird.

*In the alternate timeline, it's Gore Verbinski.*

I write about CG for About.com: 3d.about.com. Come say hi!

Last edited by Jussslic : 10 October 2012 at 07:56 AM.

10 October 2012
More Star Wars? Bring it on! If only for the fact that it brings more VFX jobs to the table.

10 October 2012
Yay more Star Wars, and if George is not directing even better. I enjoy the whole mythology and universe the man has crafted, I am just not a fan of his directing. The two star wars movies I loved, episode 5 and 6, were both not directed by him. And though I have not watched the clone wars cartoon series I have heard a lot of good things about it.

10 October 2012
So we finally see the Sith empire rising again and resist at least for one entire film? That would be awesome. Dark, evil and honest like Batman Begins or The Dark KNight. Beside that I have mixed feelings about that Disney fact. Not sure if they have the guts for pushing out more serious and dark films.
But Lucas did make a money printing machine out of its empire and it was a comprehensible act of management to get the company one possible step further. If that is good or bad, I cant say but for following generations probably no deal. They dont have the connections as we do. I can remember that my dad one day brought A New Hope on a roll of film home and we watched it on a projector. That was epic.

Blog

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: 1) Disney now owns all Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and ILM (the company that once owned Pixar), as well as the trademark for "Android" or "Droid". Disney will now own all intellectual property rights with some distribution and licensing exceptions based on existing deals, much like how Universal still has the Marvel theme park license for a while yet.

2) Much was made of Disney's global licensed product and distribution reach making better use of LucasFilm licenses, with all emphasis on the $4.05 billion paid being relative to the value of the Star Wars franchise. For example, this would imply that any Star Wars (and Indiana Jones?) licensed comic books will now go under Marvel once the current Star Wars/Dark Horse contract ends, and video games would go through Disney Interactive.
\UPDATE 1:: Bob Iger: "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms"

3) Disney plans to release a new Star Wars movie every 2-3 years starting in 2015. All of them will be in 3D.

4) Star Wars Episodes 7, 8, and 9 will be a trilogy. The treatment is done, is in "early stage development", and the movies are to be released every other year.

5) ILM will remain a studio-agnostic gun for hire. Disney does not want to change anything about how they operate.

6) Fox retains ownership and distribution of all existing Star Wars movies (until that contract expires...?). All future films will be distributed solely by Disney, unlike Paramount retaining partial distribution rights when Marvel was acquired. No mention was made of who now owns the Star Wars Holiday Special.

With that amount of money, I would have bought the ranch too.

10 October 2012
Oh sweet! Next we'll see Darth Vader and Indy burst into random song and dance every now and then in an endless stream of upcoming toddler-suitable sequels.

Looks like Disney is becoming the Borg of the Entertainment biz.

Cheers!

10 October 2012
1. We have already seen Han Solo sing in that Xbox Kinect game. And it was approved by Lucas.

2. Did any of the Avengers sing in their movies since Marvel got bought by Disney?

All this is getting ridiculous. Disney is a megacorporation now and not just Mickey Mouse.

10 October 2012
@TheRazorsEdge - I think the phrase you're looking for is:
Looks like Disney is becoming the Autodesk of the Entertainment biz.

10 October 2012
I agree that Disney made a good Avengers, but lets not forget about the awefull Captain America, Ironman 2, Pirates4, Cars2, etc. They are really good in milking a franchise and i dont see them having the guts to take a risk like Warner on DC comics. its somehow impossible to see a dark/Adult oriented marvel comic by Disney like what we saw with Batman and maybe the new Superman, and this is exactly what a new starwars needs.and what John Carter needed and it was why it failed ... (although i cant see how a new starwars movie can be of any fun ! )

Plus i don't like the way Pixar is going right now, its like they are not what they used to be anymore.

and one of the things i liked about Star wars, was how it was made independently from a Hollywood system.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by kmest: I agree that Disney made a good Avengers, but lets not forget about the awefull Captain America, Ironman 2, Pirates4, Cars2, etc.

Since I refuse to take one person's opinion as an overall acceptance or nonacceptance of a film as a whole, I will then refer to rottentomatoes to say that both Captain (80%) and Ironman 2 (75%) [and Avengers at 92%] were highly critically praised and both made a ton of money. And neither will have anywhere close to the quality of screenwriters and director options a new Star Wars film will garner. Not to mention the ridiculous budget it will get ala Avengers +. There's obviously no guarantee with any film for high quality but if this got Whedon, Abrams, Bird, or Nolan on it, I'd bet my house behind it. I realize something as popular as Star Wars is going to automatically generate a mass amount of hate, but I beckon people to keep an open mind. I remember when Nolan took over Batman and the same 'I can't believe they are bringing this up from the dead again' opinions were being thrown around online. Star Trek to some degree as well. I'm just sayin...

Last edited by MrPositive : 10 October 2012 at 11:22 AM.

10 October 2012
Other directors I've seen suggested, who'd make some pretty interesting choices: Neil Blomkamp, Alfonso Cuaron, Duncan Jones...

10 October 2012
It just won't be the same without the 20th Century Fox fanfare at the beginning. That was as much a part of the experience as anything. Now it will be stupid Tinkerbell flying over a castle. *cringe*

Also you can kiss the Star Wars fan film community goodbye, Disney is notoriously litigious when it comes to their properties.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by kmest: i dont see them having the guts to take a risk like Warner on DC comics.

You must have forgotten that Warner ran that franchise into the ground. They had nothing to lose.

I'm excited for the new films, and maybe one day they'll reboot it and we can forget that those original prequels ever happened.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Other directors I've seen suggested, who'd make some pretty interesting choices: Neil Blomkamp, Alfonso Cuaron, Duncan Jones...

If Neil did it.... whoa.

10 October 2012
Personally I have been mostly anti-disney, just because I don't like the watered down content for children. One example is the Pirates of the Carribean, there was so much potential to make it dark and to just have more depth in the story but instead it was weak and close to being a comedy, rather than a fantasy adventure story. Although I don't argue the fact that Disney made good family films and animations, that's their market but in my opinion most of the fans are of a mature age and the question is, can they make content that appeal to a mature audience? Personally I'm doubtful but I will still watch it, simply it is VFX filled and it will no doubt be a big film. However I would probably not like the story but will hope for something unexpected and good.

Since it is a post Return of the Jedi, lets hope there won't be a return of the ewoks. Lol love the pic by ThePriest.

Thread Closed share thread