Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

I see Anonymous as being pretty much analogous to GreenPeace or other real-world NGOs/pressure groups.

When governments, corporations and the general public fail to do the right thing with regards to something that concerns the IT/Internet realm, Anonymous step in with some select actions.

They really aren't very different from more traditional realworld activists.

The sole difference is that Anonymous chooses the Internet/Cyberspace, rather than the streets, as their battleground.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:50 PM   #17
Locutus
I assimilate

portfolio
Sean Bellinger
Senior 3D Animator
SixFoot, LLC.
Magnolia, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuss
Anonymous is like a kid who found the key to his dad's weapons locker and is now playing sheriff in real life...

I, for one, am very uncomfortable that an organization with so little discipline is wielding so much power.

Who watches the watchmen, indeed!
LinkedIn

Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM   #18
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

So Anonymous is threatening to release all Zynga's games for free? Aren't they "free" to begin with? There seems to be some rather large holes in their attack plan. Has Anonymous ever followed through with one of their pre-announced attacks? (That's a serious question.)

Old 10-29-2012, 05:45 PM   #19
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
The sole difference is that Anonymous chooses the Internet/Cyberspace, rather than the streets, as their battleground.

Well, that and their, you know, anonymity. I don't necessarily disagree with their views, actually. I just find their approach a little lacking. I guess I've always distrusted anonymity.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
Ephisus
Veteran

portfolio
Joel Loukus
Baltimore, USA

Quote:
They really aren't very different from more traditional realworld activists.

Like any of those activists, they should be judged case by case by the nature of their beliefs. Threatening people or groups of people for exercising their own will doesn't cast them in a good light.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 AM   #21
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPixolin
I certainly am not going to say anything bad about them online.

Words of wisdom there.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:04 AM   #22
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Wink interesting

I don't know what to say anymore.

Why don't Anon attack Apple for moving their operation to China (if I remember correctly, Apple was once manufactured in US), and bring all the job back? Apple do have a lot of cash?

But, there was enough article on this topic that it just impossible. And even Gorilla glass (also if I remember correctly) have to move their operation there, since its much more viable to be just next door to Apple related factory.

If that the case, why must Anon get angry when Zynga do the same (moving jobs elsewhere cheaper).

I read a poster that mentioned why must the job be moved on India when the creatives are bringing them billion? (I havent seen Znyga cashflow. but I don't know that loss can be minimized or not by removing redundancy).

Question is, why Anon doesn't attack Apple, or any other profitable company that outsource to cheaper country? I mean, outsourcing in programming have been big ever since 2000, if I'm correct.

And who will fight for TV workers in US when all miniseries are made in Vancuver (I know there are union and all that, subsidy and all that, but we are still talking about bringing jobs back to the US)

Who watch the Watchmen indeed...

Old 10-30-2012, 01:27 AM   #23
BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

All the while FBI are stepping up their tactics too. At the end all of this will lead to an even greater police state (in the internet world) and normal folk will lose out while corporations won't ever struggle to make more profit.

Groups like Anonymous are good to maybe raise awareness but they'll be always as fruitless as they've been in actually changing anything. Only the American voter Joe can change things around by appointing people who will change the legislature. But, of course, everyone is too busy watching the modern high school popularity contest that is the elections.

I don't see what Zynga/Apple are doing wrong? They're operating within their legal bounds. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #24
slebed
Visual Effects Supervisor

portfolio
Stephen Lebed
Visual Effects Supervisor
Mechnology
Glendale, USA

Quote:
I see Anonymous as being pretty much analogous to GreenPeace or other real-world NGOs/pressure groups.

The difference between Anonymous and Greenpeace or other NGO's, is that the latter doesn't commit crimes to express their views. Anonymous does, which is why they need to be anonymous.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #25
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Besides, it is a good thing to be anonymous, looking at the topics they are willing to touch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinkin...Rainbow_Warrior

Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #26
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
So Anonymous is threatening to release all Zynga's games for free? Aren't they "free" to begin with?

Yes, but if all assets and everything else get released, you will see competing clones popping up like mushrooms, and since it's easy and hardly regulated to get a FB app out, and FB offers cents per ads to app developers, it might wipe out a good chunk of their users.
Might, and ifs abund though.

Quote:
There seems to be some rather large holes in their attack plan.

They usually don't have plans except for a few rare exceptions. It's hardly a structured and complex action they propose, they just want to threaten immediate retaliation with whatever they could get (or say they do).
I somehow doubt Zynga will change plans for it, at most they might delay or stagger some announcements and actions. Giving in to this one on account of these people releasing their code would be the equivalent of "negotiating with terrorists" for most countries, something you don't do for many reasons, because the immediate gains usually translate into long term ballsack squeezing and even worse damage.

Quote:
Has Anonymous ever followed through with one of their pre-announced attacks? (That's a serious question.)

Here and there, yes. The SOPA induced attacks might be worthy of notice, most of the rest someone gets some lucky hacks, and post-facto they claim it and pin it onto some cause, but rarely those were pre-announced (probably because you announce and fail your group gets instantly wiped off the face of the internet).

Free Maya Nodes

Old 10-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #27
Hun
Veteran

Quote:
and Greenpeace or other NGO's, is that the latter doesn't commit crimes to express their views.

You are aware that unlawful entry has been the No.1 Greenpeace method of choice for long?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze

I don't see what Zynga/Apple are doing wrong? They're operating within their legal bounds. Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Annoying 'rap-lingo' aside, I completely agree with this. Although it's always a severe blow to hear of these ruthless bastard companies discarding of employees so casually. Treating the very people who put their Billion dollars in the bank like pieces of s**t; this, unfortunately, is corporate capitalism in all it's glory; free trade, the global markets, open economic-border policies.

Although I despise corporations this is what they do. IBM supplied the Nazis in the second world war. Profiteers and industrialists tried to prolong it for their own gain. They will stop at nothing.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #29
CrustedInk
Veteran

portfolio
Daniel Rath
Freelance 3D Generalist
Berlin, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to CrustedInk
i think, its always hard to say something against anon in general, because there is not a real "group" or organization behind. do something in the internet, say you are anonymous and done, and thats kind of the idea behind and also there biggest problems. there is no mastermind, no general plan or anything like this. just some random people grouping up and doing something against someone (who does unfair things in there eyes). and i bet someone from zynga started the whole thing..

so actually you should just action by action.. but every bad action will damage the reputaion of anon

Old 10-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #30
ragdoll
abuser of the ellipses...

rj torralba
animator
Telltale
USA

you all do realize that "anonymous" isn't a specific group of people or a single person right? the anon you heard about from previous news could be different from another anon.

Thread Closed share thread