Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Is sharing a good idea or giving unfair advantage?

For example I modeled an ecorche. If I share it freely on the net, is it a good idea or not? From one thing, it could help some people. But then I don't see many people doing so. And there are lighting challenges, where many people unwrap and texture the same scenes, though it also shows the skills. From another point giving such textured or at least unwrapped scenes would greatly help others. Though nobody did it through years, though there were hundreds of participants. Everybody starts from the scratch. So, is it challenging? Is it a good idea sharing such files or not?

Old 10-07-2012, 07:24 AM   #2
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

The people with money already had access to those sorts of things, either through their school or by buying them from turbosquid or similar. By give it away freely, you're evening the playing field, which seems like a good thing.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloncov
The people with money already had access to those sorts of things, either through their school or by buying them from turbosquid or similar. By give it away freely, you're evening the playing field, which seems like a good thing.

Yeah, I never checked Turbosquid for those models, now I see there are lots of good ones! Though, when you learn you'd better model by yourself first.
Ok, but what about lighting challenges? Why people never shared those files? People mostly don't share their work it seems. From one point it seems nice to share, but then you think someone will put it into portfolio with tweaks, using your hard work, and may even not use any credits.
About evening out the field, I'm not sure it would, as people anyway may steal software and models. A true advantage is living in the US, and you can't easily get it. And why would evening it out make it better?

Old 10-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #4
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

I think most people don't have a use for the free stuff, since often times requirements are very specific.

For learning though, I think it'd be better to do a tutorial rather than just putting out files.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister3d
Yeah, I never checked Turbosquid for those models, now I see there are lots of good ones! Though, when you learn you'd better model by yourself first.

Actually, when it comes to echorche models, there's a very good one bundled with Zbrush. Sculpted by Ryan Kingslien, I believe.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #6
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloncov
Actually, when it comes to echorche models, there's a very good one bundled with Zbrush. Sculpted by Ryan Kingslien, I believe.

I know, but female only. And a very good one!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #7
Horganovski
Freelance Animator/Rigger

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

I think sharing is a good thing. I wrote an animation tool for Maya recently that got a lot of interest from animators (here) and I had several individuals and even a couple of studios contacted me wanting to buy it.
I decided to release it for free, my main reasons being : 1- it's a just a script, so impossible to protect in any way, 2 - I didn't want to have to provide support for it and 3 - I thought it might be a good way to get my name out there.

Well within a couple of weeks I've gotten a job that I'm 100% sure I would never have been on the radar for if I hadn't released this. So for me the 'karma' if such a thing exists (I like the concept anyway) actually came back to me very fast.

The other side of it for me is that really that tool I wrote is a culmination of lots of studying the scripts of others that they shared freely. Without those I would never have been able to write it. On the shoulders of giants etc..

So I would say don't be afraid to share your work as you never know who will see it and if you encourage an atmosphere of sharing ideas rather than clutching tightly to them it can benefit everyone.

Make sure your name is on there though so that people know where it came from

My 2c..

cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 10-07-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Horganovski, good points. To make myself clearer, I thought if such a sharing could make people not appreciating hard work and would it benefit everybody in the end or ruin it. Probably it depends. Of course you can't share everything, you can share only some things. Though I guess with lighting challenges, it could help a bit everybody and would be interesting.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Horganovski

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

I think I get where you are coming from. Unfortunately some will just react like that - 'hey I don't have to work now, it's already done for me', others though will treat it as an example to learn from. It's difficult to guess what the percentages will be there of course.

It's a little like software piracy I suppose, I'd imagine that most people who 'find' a cracked copy of application X rarely if ever use it to its full potential as they are of the mindset that just likes to take shortcuts. I see that a lot on some forums I frequent, kids who are clearly running pirate copies and ask the most basic questions that really deserve RTFM replies.
Compare that to someone who has forked out a lot of hard earned cash for a program they want to learn. You can be sure this person will invest a lot more of themselves in trying to master it before throwing their hands up and expecting everyone else to help them.

/endSoapBox

Cheers,
Brian

Old 10-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horganovski
Compare that to someone who has forked out a lot of hard earned cash for a program they want to learn. You can be sure this person will invest a lot more of themselves in trying to master it before throwing their hands up and expecting everyone else to help them.

Yep, and squeezing those money back. Thanks man, good points you made!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
Horganovski

portfolio
Brian Horgan
Graphite9
Dublin, Ireland

Thanks! Indeed, it's very important to make our apps pay their way

Cheers,
Brian

Old 10-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
bergj
Go celtics!
portfolio
A
USA

I've thought about this question a lot. I do about 75% programming/shader writing/td stuff and 25% modeling. On one hand you get "forum cred" for sharing your work. On the other hand you're giving your hard work away for free.

I've reached the conclusion that I wont be giving anything away for free. I will NEVER give someone complete source code for an uber script that I'm proud of and have spent multiple days/weeks on. Compiling the code and making it a plugin and then charging for it(!) is the way to go.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #13
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergj
I've thought about this question a lot. I do about 75% programming/shader writing/td stuff and 25% modeling. On one hand you get "forum cred" for sharing your work. On the other hand you're giving your hard work away for free.

I've reached the conclusion that I wont be giving anything away for free. I will NEVER give someone complete source code for an uber script that I'm proud of and have spent multiple days/weeks on. Compiling the code and making it a plugin and then charging for it(!) is the way to go.

Well, yeah, I know I'm wrong saying that I meant for lighting challenges in mind. Though if to think, people already created those modeled scenes, and people are using them for free. Still, almost no-one thought about making others life easier, by giving their scenes. Perhaps people just didn't think this way and I hope will consider it, as it will benefit many.
Hoping for forum creds is naive, of course it won't give you anything, and forums don't last forever, they get closed down. People get forgotten. Even Russian freelance is now going though changes, and all hard work of people is simply put down - contacts are removed, clients reviews are removed, pay for everything now. And who could have thought this would happen. And no-one gives a damn people invested lots of time and money into their accounts. 7 years... and into nothing.

Your work is very specific. It's a bit different with other things. I thought about those lighting challenges, and it seemed strange. It's good if you get a casual "thanks" if you do something for free, but that's about it. It's all is devaluated so much in this era of information and accessibility. People take it for granted. But I'm trying seeing through this. Any articles and interesting tutorials are helpful, and not sharing completely anything is limiting yourself. It's a bit more complex with scenes, as it's not a pure knowledge, it's a piece of work.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
zokana
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zoltan Kanabe
Zurich, Switzerland

Itís always helpful to be aware of the own advantage before doing something Ďgoodí - thereís always one. If someone is aware of his need to feel better by giving things away, then itís easier to accept when the others donít show appreciation. But when someone feels like a saint after comping his property then it might end in bitterness about the human race.(there are people though who seem to look for such an opportunity, like when disappointment was their joy...)

Do it, if youíll feel proud after 100 downloads, or if you think that you can establish your reputation like this - or if you believe to have then a better sleep. But donít do it for being good.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Good points Zokana, though I think those are not important things but rather if people benefit of it makes them lazier. But I guess it's not the question you can get an answer to. I thought about lighting challenges and if someone already organized them, someone modeled, why wouldn't people share thsir unwrapping and even texturing? In the end you can always alter it, but it will save people's time.

Thread Closed share thread