Movies that "made a differance"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #61
Well having been brought up outside the US I can say that In all honesty I like
US cinema. And I have seen A LOT of films.
Actually I love it.

I guess Some people like steak, I guess I like a big mac.

And to be frank in this conversation we have mentioned a ton of films from around the world.
We talked about the golden age of german cinema (M, Metropolis)
Japanese cinema (Kurosawa) ,French Cinema (Thruffaut)
and german films like (Aguirre and Das Booth).

And Pans Labyrinth is one of my favorite scifi films EVER and it is Spanish.

Hell the master of French cinema was one the freaking leads in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Let not derail the thread. Lets talk talk about good films.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 11 November 2012   #62
Originally Posted by kelgy: from the OP's message I thought he meant changed society as a whole for better or worse.
Obviously movies can change people's perception.

If you change enough people's perception, or even the perception of the right individual person, you change society as a whole. I'm sure countless films have changed the world in ways that their makers will never no, because they (perhaps subconsciously) influenced the thinking of people who went on to change the world.

Old 11 November 2012   #63
Don't Look Now and The Wicker Man.

Old 11 November 2012   #64
Sorry, I certainly didn't mean to derail the thread especially such a good one. It was really more of a general observation. I don't think anyone has mentioned documentary film but there are a few greats that definitely have changed peoples lives and thinking. Errol Morris' Thin Blue Line successfully saved a man from death row and was a major influence in that field. I also love Alone in the Wilderness made by Richard Proenneke, a man who moved to the high mountains of Alaska, built himself a log cabin and ultimately lived there for years,mostly self sufficiently.

Old 11 November 2012   #65
Originally Posted by Meloncov: If you change enough people's perception, or even the perception of the right individual person, you change society as a whole. I'm sure countless films have changed the world in ways that their makers will never no, because they (perhaps subconsciously) influenced the thinking of people who went on to change the world.

I was just talking about war.
That war will continue to happen regardless of what movies are made about it.
I think the attitudes towards compulsory military service have changed in the last hundred years in North America (which I cant assume has anything to do with movies) but not war in general. I dont think most people think wars are awesome but they either find ways to defend it or simply arent in a position to stop them.

War movies that I watched recently that I find interesting:

Fail Safe
Zulu
Zulu Dawn (towards the end it feels a bit like a British version of a Rambo film with them seeking to rescue the Union Jack flag).

On the language thing I think the Japanese version of Godzilla is a much better movie than the english edited one.

Old 11 November 2012   #66
Originally Posted by kelgy: I was just talking about war.
That war will continue to happen regardless of what movies are made about it.
I think the attitudes towards compulsory military service have changed in the last hundred years in North America (which I cant assume has anything to do with movies) but not war in general. I dont think most people think wars are awesome but they either find ways to defend it or simply arent in a position to stop them.

I think you're making a bit of a false dichotomy. War obviously isn't going to go away any time soon, but anti-war sentiment absolutely can make wars rarer and shorter.

Old 11 November 2012   #67
Originally Posted by Meloncov: I think you're making a bit of a false dichotomy. War obviously isn't going to go away any time soon, but anti-war sentiment absolutely can make wars rarer and shorter.

I disagree with that optimistic prediction but I hope you are right.
From what I have read wars in the 20th century did change-civilian casualties increased dramatically compared to soldier deaths due to technological changes--aerial carpet bombing, etc.
I dont think human nature hasnt changed much since the time of Homer--I think that's why his work or Shakespeare still has relevance today.

Old 11 November 2012   #68
As for movies that made a difference, Cry freedom. I don't think people actually understood the extent of suppression that south africans were under.

Old 11 November 2012   #69
Originally Posted by kelgy:

Fail Safe
Zulu
Zulu Dawn (towards the end it feels a bit like a British version of a Rambo film with them .

The ending of Fail Safe it is like a punch to the gut.

If you want to see a similar film look for a little known film called

By Dawn's Early Light
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099197/

and Zulu has an freaking incredible soundtrack by John Barry (it is so good I have it on CD).
EDIT
another influential film was
War Games
It introduced the hacker culture to the world.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 11 November 2012 at 03:18 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #70
2001: A Space Odyssey
Metropolis
Citizen Cane
A Clockwork Orange
Dr. Stranglove
Grave of the Fireflies
The Matrix
A Beautiful Mind
Birth of a Nation
War Games
Bladerunner
Tron
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn
Run Lola Run
SLC Punk
Dancer in the Dark
LinkedIn

Old 11 November 2012   #71
So perhaps the thread should be retitled to "movies I like" or "movies that had an impact on me" instead of the vague "made a difference" line?

Old 11 November 2012   #72
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: The ending of Fail Safe it is like a punch to the gut.

If you want to see a similar film look for a little known film called

By Dawn's Early Light
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099197/

and Zulu has an freaking incredible soundtrack by John Barry (it is so good I have it on CD).
EDIT
another influential film was
War Games
It introduced the hacker culture to the world.

I remember it and the book

another one is NBC's mini-series from the early 80's called WWIII
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_..._(TV_miniseries)
not sure if it made a difference, but it showed/shows how events can get out of hand and escalate resulting in global thermonuclear war.

As a cold war warrior, in the early 70's I read a tech book called On Global Thermonuclear War which goes into details of the effects of such an event. One chilling quote in the book is from Nikita Khrushchev, a past Russian Premier when describing a global nuclear war, "the living will envy the dead".

back to the topic, perhaps it was a combination of movies and actions by people driven by said movies which precipitated the anti-nuclear/anti-war movements. we will never know if they actually "made a difference" but a difference was made.
Get more discussion results

Last edited by unclebob : 11 November 2012 at 02:06 AM.

Old 11 November 2012   #73
Sorry if it's been mentioned but "The Exorcist" scared the hell out of me when I was little. That's really influenced my concept what "scary" is as an artist.

Old 11 November 2012   #74
I don't watch those kinds of movies. No explosions.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 11 November 2012   #75
Originally Posted by Tama: So perhaps the thread should be retitled to "movies I like" or "movies that had an impact on me" instead of the vague "made a difference" line?

Or those films listed could be film we think have made a difference to people's perception of the world around us and how we interact with it.
Doesn't seem vague to me seems pretty straight forward.

Thread Closed share thread