CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #31
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPixolin
I have tried mods, texture packs, resolutions, settings in game and Nvidia control panel, disabling SLI, updating drivers, reverting drivers, custom .ini files.
I rather just pop it in Xbox and just play. Isn't that what it is for?
Do people find enjoyment in tinkering with games to get them to work?

Yes! I had Maya running perfectly fine on a PC, but I decided to install Linux and get it running on that just for fun. Took almost a week of installing packages, libs, trolling google, dealing with autodesk support, and copying and pasting console commands, but I eventually got it working.

My next PC is totally going to be something like this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834685106

I've got an Intel 860 CPU, and an AMD 5570 GPU. Maya runs great on it, and as soon as a tablet has those types of specs, I'm all over it.

Sorry to go off topic by talking about Maya. Just replace Maya with Battlefield 3 to make it relevant.

-AJ

Old 10-28-2012, 04:53 AM   #32
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

What I see happening eventually is that the device will be irrelevant--it would be something like OnLive or Gaikai, except instead of just games, you'd have access to movies and music and even software. And then you'd be able to access the same content from any device, so a phone wouldn't need much power, just enough for streaming. And you wouldn't need much power for a home console since that could stream as well. In those cases you'd be able to play the same games on any device and wouldn't have to worry about upgrading your computer, or phone, or console since the service provider would be controlling that type of thing.

Of course, the worry for people like us is that we need power and speed and dependability, in that type of situation it would end up that the hardware we need for 3D would be super expensive since less people would need it. Also a worry would be that development for new hardware would slow since people wouldn't be upgrading as much, and the service providers could easily improve their performance without having to upgrade to new hardware.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #33
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

The next consoles generation will be released, and will last for another 5 years. Consoles are cheaper to maintain for gaming. Mobiles are nice, but... well if you can plug them into your output big screen, then it can compete. But hardware-wise only at the end of cycle of consoles.

What worries me is as hardware power increases, each next leap is more evident, so consoles become older faster. To keep up for the next 5 years, it should at least run the quality of UE4 engine demonstrated. If not, I'd opt for PC games on the same engine. That's the problem.
If it won't run this kind of quality, it's a big fail. They must demonstrate something, which will show the difference why we should purchase it. If games will look 20% better than current, who needs those consoles.

So yes, mobile devices are slowly eating up the market share of consoles. The only benefit consoles can propose is impressive graphics. So, they will have to try this time much more. They need a better lighting and better shaders. Games have lots of details, but the lighting is so poor I barely play any games, as it breaks any feeling of realism for me.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #34
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

Yes, that's one issue. I don't know whether the average person will be able to tell much of a difference. From a technical standpoint they should have some pretty big jumps just from simple things. Like currently games on consoles are 720p so a new console should be able to handle 1080p 3D just fine, and have higher resolution textures, better AA and things like that. I think though that most people wouldn't notice changes like that.

I'm wondering if maybe there will be a big jump though just considering what hardware is available now compared to what's currently in consoles, the stuff they can get out of an Xbox 360 is pretty amazing and its stats are so low. Of course that's because they've had quite a long time to improve methods. But you would think that with today's hardware and that kind of work you could get some pretty amazing games

Old 10-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #35
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthviper107
I think though that most people wouldn't notice changes like that.

Exactly. Because the current generation delivered quite this. We need new lighting and materials, as well as hair, clothing and physics.
Quote:
I'm wondering if maybe there will be a big jump though just considering what hardware is available now compared to what's currently in consoles, the stuff they can get out of an Xbox 360 is pretty amazing and its stats are so low. Of course that's because they've had quite a long time to improve methods. But you would think that with today's hardware and that kind of work you could get some pretty amazing games

Theoretically, but some specs look strange, as you can get 16 gb of RAM for 50$ and still they plan 2-4 gb. We'll see, but it looks suspicious. Though if they make mistakes like this, they will pay a high price for them.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:33 PM   #36
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator
NYC, USA

Quote:
What I see happening eventually is that the device will be irrelevant--it would be something like OnLive or Gaikai, except instead of just games, you'd have access to movies and music and even software.

Completely agree. Once the internet infrastructure is upgraded and can handle higher level streaming and consistency across the board this is what we'll be seeing.

As far as PC gaming, I own both consoles and pcs and buy games for each. I will always prefer fps on pc, just cause I hate aiming with a joysticks. Likewise 3rd person adventure/action games will always go to my consoles.

I hear people complain about upgrading their computer, tweaking files and settings, having driver issues, etc. all the time as a reason they hate pc gaming. I really don't understand that, been playing pc games on my five year old machine perfectly fine, never have issues when I boot up a game (seriously, can't think of one time unless I was messing with mods...). I know it comes down to personal experience, but mine has been equally trouble free on both console and PC, and Steam makes me prefer PC to be honest. I love the amazing sales, and being able to download it instantly and have the purchase info saved on Steam's cloud. Plus I sincerely believe playing Skyrim on console and missing out on the mods really takes a huge amount away from the game.

Anyways to each their own. But back on topic, I'd say one more generation of consoles, and then as I agreed with above, some sort of streaming. The concept of phones taking over as gaming devices is something I find laughable.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 10-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #37
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

Quote:
All of it is just more pointless crap that is in the way of just simply playing and enjoying a game. The seemingly never ending process of exiting the game, adjusting settings and .ini files and then restarting the game.

3x gtx 580... maybe it's that that create the problems? Skirym was flawless on my single card and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Sorry to ear you could not enjoy the game...

Still, I miss the graphics from Crysis 1...

There's much more to console gaming than the graphics. There's the basement, the couch, the pouf, the pizza, the beer and the big surround speakers. It should come as a kit.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #38
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwax69
3x gtx 580... maybe it's that that create the problems? Skirym was flawless on my single card and I enjoyed it quite a lot. Sorry to ear you could not enjoy the game...

Still, I miss the graphics from Crysis 1...

There's much more to console gaming than the graphics. There's the basement, the couch, the pouf, the pizza, the beer and the big surround speakers. It should come as a kit.

I think it is the 580 in general. I tried disabling SLI, and every possible setting for SLI .
I have enjoyed the entire game on Xbox, I got it on PC and was going to play it again with a new character.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #39
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
What worries me is as hardware power increases, each next leap is more evident, so consoles become older faster.

That's actually the other way around, each new step adds less and less to the general experience.

The first video games were 2D sprites, moving to 3D was a gigantic leap. The PS2 just made stuff more detailed, the PS3 added nice lighting and shadows, the differences are getting smaller and smaller for the average consumer. That is why the X360 is 7 years old and still not dead.

We're actually close to reaching the point of diminishing returns in graphics.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #40
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
Theoretically, but some specs look strange, as you can get 16 gb of RAM for 50$ and still they plan 2-4 gb. We'll see, but it looks suspicious. Though if they make mistakes like this, they will pay a high price for them.

There's a lot more to console hardware design beyond a specs list. The system needs to fit into a certain power envelope and a relatively small enclosed space (heat!), requires parts that can be easily mass produced and so on. There's also a need to continuously produce hardware revisions that are cheaper and cheaper to make so that the price can come down.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #41
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh
We're actually close to reaching the point of diminishing returns in graphics.

We are currently as much as 15 - 20 years away from truly "Photoreal" Games running in Stereo 3D @ 60FPS.

By that I mean games that look as good as overnight Maxwell Render type images do today.

So I really don't understand where you get your "we are close to reaching the point of diminishing returns" argument from.

As far as I'm concerned, we are over a decade, and maybe even 2 - 3 decades, away from that point.

Games 10 - 20 years from now will look far better than today's best games.

And yes, anyone with a decent pair of eyeballs will be able to tell the difference that level of tech makes.

It is when you have 2 Hour "Feature Film" level realism in interactive games that a certain "point of diminishing returns" will be reached.

Not any time before that...

As for today's best 3D games, people will see them and laugh how "primitive" the 3D graphics and physics and FX of today were, compared to what is available in, say, 2025 to 2030.

So yes, the 4th Generation Consoles from MS/Sony/Nintendo will need to deliver a lot of hardware horsepower to stay popular in the market for 5 - 7 years.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #42
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
That's actually the other way around, each new step adds less and less to the general experience.

Yes, I'm talking about raw performance. How much they can squeeze out of it is another matter. I mean the difference between 256 mb of RAM, then 4 GB and then 16 is dramatic. We will reach the point of diminishing returns when games will have UE4 look.
Actually PS2-PS3 span was doomed, because it could not afford any kind of bearable lighting and good shaders. So that's why PS3 games look a bit outdated, it was just PS2 evolution. But it should change soon. But once again, the next transition will be much, much harder to surprise. I even can't imagine what it could be. We'll see.

Quote:
There's a lot more to console hardware design beyond a specs list. The system needs to fit into a certain power envelope and a relatively small enclosed space (heat!), requires parts that can be easily mass produced and so on. There's also a need to continuously produce hardware revisions that are cheaper and cheaper to make so that the price can come down.

Perhaps so, but once again, if they have the same creepy look without contact shadows and any kind of dynamic GI, I won't purchase. That's their problem. It would be stupid releasing it not being able to maintain the UE4 look after it was announced.

Last edited by mister3d : 10-28-2012 at 06:30 PM.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #43
conbom
Lord of the posts
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

What I fear is not the death of consoles but of video games as we know them.

Mobile, facebook, free to play. They have all been taking bites out of the industry and sucking up a ton of investment. For the most part its low quality and thrives on exploiting human psychology to extract a dollar here and there. For example making the game incredibly frustrating or time consuming unless you pay for credits.

It has more in common with gambling than an art form or medium of expression.

Last edited by conbom : 10-28-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #44
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
I don't get this whole "MMO's are attracting traffic" nonsense:

Forbes: "Worlds of Warcraft Loses 1 Million Players in Three Months"

It seems if you follow all these articles everything is "dead" or "dying".

I'd love to read an article just once that reads: "Tech Sites, Magazines, and Game Review Sites are Dead (Consumers get wise to blatant misinformation and bad journalism)"

Old 10-29-2012, 12:13 AM   #45
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
I don't get this whole "MMO's are attracting traffic" nonsense:

Forbes: "Worlds of Warcraft Loses 1 Million Players in Three Months"

That's just one game, though, even if it's the uncontested leader of the market. With the rise of MMO's proving profitable on a free-to-play model, I suspect the total number of MMO players has increased (though I can't find any hard stats through a casual search).

Thread Closed share thread