Kon-Tiki Film VFX - Some of the best vfx I have seen.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Wow and wow again. That was so incredibly real, I would never have guessed any CG was used if I hadn't been told here. For a small team of people to pull that off is nothing less than a miracle in my opinion.

10 October 2012
great work
thanks for sharing

10 October 2012
I'm happy to hear that you like it.

There were about 500+ VFX shots in total that were done by the Scandinavian VFX studios Fido, Gimpville, Important Looking Pirates and Storm Studios. All the online VFX (creating new water horizons etc) were done by Storyline Studios and California Post in Norway. A crew of around 150 artists in total. The VFX budget was a fraction of what is normal in a typical Hollywood movie, but I think the quality is top notch. Super talented artists all around that made my job as a VFX & Animation Supervisor much easier.

The movie opened up here in Norway in August and is due for release worldwide early next year. We have also made an all English spoken version of the movie, and we shot all dialogue scenes twice. First in Norwegian, then in English for the international version. And due to this we also had to recreate a lot of the VFX and background matte paintings twice for those shots...

Here is a trailer with English subtitles:
Kon-Tiki trailer

Best,
Arne

Kon-Tiki VFX & Animation Supervisor

Arne Kaupang - VFX Supervisor & Character Animator - www.akdesign.no
Check out "Amber" on Turbosquid

10 October 2012
And here is a full 10-minute VFX Breakdown Reel for you all to enjoy:

Kon-Tiki 10-minute VFX Breakdown Reel

Arne

10 October 2012
I am stunned....They just did it best......... they nailed the sharks....

outstanding work

10 October 2012
Great job, Arne! I'll be watching this when it hits DVD/Bluray.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by ArneK: The movie opened up here in Norway in August and is due for release worldwide early next year. We have also made an all English spoken version of the movie, and we shot all dialogue scenes twice. First in Norwegian, then in English for the international version. And due to this we also had to recreate a lot of the VFX and background matte paintings twice for those shots...

Well that is truly a mammoth task and an ambitious one too. Even more impressive. You all did an amazing job based on the vfx that has made it online.

I'm curious, what sort of time were you all given for doing this film? Looks like you were given the luxury of more time than usual which would allow for small teams and plenty of look dev to get such great looking work. If only Hollywood would recognise this! Then again maybe you didn't have all that much time

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by vfx: I'm curious, what sort of time were you all given for doing this film? Looks like you were given the luxury of more time than usual which would allow for small teams and plenty of look dev to get such great looking work.

Yes, it was a huge task indeed and I guess everyone involved was a bit intimidated by it all at first. But in my experience it always feels like that at the start of all big projects.

Time = money, so time was definitely not on our side or a luxury. Principal photography finished on-set in August last year and preparations started immediately after that. No previz was made prior to the shoot, only storyboards and concept art, and we pretty much worked in parallel with editorial the first two-three months, while the final edit was being made and we could really lock down shots properly. This of course made things a bit complicated, knowing which shots would be locked down and not omitted, final shot lenghts etc. but it all worked out in the end.

I'd say effective VFX production ran from Sept/Oct 2011 to May 2012 - 8-9 months in all. So it was a ton of work for everyone involved. Especially considering the complex water simulations and all the animal animation (white sharks, whale sharks, crabs, birds, deep sea creatures etc.).

The hard work paid off, it looks stellar and the VFX has gotten a lot of praise also from the audience here in Norway.

Arne

10 October 2012
Apparently Kon Tiki was shown here but it was only a one-time event which I found out about afterwards (darn). The breakdowns look top notch, great work.

It's great to see work of this caliber coming from Scandinavia, and simply how much stronger the scandinavian film/tv market seems to have gotten in the last few years. Now there are two norwegian movies on my list to check out (Kon Tiki and Thale).

Last edited by evakristjans : 10 October 2012 at 11:18 AM.

10 October 2012
That is absolutely superb. Thanks for posting it!

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by evakristjans: It's great to see work of this caliber coming from Scandinavia, and simply how much stronger the scandinavian film/tv market seems to have gotten in the last few years. Now there are two norwegian movies on my list to check out (Kon Tiki and Thale).

Thanks. Yes, the VFX industry here (not sure if it is large enough yet to be called an industry though...) has gotten a lot better and more experienced the past few years, as there have been more Scandinavian movies and TV series with VFX than ever before.

In addition to Kon-Tiki and Thale, make sure you also check out the upcoming Norwegian TV series "The Half Brother" which already has been picked up by a lot of TV channels worldwide. It features a lot of awesome VFX done by Storm Studios in Norway. Trailer here.

Arne

10 October 2012
I would like to add that Trollhunter is also one of the Scandinavian surprises in the last few years, most of the job was done in Norway if I'm not mistaken
Great people, lovely landscapes, great movies, gotta love Scandinavia

10 October 2012
superb. but there's no way in hell you could haul a shark out from the ocean like that.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by lightcache: superb. but there's no way in hell you could haul a shark out from the ocean like that.

Believe it or not but that is exactly what they did on the real journey back in 1947. Though not quite with sharks of that size...

Arne

Last edited by ArneK : 10 October 2012 at 04:28 PM.

10 October 2012
It's good work and technically I think it is possible with a small team. The problem in larger studios is not the artists. It's that big projects become like big, massive ships that take forever to turn. Sequences get dropped, clients change their minds. Pixelf***ng. Directors are never to be seen.

There is a lot to be said for small, nimble productions.

Actually, thinking about it, 150 people sounds about right.

Last edited by Mic_Ma : 10 October 2012 at 03:51 PM.

Thread Closed share thread