Double Negative lays off 200+...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #46
Yeah, I noticed that - where's the love for JC?

The movie may not have done so well, but the vfx looked great

Originally Posted by DutchDimension: Interesting how the "official response" from DNeg in that FXGuide article completely ignores JCOM.

Old 10 October 2012   #47
after reading these threads and people saying. I always think, is Cg industry dying a slow death??...:(( I Donn even get started yet...and this is my passion.

Old 10 October 2012   #48
Originally Posted by DushyantArT: after reading these threads and people saying. I always think, is Cg industry dying a slow death??...:(( I Donn even get started yet...and this is my passion.

It isn't ,there's more CG work to be done than ever.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 10 October 2012   #49
It is sad news indeed. That said, I have much respect for Dneg as they have a strong reputation for doing everything in their power to keep people once hired. But things are just slow in London in the moment. Hopefully things pick on soon again

Old 10 October 2012   #50
This threads really letting me down. I am not even close to be professional , but my goal is to work as animator in big movie studios.
How can someone be hired for long term, and just from project to project?

Old 10 October 2012   #51
Originally Posted by Zizhy: This threads really letting me down. I am not even close to be professional , but my goal is to work as animator in big movie studios.
How can someone be hired for long term, and just from project to project?

Work at a smaller studio and make yourself indispensable to the team.

Old 10 October 2012   #52
Originally Posted by Zizhy: How can someone be hired for long term, and just from project to project?

If the work is bountiful and the studio considers you to be an invaluable asset, they’ll keep you on when they can. But don’t expect a 5-10+year contract with a golden parachute should things turn sour. This isn’t the Civil Service.

Old 10 October 2012   #53
I think this was a shock as Dneg has been pretty stable from the cycle layoff's as they have been able to bounce crew from one show to the next. Usually the downsizing does not seem as bad for man facilities as a show may only consist of 300-500 shots so when the show finishes it seem less people are let go.

What makes things seem worse is when a facility becomes a lead or sole house on a show with 1500-2000 shot to deliver. When this happens the post project downsize usually seems bad as you have many more crew. Thisis what happened on shows like Narnia at MPC as it was the first time they had a shot count so high on a single show.

As an example in about 5 weeks the hobbit delivers and I am sure the freelance hires will all be departing NZ until it ramps up next year.

S

Old 10 October 2012   #54
Originally Posted by japetus: Work at a smaller studio and make yourself indispensable to the team.

How about for bigger studio? Is it possible there to be for long term? And be sure your job is safe for a while, like couple of years or so?

Old 10 October 2012   #55
Originally Posted by Zizhy: How about for bigger studio? Is it possible there to be for long term? And be sure your job is safe for a while, like couple of years or so?

Yes. In my 15 year career I have only worked for 3 companies. All are large VFX Studios. And I only left company 2 so we could have kids closer to home.

Old 10 October 2012   #56
Originally Posted by Zizhy: How about for bigger studio? Is it possible there to be for long term? And be sure your job is safe for a while, like couple of years or so?

Yes it is, however you can't really tell that until you look back or sign a contract saying you'll be there for a couple years. Like any job you can be laid off or fired for a multitude of reasons.

Old 10 October 2012   #57
I didn't see any posts when Stereo D laid off a bunch of people last Spring after the Avengers came out. I don't remember the number it was either 70 to 200 or so.
Granted they did the stereo conversion but it was still a lot of people.
Don't recall any posts when O'mation laid off the entire staff in San Celemete.

This cycle has been going in Los Angeles since 2000. London just finally caught up.
Now if the work doesn't come back and things really have shifted to Vancouver and Singapore then you need to stress out. But that won't be known that until this winter or so.
Keep in mind feature Films are on a cycle just like TV shows. Next summers films are shooting now. Post work will start in the next few months to meet the summer release dates.

So the world isn't ending......
That happens next year when the giant CGI meteor hits Topeka Kansas.

Old 10 October 2012   #58
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: But you paint, right?

So you can do anything... Comic books, printed material.....

Hope dies last.

houses, stores, cars,etc

Old 10 October 2012   #59
Originally Posted by Michael32766: So the world isn't ending......
That happens next year when the giant CGI meteor hits Topeka Kansas.

Nope, that's this year - Dec. 21, 2012 - didn't you see the movie?

Old 10 October 2012   #60
Originally Posted by DushyantArT: after reading these threads and people saying. I always think, is Cg industry dying a slow death??...:(( I Donn even get started yet...and this is my passion.

Please remember that news is essentially on bad/negative "stuff." So you go by not noticing all the good things that happen.

Thread Closed share thread