Disney buying Lucasfilm/ILM! Star wars EP7 in 2015

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #46
Since Princess Leia is now a Disney princess, I have her opening musical number:

"Al-der-an... is a qui-et pla-net...
every day, like the day before.
Al-der-an... is a qui-et pla-net... people uuuup tooo saaaaay:

Ka-boom!
Ka-boom!
Ka-boom ka-boom ka-boom!

Darth Vader's Death Star is
en-ter-ing or-bit,
Gonna blow us all a-way!
Un-less we give them 2... pain in the ass an-droids,
Who have the plans stolen by spies!

(To the tune of "Little Town" from Beauty and the Beast).

Old 10 October 2012   #47
1) Disney now owns all Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and ILM (the company that once owned Pixar), as well as the trademark for "Android" or "Droid". Disney will now own all intellectual property rights with some distribution and licensing exceptions based on existing deals, much like how Universal still has the Marvel theme park license for a while yet.

2) Much was made of Disney's global licensed product and distribution reach making better use of LucasFilm licenses, with all emphasis on the $4.05 billion paid being relative to the value of the Star Wars franchise. For example, this would imply that any Star Wars (and Indiana Jones?) licensed comic books will now go under Marvel once the current Star Wars/Dark Horse contract ends, and video games would go through Disney Interactive.
\UPDATE 1:: Bob Iger: "We're likely to focus more on social and mobile than we are on console. We'll look opportunistically at console, most likely in licensing rather than publishing, but we think that given the nature of these characters and how well known they are, and the storytelling, that they lend themselves quite nicely, as they've already demonstrated to the other platforms"

3) Disney plans to release a new Star Wars movie every 2-3 years starting in 2015. All of them will be in 3D.

4) Star Wars Episodes 7, 8, and 9 will be a trilogy. The treatment is done, is in "early stage development", and the movies are to be released every other year.

5) ILM will remain a studio-agnostic gun for hire. Disney does not want to change anything about how they operate.

6) Fox retains ownership and distribution of all existing Star Wars movies (until that contract expires...?). All future films will be distributed solely by Disney, unlike Paramount retaining partial distribution rights when Marvel was acquired. No mention was made of who now owns the Star Wars Holiday Special.

I'm continuing to update that post and will be tweeting as I go through my recording of the call. Here's The Beard and Kathleen Kennedy talking about the future of Star Wars, a video just released today:

This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 10 October 2012 at 03:59 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #48
Ya know... I have mixed feelings about this-

-even tho it's really not my place to have any feelings in the matters of another man.

Yes, I have been as critical as the next guy in some of his cretive decisions... but I have always admired, respected and envied his independance. How he created most of the movies from his own pocket, how he retained all rights and built this empire of his.

Even how he told the Director's Guild to pound sand and quit over the issue of opening credits. I loved him for that.

And now he is selling it all over to The System. Well, I suppose every man hits that point to move on, and it IS his to hand over.

It still shocks me.

Old 10 October 2012   #49
Originally Posted by hypercube: From the AICN rundown of the live streamed conference call on the merger:

"ILM will remain a studio-agnostic gun for hire. Disney does not want to change anything about how they operate."

I'd be more concerned for the future of ILM than the Star Wars franchise. Remember what happened to Dream Quest Images?

Old 10 October 2012   #50
Interesting that FOX retains the rights to the old films.

I'm looking forward to Alien vs Predator vs Ewok!

-AJ

Old 10 October 2012   #51
Originally Posted by Artbot: Rather shockingly, the deal includes everything: LFL, Lucasarts, Skywalker Sound, ILM, the whole shabang.

Yeah, Tim Schaffer is already confused why everyone is talking about SW instead of Monkey Island or Grim Fandango

Old 10 October 2012   #52
Originally Posted by leigh: Another Star Wars? F*ck off.

Reconsider... Whedon, Bird, Abrams, and so on. There are so many talented directors and storytellers our there, and now there's a chance that some of the best will get to be involved.

This can be good.

Old 10 October 2012   #53
Well I for one nearly fainted when heard about this

FXGuide have already put out an article on it: fxguide.com/featured/disney-buys-lucasfilm-and-thus-ilm/

- Jesus

Old 10 October 2012   #54
I think Disney is better equipped to handle Howard The Duck.

Old 10 October 2012   #55
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Whedon, Bird, Abrams, and so on. There are so many talented directors and storytellers our there, and now there's a chance that some of the best will get to be involved.

This can be good.

I agree. These things are completely dependent on who is writing and who is directing. Look at the differences in quality of the Batman films dependent upon who was screenwriting and directing. Not to mention that several of the New Republic era books have been New York Times Bestsellers, so they aren't hurting for quality storytelling if need be. I wonder if we'll finally get to see the Yuuzhong Vong (which would be completely new and different), and how can somebody else play Solo or Luke!? hehehe
More Star Wars films were going to get made regardless, as there are just too many fans. I just rejoice that it's not Lucas any longer.

Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: I think Disney is better equipped to handle Howard The Duck.

You must have somehow recently missed Tangled and The Avengers. I mean if they got Abrams, Nolan, Bird, Whedon, Del Toro, or somebody of that caliber on this, watch out.

Last edited by MrPositive : 10 October 2012 at 08:28 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #56
Cool. More SW movies, doesn't get much better than that after some of the recent %#*+ masquerading as entertainment I have seen

Old 10 October 2012   #57
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: Yeah, Tim Schaffer is already confused why everyone is talking about SW instead of Monkey Island or Grim Fandango

Bahahahahahahahaha!!! If you only knew.....

Old 10 October 2012   #58
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: ...And now he is selling it all over to The System. Well, I suppose every man hits that point to move on, and it IS his to hand over.

I have no idea what he's like as a person but I like to think a large part of the decision is wanting to hand over his empire to someone who will take proper care of it. Sure, Disney might not philosophically represent the same thing, but there's no doubt that the people at Disney will know how to keep the company alive and profitable. Given the large number of people who are employed with Lucasarts, I can't think of a better decision for them.

Old 10 October 2012   #59
Originally Posted by MrPositive: and how can somebody else play Solo or Luke!?

We have a new Enterprise with a new Kirk, Spock, McCoy and the others and it worked out reasonably well IMHO (granted, I'm not a diehard fan of the original) and Ewan MacGregor was pretty good as the young Obi-Wan, too. Bale was a good Batman, Fassbender was great as Magneto... It could work with the right people. Disney's been taking good care of the Marvel stuff so far, and I'm sure the best of the best would be ready to line up for the chance.

Old 10 October 2012   #60
I couldn't resist;

Thread Closed share thread