Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #16
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

I like my Xbox for the same reason as Leigh I guess. Once Maya is running smoothly on my work machine I like to leave well enough alone and only update drivers when I have to. It's also nice to be able to have a game or two when the computer is tied up waiting for something to render or backing up harddrives etc.

Really enjoying Borderlands 2 BTW

Cheers,
Brian

Old 10-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #17
conbom
Expert
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

Quote:
And that's precisely why I like them. With a console, you buy a game and you know it's going to work on your machine, because the technology hasn't changed. I gave up on PC gaming because I got sick and tired of having to constantly upgrade my machine, patch drivers, and deal with all kinds of annoying issues almost every time I bought a game.

I love my XBox and would never go back to playing on a PC.

Strait up. Also having a fixed platform forces developers to be creative in the way the software and art is produced to get the maximum impact within the limitations, all too often in PC games they brute force the art by applying tessellation or some stupid gimmick with the sole purpose only to justify a 400 card that came out last month.

I personally like the craft that goes into titles like SOC or Zelda, where they push the limits and surprise people, all this talk about free to play and crappy touch screen mobile games being the future and "state of the art" is nonsense. People forget that there is a whole population who grew up with high quality games running on Nintendos and Playstations.

I have played some of the mobile titles with the best "console" graphics and they are honestly some of the worst games i've ever played. Angry birds is the sort of thing mobile touch systems are good at, its pretty much the pinnacle of the platform. Clue right there!

Last edited by conbom : 10-28-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:27 AM   #18
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

Ah, but the PS Vita is a kind of console anyway... It's a lot better than any phone in any case.

Quote:
I gave up on PC gaming because I got sick and tired of having to constantly upgrade my machine, patch drivers, and deal with all kinds of annoying issues almost every time I bought a game.

Really? I update my GPU each 4-5 years (went from a 8600GT to a used GTX285) and not a single problems here. I only updated the driver once. Maybe you play a lot more games than me though...

Old 10-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #19
conbom
Expert
portfolio
ET
United Kingdom

Yeah but if you don't upgrade you end up with a gimped cut down version with no "this is how we intended it to look". Instead of programming the feature they just sell it in a card and brute force it, its highly inefficient. Any time something exciting comes out it requires exponential performance to run, good luck playing any Half life 3, unreal engine 4 etc on that card. Its pretty much obsolete for stuff that hasn't already been released or is a port based on 6-7 year old (Xbox, PS3) architecture

Last edited by conbom : 10-28-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:33 AM   #20
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwax69
Really? I update my GPU each 4-5 years (went from a 8600GT to a used GTX285) and not a single problems here. I only updated the driver once. Maybe you play a lot more games than me though...

I buy 1-2 games a month on average.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #21
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
Maybe in the US, but here it's pretty normal to see kids with iPhones and Blackberry phones, as well as other smartphones.

Also, most gamers are adults.

Yes it is normal for kids to have smartphones here. But to all have the latest and greatest like a iPhone 5 or S3?

Wow, I was way off on the demographics.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #22
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

I have Skyrim on PC and Xbox.
This is what it looks like on my new PC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdsJInDWqHE

I have tried mods, texture packs, resolutions, settings in game and Nvidia control panel, disabling SLI, updating drivers, reverting drivers, custom .ini files.
I rather just pop it in Xbox and just play. Isn't that what it is for?
Do people find enjoyment in tinkering with games to get them to work?

This is apparently fun to some PC players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMqai_nfiA

I have never seen any of this on a console.

Last edited by BigPixolin : 10-28-2012 at 02:50 AM.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 AM   #23
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPixolin
Yes it is normal for kids to have smartphones here. But to all have the latest and greatest like a iPhone 5 or S3?

Wow, I was way off on the demographics.

I don't know what an S3 is, but yeah it's pretty common to see kids with new smartphones.

Regarding demographics, I think most people would find them surprising.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:22 AM   #24
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxys3/

Its the main competitor to the iPhone 5.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:30 AM   #25
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

Quote:
I buy 1-2 games a month on average.

hahaha ok, that's a lot!

Well then, the console market is clearly NOT dead! I just hope they release something new soon enough.

EDIT: still, I dont understand how can they compare phone/tablet games with console games. It's not the same level of immersion at all.

Last edited by earwax69 : 10-28-2012 at 03:34 AM.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:47 AM   #26
Tamagoo
Frequenter
portfolio
Nerijus
Reseda, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Quote:
And that's precisely why I like them. With a console, you buy a game and you know it's going to work on your machine, because the technology hasn't changed. I gave up on PC gaming because I got sick and tired of having to constantly upgrade my machine, patch drivers, and deal with all kinds of annoying issues almost every time I bought a game.

I am sorry, but there is yet to be a game where PC power is to be pushed to its extremes, seeing that almost every game is made for console specifications. Star Citizen might be cutting it. You have to upgrade your console just like you have to with a PC. Patching is not a problem as it is essentially automatic, all it takes is a few clicks and your done.

Although I agree that consoles do have some comforts of their own. I see them as a detriment to technological evolution.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:51 AM   #27
Tamagoo
Frequenter
portfolio
Nerijus
Reseda, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Quote:

I have tried mods, texture packs, resolutions, settings in game and Nvidia control panel, disabling SLI, updating drivers, reverting drivers, custom .ini files.

This is apparently fun to some PC players.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMqai_nfiA

I have never seen any of this on a console.

There is hacking on consoles, experienced it more than once on halo games. And I enjoy how you make it sound that every PC game is troublesome to start right. 30-40 games and the only one I had any problems with was battlefield 3, and that was in alpha stage.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #28
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:

I would normally agree with this being a pro for the console except my current PC build is now 6 years old. That is definitely not normal for the PC market but hey, I'm not complaining. It has always been head and shoulders better than anything the consoles have had.

Quote:

Huh that's weird. I've had odd things happen but never for very long. Vanilla Skyrim runs very well for me. My tweaks and tinkering are usually to make it look even better.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 10-28-2012, 04:36 AM   #29
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamagoo
There is hacking on consoles, experienced it more than once on halo games. And I enjoy how you make it sound that every PC game is troublesome to start right. 30-40 games and the only one I had any problems with was battlefield 3, and that was in alpha stage.

I don't doubt there is hacking on consoles, I just haven't seen it. It is rampant on enough on PC to come across it everyday.
Did I make it sound like every every PC game is troubling? Or was it when you seen the single game I was referring to and automatically assumed I meant all games? Even after I posted BF3 not referring to those issues?

In fact EVERY PC GAME requires some type of settings to be adjusted and tinkered with before playing. If it gives you problems or not is based on the infinite hardware options available. I have 119 games on Steam alone and it is absolutely foolish to say they all run fine with no bugs across all available hardware.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #30
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
Huh that's weird. I've had odd things happen but never for very long. Vanilla Skyrim runs very well for me. My tweaks and tinkering are usually to make it look even better.

Yes very weird. Everything else runs fine, except the water. I also have small issues with the shadow quality, not sure if it is my cards(3x gtx 580's) or the game itself. I can't find a good balance of shadow distance and low res blocky shadows. All of it is just more pointless crap that is in the way of just simply playing and enjoying a game. The seemingly never ending process of exiting the game, adjusting settings and .ini files and then restarting the game.

Thread Closed share thread