Coolest Mechs?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by redbellpeppers: Liger Zero FTW

Oh yeah!

As a kid though I had this one:

But the one I always wanted was the big bad:

10 October 2012
Hey guys, this was supposed to be a mech thread! If you're going to talk about transformers and combiners, I'm going to post this pic of powered armor...

10 October 2012
And heck, I guess I'll post this one too.

10 October 2012
But wow a lot of people here are into this Japanese Godzilla toys stuff.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: But wow a lot of people here are into this Japanese Godzilla toys stuff.

Hey.. good design is good design.

Zoids could be Iranian for all I cared as a kid. :P

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Hey.. good design is good design.

Zoids could be Iranian for all I cared as a kid. :P

heh, well its not what I meant, but all is good.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: heh, well its not what I meant, but all is good.

I think a lot of us taking part in this thread love the mix of totally improbable mechanical design with believable construction and materials. The best mech designs are those that are totally impossible, yet strike the eye as credible.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by moogaloonie: I think a lot of us taking part in this thread love the mix of totally improbable mechanical design with believable construction and materials. The best mech designs are those that are totally impossible, yet strike the eye as credible.

Yes that's a very good observation. I remember all the hoopla about MADOX-01 was it looked like this kind of stuff could actually work:

MADOX-01 OVA Intro

It's really the appeal I think of good design that it stretches your imagination first, and then later it stretches your capacity to accept it as working/real.

Recent good examples (non-mecha) include the Tumbler from the recent Batman films. The new Bat-Wing I think didn't nearly get as much love because it was too "out-there".

But the best designs for machines in fiction are definitely the ones that seem like they work.. because that further serves the fantasy of the story.

10 October 2012
Zoids actually have pilots, so they would count as mechs..that was one of the coolest things is the imagined scale of them. That and they were motorized and walked or did things..some incredibly cool designs and articulations, along with being a gateway to modelbuilding. Definitely a favorite.

I used to have a TON of them as a kid, and got a bunch of the recent re-issue a couple years ago..haven't had space to put them all together again, but so happy to have. Still have a bunch of Gundams unbuilt too..some future garage/mancave is going to be covered in this stuff.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Yes that's a very good observation. I remember all the hoopla about MADOX-01 was it looked like this kind of stuff could actually work:

MADOX-01 OVA Intro

First time I saw this and it reminded me an awful lot of a certain Rifts design, the coalition SAMAS power armor. Checking the dates though, MADOX came out first.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: First time I saw this and it reminded me an awful lot of a certain Rifts design, the coalition SAMAS power armor. Checking the dates though, MADOX came out first.
Stop making me re-read the Something Aweful's WTF D&D articles.

10 October 2012
Awesome thread!!!
There was some outlandish designs in Gurren Lagann but they made sense going with the theme of the show.As they were homages to some of the old school, new school mech shows, marvel comics,and themselves(Evangelion)
These have become my favorite designs as of recent.

10 October 2012
Madcat and Shadowcat from Mechwarrior 3 game

10 October 2012
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-j8FTDBADJ...0/1+%282%29.jpg

Sazabi MSN-04

10 October 2012
C'mon, who doesn't want one of these?

Thread Closed share thread