Running personal websites/portfolios

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Running personal websites/portfolios

I have seen some very impressive personal sites for artists and decided to get some input from the community. Do artists usually design their own sites or hire someone to help out? are there any simple tools that could make it easy for me to build up my own and maintain it. Many have blog portions which would be nice to show current projects and progress as well but how hard is updating and posting on a self made site?

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Hey man,

A great free hosting service is freehostia. You pay 5 bucks a year for the domain, and you get 6GB of bandwidth a month for free.

http://www.freehostia.com/

If you just need to get a portfolio up and running, try installing Wordpress on your server. Most hosting services offer the option to have it pre installed.

http://wordpress.org/

And of course vimeo works great for demo reels.

http://vimeo.com/

I ended up programming my own custom site, but it took over a week. You can set wordpress up in just a few minutes.

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 10 October 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
I use Wordpress for both my sites and highly recommend it.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Thank you for your responses, since I am just starting out the site I think 5 bucks a year sounds great. Both of your sites look fantastic by the way, so now I will get to work tinkering on my own.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
I am using webs.com now. Quite painless drag and drop with a bunch of base templates to choose from. I am not linking my site because it's not finish yet.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
I used wix.com and pretty happy with the online designing part.its very easy to design your own page.

Old 11 November 2012   #7
I use Wordpress for my websites too. It takes a bit of reading to set up your web servers and install Wordpress but there are loads of tutorials out there. Then for both of my sites I also used paid for themes, but there are free ones too. I used themeforest for one of the themes and you can look over user comments before buying, unfortunately there's no legit way of trying before buying and I had to fix a lot of bugs on of the themes myself. It's still not perfect but in general the paid for themes are much nicer than the free ones and have lots of easy to use interfaces and nice to have features.

I'd recommend the Wordpress route though, it's very flexible, lots of documentation and user forum support and very easy once you get the hang of it. Don't be fooled by it's blogging connotations, you can make really amazing portfolio sites with it too

Old 11 November 2012   #8
I use Blogger, but our team is considering Drupal.

Old 11 November 2012   #9
Originally Posted by leigh: I use Wordpress for both my sites and highly recommend it.

yep, same here - its awesome and totally hassle free.

Old 11 November 2012   #10
I took the majority of the advice and used Wordpress, overall I think it is pretty easy to work with just some minor issues at first. After about 3-4 hours playing with it to build what I wanted I had figured it out enough to set everything up as I had imagined.

Old 11 November 2012   #11
I use blogger myself, but I have seen some people use http://www.wix.com/ which seems to get pretty nice results.

Old 11 November 2012   #12
My main site was developed long before Wordpress came around - which is a shame cause if I ever redid it, I'd totally use Wordpress. It's awesome, easy and anyone can create a site with it.

Most of my other sites are small and non-database driven so simple HTML works.

If you plan to go through heavy bandwidth or host numerous sites (like I do), you're better off getting a dedicated server. But admittedly, that's really only for the circumstances listed above.

-Rich
www.cgsphere.com
www.hatchstudios.com
www.richardrosenman.com

Old 11 November 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread