Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #31
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

On the casting thing, there was this news article--could well explain why they changed his ethnicity.

So Shane Black is directing it--he may have been the first of Dutch's crew to be killed by the Predator but at least he made Billy laugh.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:52 AM   #32
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
Looks interesting. But does anyone else find it strange that Stark's home doesn't have AA defenses? I mean, he's a huge weapons contractor (or was), and with the number of people he's pissed off, it's hard to believe he'd leave his fortress unprotected. But there I go again, trying to make sense out of a superhero movie.

Stark guard his fortress just like Loki guard his scepter and that "invincible" thingmajik in the Avengers. And don't try to make sense out of a superhero movie, no, you can only do that to Prometheus Joss Whedon fan will get angry if you does. (yeah, I know Iron Man 3 have different director, but you get my point )

Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #33
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO
I seem to be the only person here bothered by the fact that 250Kg worth of metal armor don't push the sofa in more than RDJ's 72Kg without the suit would

You sound just like one of the TD's on my team!

Off-Topic Question: In a big studio production, are SFX/VFX people allowed to escalate things like that back to Writer/Director? "The suit weighs 250 kg and it won't work with the guy sitting down". That kind of stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy
On the casting thing, there was this news article--could well explain why they changed his ethnicity.

Well every CHINESE person I knew was actually excited by the idea that Andy Lau would play a bad guy. Everybody knows it's just a superhero film... Sheesh.

Also everybody knows the bad guy roles are more fun. I thought we already crossed that barrier when Jet Li played the bad guy in Lethal Weapon 4.

But yeah, that's probably the reason....

Old 10-24-2012, 04:31 AM   #34
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
Off-Topic Question: In a big studio production, are SFX/VFX people allowed to escalate things like that back to Writer/Director? "The suit weighs 250 kg and it won't work with the guy sitting down". That kind of stuff.

More or less.
Stuff like that gets pointed out in dailies all the time, and then a mock-up or a correction, or maybe just a note, will be pushed upstream for the vfx supe to decide on (which might or might not need the director to clear it).

Most of the time it's minor fixes and they are done for free or simply cleared internally if it's stuff like that, but some times they might have a cost, and a producer might ask that the question isn't raised officially and it's let go under the radar, or might bundle it into some rebid if there's one going.

Different shops have different amounts and tiers of reviews and interfaces to reach up top, but 99.9% of the time this will amount to the facility vfx supe talking to the studio side show vfx supe, or in the rare occasions the two figures are aligned, to the director, or just making the call outright.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 10-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #35
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
More or less.
Stuff like that gets pointed out in dailies all the time, and then a mock-up or a correction, or maybe just a note, will be pushed upstream for the vfx supe to decide on (which might or might not need the director to clear it).

Most of the time it's minor fixes and they are done for free or simply cleared internally if it's stuff like that, but some times they might have a cost, and a producer might ask that the question isn't raised officially and it's let go under the radar, or might bundle it into some rebid if there's one going.

Different shops have different amounts and tiers of reviews and interfaces to reach up top, but 99.9% of the time this will amount to the facility vfx supe talking to the studio side show vfx supe, or in the rare occasions the two figures are aligned, to the director, or just making the call outright.

I imagine though if they tried to "fix" that Iron Man Suit Sit Down thing... I mean the first thing to suffer would be the blocking or even the mood. Because I think the director might have been going for a certain type of feeling for the scene to have Iron Man sitting on a couch with the helmet open....

So it can quickly end up as an issue on the Writing side.

Either that or. like you said.. "Just don't raise the question to highest levels."

But in animation I find such types of issues are easier to escalate and fix since all the assets are virtual anyway and you just need to invest more render time (which in my view should always be estimated to excess anyway).

Thanks for the tidbit about this though. Guess a robust proof-reading process at script level or a very hard review at storyboard level is very important. To wit, a VFX supe could have called "logic error" on seeing Iron Man sitting down on a couch in storyboards. :P

Old 10-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #36
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Tony makes his own Stark Industries superhero-grade home furnishings.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #37
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube

That or my own favorite response: "It's JUST a movie!"

Old 10-24-2012, 08:03 AM   #38
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan
That or my own favorite response: "It's JUST a movie!"

Useful also for when wondering why he doesn't crush his sofa or how he can withstand direct hits from Mjolnir or 5000 ton space monsters without liquifying inside his suit.

(Something they do talk about a bit in the Extremis comic book, which they are still supposedly including elements from in this)

Old 10-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #39
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube

If he can single-handedly build a magical flying suit that defies physics, I'll let the Active Nano-Mesh Aero-Spring couch technology slide.

You see, in movie-land, Inventor Genius Superheros think ahead when it comes to creature comforts, but not AA defenses.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #40
japetus
3D Trickster

portfolio
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA

Quote:
If he can single-handedly build a magical flying suit that defies physics, I'll let the Active Nano-Mesh Aero-Spring couch technology slide.

You see, in movie-land, Inventor Genius Superheros think ahead when it comes to creature comforts, but not AA defenses.

Maybe Mandarin disabled them in some nefarious scheme!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #41
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

It's all part of the curse of pursuing an interest in the field, when I was young and didn't know anything about film or visual effects everything was awesome. Now at movies I think to myself "that wouldn't work like that...". Same thing happened after I learned guitar, bands I used to think were awesome I became irritated at how simple and repetitive their riffs were. Regardless I am still most likely going to see the movie in theaters to at minimum cherish the hard work artists have put into it.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #42
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by japetus
Maybe Mandarin disabled them in some nefarious scheme!

The Nano-Couch or the AA defenses?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #43
Shletten
Expert

portfolio
Simon Gravel
Montréal, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Shletten
Quote:
I seem to be the only person here bothered by the fact that 250Kg worth of metal armor don't push the sofa in more than RDJ's 72Kg without the suit would
No, it bugged me as well. In the first film his armor was so heavy that he smashed the floor open just by standing up. :/

Old 10-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #44
japetus
3D Trickster

portfolio
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA

Quote:
The Nano-Couch or the AA defenses?

Both I bet...he somehow modifies the binding properties of the Nano-Couch, making it collapse when Stark comes home and goes to recline from a long day of crime fighting. The failure of his $5 million Nano-Couch preoccupies Stark long enough for Mandarin to take out his AA defenses demo charges and then the helicopters, disguised as news copters, come in to blow away his house away! See? Perfect!

Old 10-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #45
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

To get back on track, this is one heck of a trailer. It ticks a lot of boxes of what a good trailer should be, I am excited to learn what will happen to Tony this time around.

Thread Closed share thread