Movies that "made a differance"

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Movies that "made a differance"

We all know the entertainment value of movies. Sometimes we watch them, enjoy them and go about our business.

Other movies touch us personally and we love them for it. They hit a nerve, make us happy, bring joy to our lives or made us think.

Many here watched a movie once upon a time and said "I want to be a part of that" and here you are years later working on movies as a way to make a living.

But I was wondering can you think of a movie that changed the world or changed anything for the positive or negative?

Recently I watch an Asian film from South Korea called "Silenced"
It is based on a true story of "deaf children" who were abused at their boarding school.

So powerful was the movie it affected an entire country. And made real changes.

Quote: Depicting both the crimes and the court proceedings that let the teachers off with minimal punishment, the film sparked public outrage upon its September 2011 release, which eventually resulted in a reopening of the investigations into the incidents. With over 4 million people in Korea having watched the film, the demand for legislative reform reached all the way to the National Assembly, where a revised bill, dubbed the Dogani Bill, was passed in late October 2011 to abolish the statute of limitations for sex crimes against minors and the disabled.

What movies do you think or know of that have changed things?

Old 10 October 2012   #2
James Cameron's AVATAR struck a chord with many people in China and called attention to the way the government sometimes re-possesses property.

http://worldfocus.org/blog/2010/01/...se-public/9192/

I also think "The Shinjuku Incident" was very powerful... as sort of a reminder that a country should take care of its people better so that they do not take extreme means to leave and end up in a worse place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drdQ2lVpyWg

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Down here in Argentina we had a movie called "Rati horror show" ("Rati" is a pejorative term that offenders use to refer to the police). It´s a documental movie about a case where an innocent person was held in prision for years withouth a trial. The movie had the director (Enrique Piñeyro) and his family threatened to death. But, as the movie gained attention, the man in jail had to be released for lack of any evidence. The story is longer than that, and pretty interesting. I think it´s brilliant a director actually achieved the freedom of a man with a movie.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
I was going to list some but a lot of them are posted here. People have many different yardsticks.
http://www.socialedge.org/discussio...e-november-2003

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Cloud Atlas and Looper are two recent films that left me thinking of how fast life can fly by and to cherish every moment. Highly recommended films!

Old 10 October 2012   #6
There are very well made anti-war films that made a serious difference to people's perception of what realworld war is like - hellish.

In this category, I would list:

- Full Metal Jacket
- Platoon
- The Deer Hunter
- Apocalypse Now
- Born on the 4th of July
- Empire of the Sun
- Casualties of War
- Birdy
- The Battle of Algiers
- No Man's Land
- Hotel Rwanda
- Doctor Strangelove
- Saving Private Ryan
- The Thin Red Line
- Flags of our Fathers
- Letters from Iwo-Jima
- Downfall
- Black Hawk Down
- Blood Diamond

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Originally Posted by DePaint: - Hotel Rwanda

Ugh I hate this movie, so stupid with bad acting.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: Ugh I hate this movie, so stupid with bad acting.

Hotel Rwanda is the only film on the list that I haven't seen personally. I included it because Wikipedia listed it under "Anti-War Movies".

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Originally Posted by DePaint: - Full Metal Jacket
- Apocalypse Now
- The Thin Red Line

My three favourite war films of all time. The Thin Red Line, in particular, is one of the most poignant, beautiful and tragic films I've ever seen, and is very unique in the genre of war films, as it's not about action, but deep introspection (the other two at quite introspective too, especially Apocalypse Now, but not nearly as much as The Thin Red Line). It's truly a work of art.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
So how it's CG-related?

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Originally Posted by leigh: The Thin Red Line, in particular, is one of the most poignant, beautiful and tragic films I've ever seen, and is very unique in the genre of war films, as it's not about action, but deep introspection (the other two at quite introspective too, especially Apocalypse Now, but not nearly as much as The Thin Red Line). It's truly a work of art.

The Thin Red Line is a brilliant film, especially visually. Too bad that Terence Malick's more recent "Tree of Life", while visually quite poetic too, wasn't as good.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Originally Posted by mister3d: So how it's CG-related?

I think they probably used spreadsheet software for the accounts management on most or all of those films, so that's a form of "computer graphics." It's a graphical spreadsheet on a computer, right?

Old 10 October 2012   #13
I dont think war films ever change people's perception of war. Was it Truffaut who said that war movies cant help but glamorize it?

The Godfather likely changed the way people working in the mafia regarded their "special thing."

Jaws is said to have led to the targeted hunting of great white sharks--and Benchley eventually regretted writing the book since it demonized sharks.

Capricorn One helped push the Moon landing was fake idea.

JFK led to a greater belief in assassination conspiracy theories.

ET caused a big jump in reese's pieces sales.

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Originally Posted by kelgy: I dont think war films ever change people's perception of war. Was it Truffaut who said that war movies cant help but glamorize it?

The opening scene of Saving Private Ryan, in the cinema, with surround sound, was the first time I really went "Man oh man is war a brutal, savage thing!".

No war movie I had watched before had had that much effect on me.

So yes, a well made war film can change your perception of war. A lot, imho.

Old 10 October 2012   #15
Well applying the topic as CG related, I was more heavily drawn to CG after seeing District 9 and seeing that it had quite a few students from VFS that worked on it (http://www.vfs.com/enterd9). That was because at the time I was highly looking at attending that school so it had more relevance with me.

The Transformers films also drew me in a bit (only for the visual effects aspect) because of how complicated the animations were. I just wanted to be a part of a community capable of creating anything creative minds wanted.

Thread Closed share thread