portfolio
luis Riera
Graphics designer
America Television
Lima, Peru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad74
Agreed. It is waste of time.

I know everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but how can it be a waste of time? The movie was flawed, but at the same time, it presented good concept ideas, a great photography and lots of interesting special effects, and of course the chance to see an excellent actor like Michael Fassbender representing an android.

I dont consider anything a wast of time unless I dont gain anything from it. And even in that case, you gain something truly important by watching a piece of crap: What NOT to do in movies. Sometimes movies doesnt work, and we can all learn a lot from movies that fail, because thats the only way you can realize what the audience likes. Remember: there is no magical formula for making good movies.

By reading the script only, "Jaws" for example was a movie that should have tanked. No exposition of the 'monster', long scenes, etc, yet once everything was assembled, edited and proyected turned out to be a classic, and not showing the creature was what drive the suspense. Same as Blade Runner (poor box office performance) or even The Matrix. So, saying something like "my script was better", really means little.

Calling it the worst movie in years only mean that "The Legend of Chun-Li" or "Blair Witch 2" are masterpieces and even those movies can teach us something like I said in the second paragraph.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #17
PaulAdams
Total Muppet

portfolio
Paul Adams
London, GB

Most disappointing is any kind of extended or directors cut on the Blu-Ray release. Deleted scenes are fine but not quite the same.

Speaking of which, they really should've kept the Engineer searching for Shaw in the final scene/s because the theatrical release of David simply saying "He's coming" and then 1.5seconds later he appears is awful.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #18
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Is the film really that bad? I'm planning to get it on Bluray...

Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Student
Still in college
Dublin, Ireland

If only just one deleted scene should have been included in the movie, I think it had to be the one where they have the talk with the big alien, to explain why they came. Leaving that out was a big omission IMHO, it was the only time during the movie that I got frustrated at the lack of information.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
Is the film really that bad? I'm planning to get it on Bluray...

Without having seen it first?

Some people love it and some people don't, hard to say how you'll feel.

If you like movies with good characters and solid motivation and well thought out scripts you'll probably hate this movie.

only kidding! (though I'm sure you can guess how I felt about it)

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
eliseu gouveia
Engine of Creation

Eliseu Gouveia
Comicbook Artist
Portugal

The one thing about the movie that I never understood and wish someone would explain to me is this:

In the first alien movie, we see the dead space jock sitting on a chair at the helm of the downed spaceship with his chest burst.

And yet in the Prometheus movie the space jock dies aboard the Prometheus escape pod without his space suit on.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #22
Ruramuq
ruɾamöχ

portfolio
Ruramuq   

The trailer gave us questions, ..the movie did not answer..
There is no new proposal in this movie..
There were a lot of technical incongruencies, that made the movie, not believable..
The engineers were way to waxy, their behaviour too shallow/flat

I didn't feel 'the space', the sense of traveling through the space, like in other movies..

Overall it's fine, this movie is entertainment.
It was worthy to watch, but..

Old 10-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #23
plastic
Down With The Industry

portfolio
Marc Lorenz
Vienna, Austria

what i liked: the script, the engineers, the blending of religion with alien sci-fi, what happenes when the humans face the engineer and that there are no answers, only violence. this is a great "plot hole" imo, kind of like with LOST, where things only work because there are no answers.

what i didn't like: it feels like half of the movie was stripped away and makes no sense, the thing with the snake, the ridiculous looking old man, most of the crews behavior is just plain weird and unprofessional for a mission like that.
i wasnt too fond of the android either, he lookes nice and all, but i didn't get what he was really up to and how it would make sense for a robot.
i thought the end with the hinted sequel was horrible, how is the android supposed to know where to go, it's silly and i cant see where a sequel would be heading to, unless it turns into a cheesy desaster like with the Matrix sequels.
if the character development was better and there was a satisfying end, like a clear dead-end for the humans and what they are searching for, it would be a really good movie.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
mushroomgod
marzipan...its great!!

portfolio
Matthew Dartford
illustrator and lazy git
MDI Digital
Norwich, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to mushroomgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia
The one thing about the movie that I never understood and wish someone would explain to me is this:

In the first alien movie, we see the dead space jock sitting on a chair at the helm of the downed spaceship with his chest burst.

And yet in the Prometheus movie the space jock dies aboard the Prometheus escape pod without his space suit on.

Easy....it's not the same ship or planet.

That's apparantly confirmed by the writers...well, that's what I read anyway.

Flickr

MDI Digital

Old 10-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #25
BrainFreeze
Know-it-All
portfolio
Mark Wellington
Everett, USA

For me the movie seemed to even somehow self-parody itself. At one point a scientist guy says something like "So let's just throw hundreds of years of Darwinism out the window" when referring to the concept of humans being engineered by aliens. At this moment I thought "exactly!" and was waiting for them to explain how the engineers planted the DNA/RNA in primordial soup, etc. I waited until the end of the movie, but they never explained it beyond "Engineers engineered humans only, let's ignore all other life out there".

I vaguely remember Alien and remember all other Aliens movies. This, for me, was by far the worst flick in this universe (not counting all the AVP stuff). Many plot holes, lack of character build up so you don't care about anyone, poor climax, no Sigorney Weaver . This movie actually reminded me of "Red Planet" and "Mission to Mars" movies, both in plot and intensity.

Worth watching but don't expect anything. I don't think I'll get the Bluray unless people really start praising it.

Last edited by BrainFreeze : 10-09-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
redbellpeppers
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chris
Standing, USA

Quote:

Not the same space jocky.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:43 PM   #27
mushroomgod
marzipan...its great!!

portfolio
Matthew Dartford
illustrator and lazy git
MDI Digital
Norwich, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to mushroomgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainFreeze
For me the movie seemed to even somehow self-parody itself. At one point a scientist guys says something like "So let's just throw hundreds of years of Darwinism out the window"

It was an odd line, it's almost as if the writers don't actualy understand the process of evolution.

There are quite a few blog posts/articles online discussing the science in the film. Lots of people accuse it of having an anti science agenda...which to be fair it's not so much an agenda as a badly scripted, thought out story/plot.

Someone also pointed out that the term "Darwinism" is used exclusively by creationists. I had never noticed this, but then again iv never met one

Flickr

MDI Digital

Last edited by mushroomgod : 10-09-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #28
JohnnyRandom
Configurator

portfolio
John Rand
still wandering the binary void
salt lake city, USA

Quote:

Takes place on:
Alien/Aliens = LV-426

Prometheus = LV-223

Old 10-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #29
Tamagoo
Frequenter
portfolio
Nerijus
Reseda, United States Minor Outlying Islands

I also agree that the movie had poor characters, except David :P. But the only reason I liked this move is because stories such as these are very rare.

In this day and age where every shit is a remake of something else, ex. RoboCop. I enjoyed it for the fresh and exciting story. I love ideas related to aliens and universe as a whole. I give it 7/10.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:20 AM   #30
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

The Blu Ray is worth it for the documentary, if not for an amazing glimpse at what this movie could have been.
The main Making Of Documentary is almost 4 hours long, and with all of the enhancement pods, it probably exceeds the 6 hour mark. Not to mention over 1000 Art pieces.

Id say for people who are more interested in the movie making process, than the actual movie, the Blu Ray is an amazing purchase.

I don't have the 'hatred' that some people have for this film. I really enjoyed it. It is definitely one of the most beautifully shot SciFi films I've ever seen-and fits right in with ALIEN (which is my number 1 movie!).

It is frustrating to see how much effort went into Prometheus, knowing that all it needed was a few more rewrites, (or less rewrites?) to get the script actually working.

Thread Closed share thread