[?]how to show concrete pumping animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
[?]how to show concrete pumping animation

Can anyone offer any suggestions on a good way to acheive the above? I have to produce an animation and one of the important elements is essentially concrete being pumped into a hole in the ground. I need to show a high slump consistancy and I have complete control over how I tell the story of what the product does.

I could make life easy and just fade a few frames each showing progressively more concrete going into the hole but it would be good to actually show it in motion for 10 seconds or so.

So I will use 3DS Max and/or AE however the concrete will be pumped out of my 3DS Max model. I can probably buy a plugin if required as long as it's reasonably low cost but the shedule will be quite tight so would need to be something with minimal learning curve.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
I don't know enough about Max but if it has an equivalent to Maya's nParticle system (with liquid simulation settings) then you could use that and crank up the viscosity setting.

Realflow would be the ideal program, but it's really pricey. If this was a personal portfolio project and not for commercial use you could get the trial or cheaper student edition though.

Try doing a search in the 3ds Max sub-forum here and try some keywords like: "liquid particles" "sph" "viscous" etc.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Without knowing what it looks like to pump concrete, I would say try using Particle Flow with a blobmesh compound object.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
Originally Posted by japetus: Without knowing what it looks like to pump concrete, I would say try using Particle Flow with a blobmesh compound object.

This... plus put two different forces on the particles:

1) Over long distances the particles attract each other
2) In close proximity the particles repel each other

After a bit of playing with the input parameters, this will give you a fairly good approximation of concrete being poured.

Good luck!

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread