CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-30-2012, 12:55 PM   #31
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Well, that and their, you know, anonymity. I don't necessarily disagree with their views, actually. I just find their approach a little lacking. I guess I've always distrusted anonymity.

If they dropped their anonymity, they would be arrested instantly, wherever they happen to be, and sent to kangaroo courts that would potentially sentence them to several years in prison for doing nothing more than a little activism haxxoring here and there...

I can thus understand why Anonymous wish to remain "anonymous".

Old 10-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragdoll
you all do realize that "anonymous" isn't a specific group of people or a single person right? the anon you heard about from previous news could be different from another anon.

Anon is anyone with a 'V' mask, an internet connection, and a rudimentary knowledge of After effects....

Old 10-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #33
vfx
Lead TD

portfolio
Dominic Alderson
Lead TD / Artist / Film Maker
United Kingdom

Quote:
This.

I'm getting pretty tired of their self-appointed role as sheriffs of the universe.

How different are they to the men behind those walls in Parliament?
Revolutions would never happen nor change if no one stood up.

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #34
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfx
How different are they to the men behind those walls in Parliament?

The politicians in the House of Commons were democratically elected. Furthermore, they're neither anonymous nor secretive, and all of their decisions are open to criticism and scrutiny without fear of retribution for doing so.

Anonymous is like the House of Lords. They were not democratically elected by the people, nor are they qualified in any way, shape or form to be wielding power, yet they stick their noses into everyone's business and take action, regardless of whether we want it or not.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #35
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

Anonymous is like the House of Lords. They were not democratically elected by the people, nor are they qualified in any way, shape or form to be wielding power, yet they stick their noses into everyone's business and take action, regardless of whether we want it or not.

This very astute observation also runs parallel with the vatican and it's minions....

Old 10-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #36
HFnord

Too political yet? You can discuss Anonymous until the proverbial cows come home and no doubt you all will. Just wanted to chime in with the painfully obvious observation that Zynga seems to have slipped from this discussion completely.
Carry on...

Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #37
Ephisus
Veteran

portfolio
Joel Loukus
Baltimore, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFnord
Too political yet? You can discuss Anonymous until the proverbial cows come home and no doubt you all will. Just wanted to chime in with the painfully obvious observation that Zynga seems to have slipped from this discussion completely.
Carry on...

As well it should, principles trump circumstance.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #38
Zykras
Digital Explorer

portfolio
Stanislaw Menschow
3D Artist / Developer
Miysis
Brussels, Belgium

Quote:

As others mentioned, Anonymous is not a specific group. It's like talking about "Activists" in general, just that they operate online. And they operate for very different projects, so it's weird to talk about "them" as a specific group.
That said, I'm never sure if their actions are actually helpful or just human frustration added up to a point where they just go out and "f*ck stuff up" because they can't sit still anymore.
Some try actual solutions and others just want to show that also the "small people" have power ... the only problem is:
It does show some power, but usually it doesn't help.

The people who actually work on a solution don't have this big media hype, because it's not interesting to watch people change the world slowly. It's real and boring, because there aren't so many big emotions and heroes.
Will Zynga change their politics? Or will they respond even worse? Will there be a new internet-war?
Stay tuned for the next episode of "Heroes of the Internet" ... sigh.

Last edited by Zykras : 10-30-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Old 10-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #39
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread