CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #16
SpaceRabbit
Frequenter

portfolio
Brad Taylor
CG Artist
Austin, US

Send a message via AIM to SpaceRabbit
More and more, Idiocracy seems to be an accurate portrayal of the future.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRabbit

I was just about to say the same thing. I can't believe how dumb our society is getting.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

I don't even know what to say to this. The only way I'll go see this is if there are four players forced to remotely control gigantic robotic hippos that rampage throughout the city eating people, whichever person's hippo eats the most people is allowed to live. The rest, are fed to HIPPOS! But just wait, the main player has a plan, to destroy the whole robotic hippo military industrial complex. Will the plan succeed, see the movie to find out!

Seriously, how can you write a story that's even remotely watchable from that game?

Old 10-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #19
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

I can actually see a lot more story options with HHH than I could with Battleship. Not that any of them will be "feature film good", but a Sy-fy channel-level movie could work. It'll probably be some variation on Planet of the Apes, where scientists are screwing around with genetics and end up creating a breed of very hungry hippos that, of course, escape and wreak havoc. It could be very dark and funny depending on how graphic they wanted to make it.

What has me more puzzled is who the demographic for these movies are. These games existed when I was a kid about 800 years ago, so the prime target audience would seem to be people around my age. I know they were played by kids in the 80s and maybe even the 90s, but it seems that kids of those eras (who are now the prime, frequent movie-going audience) had moved on to other forms of entertainment.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #20
Zykras
Digital Explorer

portfolio
Stanislaw Menschow
3D Artist / Developer
Miysis
Brussels, Belgium

I dont even know what to say ...

And battleship ... oh god, something inside of me broke that day. I actually think HHH might be better than battleship, at least they can go for "full trash movie" and make something like grantmoore3D suggested.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
I can actually see a lot more story options with HHH than I could with Battleship. Not that any of them will be "feature film good", but a Sy-fy channel-level movie could work.

That's kind of what I was thinking as well, I could see it working as a cheasy, low budget, B-movie (along the lines of Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus) but as a feature intended for the big screen... I really don't understand what they intend to do with it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #22
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zykras
I actually think HHH might be better than battleship, at least they can go for "full trash movie" and make something like grantmoore3D suggested.

Just to be clear, I didn't mean to imply that HHH might be a good movie (it will almost undoubtedly be terri-bad), just that they have more options when it comes to story than they did with Battleship.

All I can say, though, is that they damn well better have the iconic, top-down view of four hippos attacking/eating something or I am definitely not going to watch it for free some day two years from now when I am at home alone and delirious with the flu.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #23
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

Yeah I don't get who they're targeting either. I mean, are there really people out there going, "Hey! I used to play that game as a kid, I HAVE to go see that when it comes out! Take my $10 please."

I don't think the name is a big enough draw alone to bring in the older people who know the game, and the younger kids don't know or care about the game anyway, so a movie entitled "HHH" is meaningless to them.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #24
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3ta
.....so a movie entitled "HHH" is meaningless to them.

Unless you give it a cool, abbreviated moniker:

And a tagline like "This summer, the only three things you need to remember are H. H. And H."

Old 10-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #25
BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

Will Liam Neeson play in this one as well? Seems like he's busy padding his retirement fund these days.

"Listen to me very carefully, you will be taken... by a hippo."
"Now you listen to me hippo: I have a very particular set of skills, accumulated over a long career..."

Old 10-10-2012, 11:17 PM   #26
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceRabbit

God Bless America too. That film painfully showed up society's trend of celebrating mediocrity these days.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #27
luisRiera
Expert
portfolio
luis Riera
Graphics designer
America Television
Lima, Peru

jokes aside, you guys need to think outside the box when it comes to scripts. HHH is the perfect opportunity to explore the creativity of writers and wanna-be-writers and come with good ideas. Pixar can do masterpieces with talking fishes and used toys, and back in the eighties we had this film called "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles".

I havent played HHH, but Im sure it would not be difficult to make a good adaptation from it. Or using the opportunity to teach children to appreciate wildlife in a futuristic, mad max like world in wich we use mutated hippos because we killed everything else.

Another, adult themed example is this http://natgeotv.com/asia/cocaine-hippos

"The infamous drug lord Pablo Escobar was notorious for smuggling cocaine all over the world. With his drug money and power he illegally imported an array of exotic species to his personal zoo. But soon after Escobar's demise, the animals were left alone in the zoo to fend for themselves. One of these species flourished and now lurks in the Colombian countryside. As a dangerous and potentially aggressive invader, hippos are claiming territory in the rivers of Colombia"

Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #28
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

I strongly suspect it'll be a family oriented comedy, not a PG-13 action film. A little better, though not a lot.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:45 AM   #29
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan

Old 10-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #30
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

I hate this idea so much that... it-it- the f - it -flam - flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breaths... Heathing...

Thread Closed share thread