Age and Visa issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Age and Visa issue

Well, i have read on internet these days that, getting work permit, from one of those countries UK, Canada or US, is really hard if you are above 30 years. I am not sure how much i need to get good in animation, so i can get some Jr. Work. at the moment i am 24. i am learning from everything i can found on internet because for i am broke, and getting a cash for do i online course for animation will take me some years, maybe never.

So is the best way to do?

I also heard that, no matter if you reel is awesome, outstanding etc, without degree is impossible to get visa too, plus if u are over 30.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Age should have nothing to do with getting a Visa... Otherwise the governments implementing the policy would quickly be accused of "Age Discrimination", and possibly taken to court by civil rights associations.

A degree on the other hand is quite helpful.

At the end of the day, an employer in the country you seek to work in needs to sponsor your Visa.

As long as an employer really wants you to work for them, getting a Visa shouldn't be a big problem.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Actually I think in Canada, if you are 31 or over it is harder.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Degree is helpful but not necessary, your work is the most important, and there is no age barrier, some guys who are over 33 obtained visa for Canada and U.S.A. without problems this year.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Originally Posted by Zizhy: I am not sure how much i need to get good in animation, so i can get some Jr. Work.

The reality is that no studio is going to sponsor a visa for a junior artist. I'm afraid that's the simple reality that you need to grasp here - in order for a studio to go through all the hassle of immigration attorneys and visa petitions, you really need to have a fair bit of experience that the studio wants, or an absolutely incredible portfolio.

I don't want to sound overly abrasive but this thread and the other one you posted on the weekend kinda look like you're making excuses for yourself. Stop making excuses about your lack of money and age (you're not even old, FFS), and get to work on developing your skills. I come from a shitty country too (your IP suggests you're in Macedonia - at least that's in Europe, I grew up in South Africa, the arse end of the world) and I managed to learn CG and move abroad. And I didn't waste time on internet forums asking everyone how to do it or sit around making excuses and feeling sorry for myself. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but someone has to say it.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Oh and I don't know where you heard about visas being a problem for people over 30, suffice to say that's bullshit. The proper information is easily found on each country's immigration agency website. Have some initiative and look that stuff up before assuming that random stuff you read on the internet is true.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
Originally Posted by leigh: The reality is that no studio is going to sponsor a visa for a junior artist. I'm afraid that's the simple reality that you need to grasp here - in order for a studio to go through all the hassle of immigration attorneys and visa petitions, you really need to have a fair bit of experience that the studio wants, or an absolutely incredible portfolio.

I don't want to sound overly abrasive but this thread and the other one you posted on the weekend kinda look like you're making excuses for yourself. Stop making excuses about your lack of money and age (you're not even old, FFS), and get to work on developing your skills. I come from a shitty country too (your IP suggests you're in Macedonia - at least that's in Europe, I grew up in South Africa, the arse end of the world) and I managed to learn CG and move abroad. And I didn't waste time on internet forums asking everyone how to do it or sit around making excuses and feeling sorry for myself. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh but someone has to say it.

Thanks leigh, could you please tell me, how old was you before you moved, to UK, or US. no idea where did you moved first. but i read your posts here, that you was in US too.

How can i get someone to sponsor me:?

And also how can i get some experience too? Does freelancing count?

Old 10 October 2012   #8
For a regular work visa Age has little bearing on getting said visa for most countries.

However if you are applying for Permenant Residency and Citizenship then age will factor into the process as will your health. In many countries now if you are even obese by the BMI scale which many people are can affect your application as your health risk will become ther problem once you are a perminant resident of that country.

Old 10 October 2012   #9
As a rule of thumb with less than 3 years of professional experience it is unlikely you get anyone interested in sponsoring you.

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Originally Posted by taffy77: For a regular work visa Age has little bearing on getting said visa for most countries.

However if you are applying for Permenant Residency and Citizenship then age will factor into the process as will your health. In many countries now if you are even obese by the BMI scale which many people are can affect your application as your health risk will become ther problem once you are a perminant resident of that country.

I heard that too. Usually if you ere over 50, your chances are slimmer, they will be very picky to your health trying not to permit you to live abroad permanently. Because they don't need you, you won't probably build a family and therefore useless to society. But that doesn't relate to work permit.

To the OP:
no, freelance doesn't count at all. Quite the opposite, they will see you as a person who doesn't want working in the office.
About sponsoring, I like your altitude, though there should be a reason to sponsor you, shouldn't it?

Last edited by mister3d : 10 October 2012 at 03:41 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Originally Posted by Zizhy: Thanks leigh, could you please tell me, how old was you before you moved, to UK, or US. no idea where did you moved first. but i read your posts here, that you was in US too.

How can i get someone to sponsor me:?

And also how can i get some experience too? Does freelancing count?

I was 25 when I first moved abroad, which was to the US. For the UK, I didn't need a regular UK work permit on account of the fact that I come from a British family (I got something called an ancestry visa which allowed me to enter the country and work, and now I'm a permanent resident applying for my citizenship). I got sponsored for the US through a studio that saw my work and liked it enough to hire me. By that point I'd already been working in studios back in my native country for a number of years, so I had quite a lot of experience already.

Freelancing can count but for a visa which may require experience (for some countries, they need you to prove experience), it will have to be verifiable.

But from the sounds of things, you are still a beginner, so my advice would be to focus on learning. Worry about experience later.

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Originally Posted by mrcain: Actually I think in Canada, if you are 31 or over it is harder.

Do you have any links for that or is it anecdotal? I heard immigration is getting harder in Canada but I will be really shocked if they take age as a criteria when deciding on a applicant.

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Originally Posted by mister3d: To the OP:
no, freelance doesn't count at all. Quite the opposite, they will see you as a person who doesn't want working in the office.

But not all freelancing is remote. In fact, it's quite normal to freelance in this field, and it's often in-house.

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Originally Posted by leigh: your IP suggests you're in Macedonia - at least that's in Europe

This might be Bojan again, with new questions under new nickname

Old 10 October 2012   #15
Originally Posted by LuckyBug: This might be Bojan again, with new questions under new nickname

You're right. It is him. Exactly the same IP.

:/

Thread Closed share thread