Prometheus Explained... BR

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #31
I still don't understand what David is up to.

Was he trying to kill his creator? If so, why did he bring them to the Engineer towards the end of the film? He couldn't have know that the Engineer to turn violent, much less rip his head off.

Old 10 October 2012   #32
Originally Posted by mushroomgod: It was an odd line, it's almost as if the writers don't actualy understand the process of evolution.

There are quite a few blog posts/articles online discussing the science in the film. Lots of people accuse it of having an anti science agenda...which to be fair it's not so much an agenda as a badly scripted, thought out story/plot.

Someone also pointed out that the term "Darwinism" is used exclusively by creationists. I had never noticed this, but then again iv never met one

That was exactly my thought, the movie seemed like some creationist propaganda. I do like to suspend my disbelief but sometimes with movies like this I feel like my (and other mature peoples') intelligence is being insulted.

From Ridley Scott I expected some harder sci fi, but this is just very mediocre at best. Mainstream hard sci fi movies are really hard to come by these days.

Old 10 October 2012   #33
To me it is close to Scientology propaganda, but either way movie wasn't watchable.

Old 10 October 2012   #34
Originally Posted by aeres: I still don't understand what David is up to.

Was he trying to kill his creator? If so, why did he bring them to the Engineer towards the end of the film? He couldn't have know that the Engineer to turn violent, much less rip his head off.

My impression was he was like a curious kid or maybe a mad scientist, tampering with things to see what would happen.

Old 10 October 2012   #35
Originally Posted by Pyke: I don't have the 'hatred' that some people have for this film. I really enjoyed it. It is definitely one of the most beautifully shot SciFi films I've ever seen-and fits right in with ALIEN (which is my number 1 movie!).

It is frustrating to see how much effort went into Prometheus, knowing that all it needed was a few more rewrites, (or less rewrites?) to get the script actually working.

You kind of answered yourself there.

**EDIT** I thought you'd said I don't *get* the hatred. Re-read and saw that isn't what you wrote.

If this was just Jumanji 2 people wouldn't really hate it, they wouldn't really care. But this movie was so beautifully crafted (visually) to see a script so flawed is painful.

www.MichaelSime.com

Last edited by Michael5188 : 10 October 2012 at 05:26 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #36
I thought it is flawed, nut nowhere as bad as people make out. Alot of this film was thrown away. I am certain that if the Studio gave carte blanc, you would have had something that linked Bladerunner and its themes with Alien and its themes. I think this was forced to be shorter and hence plot holled.
I think this film would grow on people if a Directors cut would be allowed.
The extras fill out those holes.
For me, this is very satisfying, and even if it was four hours long I would love it. Its for people who can enjoy films like Solaris and 2001.

MY HMC

Old 10 October 2012   #37
Originally Posted by Airflow: I thought it is flawed, nut nowhere as bad as people make out. Alot of this film was thrown away. I am certain that if the Studio gave carte blanc, you would have had something that linked Bladerunner and its themes with Alien and its themes. I think this was forced to be shorter and hence plot holled.
I think this film would grow on people if a Directors cut would be allowed.
The extras fill out those holes.
For me, this is very satisfying, and even if it was four hours long I would love it. Its for people who can enjoy films like Solaris and 2001.

Aside from the potential extended cut comment, I disagree. Solaris and 2001 are both one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies. Along with first two Alien movies and the recent Moon flick. Prometheus did have a few scenes that had that "vibe" (mostly scenes with David, and maybe also the surgery scene, although that one was a stretch) but mostly it felt very derivative, predictable, and pointless. I wouldn't put it in the same class as Solaris/2001/Moon.

As I mentioned before, for me it falls into same class as Red Planet and Mission To Mars- throwaway flicks.

Old 10 October 2012   #38
Something everyone can agree was great, some nice breakdowns from MPC on their excellent work for Prometheus:

On the look of LV-223:

http://youtu.be/CLOWVYRe96o?hd=1

And an overall breakdown of most of their shots from the movie:

http://youtu.be/NdJYlKfyjg8?hd=1

SPOILERS OF COURSE

Old 10 October 2012   #39
Originally Posted by DePaint: Is the film really that bad? I'm planning to get it on Bluray...

It definitly is.
I am wondering, how such a gifted director with so much money at hand could fail so badly?

Old 10 October 2012   #40
Originally Posted by jake rupert: It definitly is.
I am wondering, how such a gifted director with so much money at hand could fail so badly?

Seriously?

130 million is on the low side of average for the genre.

Also note this was the most expensive of the bunch, as with more money means more people want to have their "say". The first two movies where made for 11 and 18 million respectively, of course the first being the best IMO, the second not bad for an action/adventure, as it strayed somewhat away from the strictly horror/suspense.

It is what it is, out of the 7 films in the franchise this one certainly maintains a steady average with all but the first two.

Old 10 October 2012   #41
WHAT A RIPOFF!

I bought the blu ray specifically for this lengthy making-of documentary and its nowhere to be found. Turns out its only on the 3D version of the set. Complete SHIT!

WARNING: If you want the documentary you have to buy the 3D version.

I understand they're trying to push the format at the theater but to require me to buy the 3D version at home when I don't want it and can't use it just to get the making-of features, well thats going too far.

Old 10 October 2012   #42
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom: Seriously?

130 million is on the low side of average for the genre.

Also note this was the most expensive of the bunch, as with more money means more people want to have their "say". The first two movies where made for 11 and 18 million respectively, of course the first being the best IMO, the second not bad for an action/adventure, as it strayed somewhat away from the strictly horror/suspense.

It is what it is, out of the 7 films in the franchise this one certainly maintains a steady average with all but the first two.

Interesting. $11M in 1979 adjusted for inflation is about $35M today.
$18M in 1986 is $38M today.

Also need to take into account that effects were more expensive and challenging to produce in 70's and 80's.

For $130M you can build and put a commercial-grade satellite into a high orbit, just for comparison

Last edited by BrainFreeze : 10 October 2012 at 04:26 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #43
Originally Posted by jake rupert: It definitly is.

The director isn't the sole author of a movie, film is a collaborative medium. This was a good director and a bad script.
It's difficult to think of a single director who hasn't made a stinker at some point, Kubrick and eyes wide shut, Spielberg and 1941, Lucas and the prequels, Matrix sequels and the Wachowskis, Peter Jackson and Lovely Bones, Gilliam and Tideland, etc.....

Old 10 October 2012   #44
I think the main issue with the film, aside from the lack of character depth and some hammy dialoge, is that its being compared to Alien. I think the shared mythos created an unattainable heritage that no film can really live up to and with that, a lot was expect from this film and other than well executed visuals, I think it failed to deliver.

I can understand everyone's feeling let down, cheated and disappointed with the film though, but ultimately, the film is what it is, its down to personal preference if you like it or not and, in the grand scheme of things, it isn't as bad as a lot of what is out there (just look at AVP2).

I don't think we can even put Prometheus in the same timeline as Aliens though... or even in a same line as the AVP films. I mean, AVP1 established that the Predators used Earth as a 'coming of age' hunting ground in the past using the Xenomorphs that we know, dating these creatures as being pretty old. Prometheus sets out that the Xenomorphs possibly originate from the engineers and a mutation from humans, or some line like that, starts the line of creatures that eventually become Xenomorph like. Then that means there is a bigger question not addressed at all and that is... oh know, I've gone cross eyed...

I'm sure a sequel will help (pfft)... or we could just set it in a different time line or ignore it altogether.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

Old 10 October 2012   #45
Originally Posted by aeres: I still don't understand what David is up to.

My impression is that he was just following his program.
It allowed him to go against the best interests of the crew (by infecting loverboy) since his main directive was help his master find a cure for his illness.

After his master died, he was free to do as he pleased and that meant helping the lead character.

Thread Closed share thread