Coolest Mechs?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #61
FASA/Battletech "Timber Wolf" in action:

Old 10 October 2012   #62
I like the ABC warriors. Mainly Deadlock. Their kind of robots though. Their is one cool story though were Mek Quake fights a giant gothic robot thats controlled by hundreds of slaves inside turning wheels and mechanisms by hand. Cant find an online picture though.

Old 10 October 2012   #63
Wink

Originally Posted by paintbox: Real steel was pretty cool! Allthough the designs weren't that outstanding in general, it is the best live-action robot movie to date (and a decent movie to watch as well)

+10,000,000,000,000

Yeah, I agree. The first time a robot makes me feel like it has emotion and feeling.

The irony is that it has no facial moves! Just blue eye and that's it.

Old 10 October 2012   #64
We're doing a serious Mech piece, and we had lots of discussions about aesthetic. We really prefer the mechs that feel more like real hulking tanks, rather than ones that skate around and do backflips and hold swords/ballet dance.

Here's our prologue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOyU...64829510F3F34B0

Old 10 October 2012   #65
Originally Posted by Ephisus: We really prefer the mechs that feel more like real hulking tanks, rather than ones that skate around and do backflips and hold swords/ballet dance.

Huh - me too. It's sad that there seem to be just these two camps, and maybe a third with the construction vehicle-like power-loader style. But I could never stand the sword-wielding, martial arts fighter, transforming robot-men type.

You movie looks interesting. It would be fascinating to see a mech movie where the tactics were really thought out and not just replacements for tanks or infantry. I mean, mechs aren't really an effective weapons delivery system compared to missiles, helicopters and tanks. They are simply too vulnerable, and prone to tipping! It would be cool to see some new designs that addressed these issues. But for now, they seem to be merely a signifier of "future battlefield" and are there to look imposing more than anything else.

Old 10 October 2012   #66
Originally Posted by Ephisus: We're doing a serious Mech piece, and we had lots of discussions about aesthetic. We really prefer the mechs that feel more like real hulking tanks, rather than ones that skate around and do backflips and hold swords/ballet dance.

Here's our prologue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOyU...64829510F3F34B0

Artbot is right... Makes no sense in an ultra-real setting to allow robotics to take over the role of Tanks and Aircraft.

But have you thought of bipedal turrets replacing .... infantry? Or maybe as a revival of single-man mounted cavalry with volume space only slightly larger than a car?

Old 10 October 2012   #67
If you look at stuff like Big Dog or that hexapede logging machine, I think there are arguments to be made for having legs on a mech.

Even scaling up to large sizes, there's no reason (assuming technology advances) they couldn't be extremely fast and agile over many more terrains and situations than a jeep or tank..yes they can tip over, but they can also dodge, and elevate the weapons platform at will, etc.

As far as man-shapes, since you're at it, why not? It is basically a suit of powered armor, so why not let it be a giant soldier? Besides being imposing, why wouldn't it be useful to have a strong giant on your team?

I have a feeling the sweet spot may be more District 9 sized than Evangelion sized, but then everyone wants a bigger better thing at some point.

Old 10 October 2012   #68
Originally Posted by hypercube: If you look at stuff like Big Dog or that hexapede logging machine, I think there are arguments to be made for having legs on a mech.

Even scaling up to large sizes, there's no reason (assuming technology advances) they couldn't be extremely fast and agile over many more terrains and situations than a jeep or tank..yes they can tip over, but they can also dodge, and elevate the weapons platform at will, etc.

As far as man-shapes, since you're at it, why not? It is basically a suit of powered armor, so why not let it be a giant soldier? Besides being imposing, why wouldn't it be useful to have a strong giant on your team?

I have a feeling the sweet spot may be more District 9 sized than Evangelion sized, but then everyone wants a bigger better thing at some point.

Ride in tank mechs are inevitable. A computer controlled "reflex" driven leap to the side to dodge a direct hit from an rpg is the dream when you're a sitting duck and I'm sure DARPA's plans will incorporate this eventually. For leisure, a robot horse with built in rollcage could be an awesome alternative for extreme sports folks who are sick of 4WD's.

Old 10 October 2012   #69
I am a big fan of the designs in the Armored Core series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEz9F5jvgso

Old 10 October 2012   #70
Speaking of the military and power loaders, I still have a soft spot for this guy, even if I grew to hate looking at 'em for so long:

It's got that utilitarian ugly-chic thing going for it, and the way it achieves its range of motion is really clever.

Old 10 October 2012   #71
Here's one nobody has mentioned thus far: The power loader from Aliens

Old 10 October 2012   #72
Originally Posted by DePaint: Here's one nobody has mentioned thus far: The power loader from Aliens

That was on the first page..just no pics

Old 10 October 2012   #73
Originally Posted by hypercube: That was on the first page..just no pics

Hmm. Must have overlooked it. My bad.

Old 10 October 2012   #74
always a place in my heart

Old 10 October 2012   #75
One of my favourites is the APU from Matrix Revolutions.
Great design, exposed mechanics, guns for arms and the feet look cool

Thread Closed share thread