Softimage vs Lightwave

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Softimage vs Lightwave

Hi,

this is not intended to be any flame thread about which software is better.

I have been using 3ds Max for a while now, doing primarily architectural visualization, but recently i got a job at a VFX studio where i do modeling, surfacing, lighting and rendering in general, not just Archviz, and i can really feel 3ds Max slowing me down. It is just overall very bloated, laggy and unresponsive software with UI design that kills productivity.

Prior to using Max, i was using Softimage (XSI back then) for 2 years, so i have some good base for comparison. Anyway... I recently started to think i will have to ditch Max to again experience that creation freedom i felt back when i was using Softimage.

I can pick any software I want, so i started to get through pros and cons of all the major CG packages: Blender, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Modo, Softimage, Maya, Houdini. After a week of non-stop brainstorming and experimenting only 2 candidates remained - Softimage and Lightwave.

I really love Lightwave's philosophy of interactive rendering workflow, minimalistic UI that leaves lot of estate for creation, as well as simplicity of tools. I also liked what i heard from people using Lightwave, how it boosts their productivity and how flexible it makes them, but then again i could just have fallen victim of NewTek's desperate propaganda. From all the directions, i see, read and hear indications that this software is slowly dying and that less and less big studios are using it, so i could have hard time looking for a job and the time investment could turn out to be a waste.

Then there is of course Softimage, which i am already familiar with, but i am not sure it can offer me the interactive rendering workflow i am looking for... to create in real time without distractions and need to hit render preview button 1000 times a day. To create the scenery i am working on without any pauses and seams created by user interface.

I thought i would ask here, and let more experienced people judge the situation.

So, the question is: Would it be worth to learn Lightwave concerning it's current state, or should i go with Softimage?

10 October 2012
General Discussions Rules - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Number one...

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Thread Closed share thread