Coolest Mechs?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #31
I really like how they were able to make the mecha seem giant in this Gaiking teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmPLiJgGASM

Old 10 October 2012   #32
Many classics have already been mentioned, and I'll echo the sentiments on the District 9 mech especially, but lets not forget this little multi function gem:

Scout configuration:

http://www.virtualworldlets.net/Res...Image.php?ID=49

Attack configuration:

http://animatrix.thesolarnetwork.or...ry/galmcl05.jpg

One of the most refreshingly bizarre mechs I've seen.

The cheetah mech currently in development in the states would be impressive, not to mention terrifying, to see let loose even at its current size. I imagine they'll be testing its ability to chase down people with the humanoid robot when they can get it running too. I wouldn't want to be a human test subject for that thing...

Old 10 October 2012   #33
Ohh I would also like to mention DW IV winner, that is one sweet concept.

Old 10 October 2012   #34
Though I never really played the game much, I always loved the designs and artwork from Rifts the tabletop game.

There must be about 1,000 mechs in the multiverse but I'll go with the iconic Glitterboy.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 10 October 2012   #35
Love everything on this thread. And honestly my contribution isn't exactly one I'd put over the others on this list (the Hobby Japan stuff goes really deep into my childhood).

But I really like this design as well and I think it helps foster a different direction in artistic design:

Above: Kit-Bash Predaking by "FrenzyRumble"
Figured there weren't enough "Macho" robots in this thread. :P

Oh and I must add together with the great Makoto Kobayashi in this thread, the designer Junji Okubo who designed mecha for Capcom's "Steel Battalion"

I also have a soft spot for the totally impractical/decorative mecha like the ones in Five Star Stories:

Wow this thread is great!

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 10 October 2012 at 07:41 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #36
I am sure everyone has seen this, it is so well made I just had to post it here.

Old 10 October 2012   #37
Originally Posted by mental: The first two 'mechs' that caught my eye as a kid were the Power Loader from the Aliens film and the VF-1 Valkyrie from Macross. There's something inherently awesome about an F-14 Tomcat that can shoot 5 dozen of those 80's style swarming missles in a dog fight and then change into a 3 story high robot with a badass laser cannon. The characteristic that both mechs share is that they seemed entirely plausible as a kid. None of that Gundam baloney with laser swords and shining fingers

The VF-1 Valkyrie was the defining mech of my childhood. I wanted that toy sooooo bad but my mum couldn't afford it. I showed a picture of one to my kids in elementary school class in Japan last week and they said "what is that?"

THERE'S MORE THAN JUST ONE PIECE YOU LITTLE RATS!!! GO OLD SCHOOL!

Old 10 October 2012   #38
VF-1 Valkyries, Hobby Japan... hey.. why don't we just kick it old school some MORE!

UNICRON

Old 10 October 2012   #39
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: But I really like this design as well and I think it helps foster a different direction in artistic design:

Above: Kit-Bash Predaking by "FrenzyRumble"
Figured there weren't enough "Macho" robots in this thread. :P

Whoa, Predaking! Towards the tail end of when I was actually into Transformers. I had a couple of the bots in this group and all of the Terrorcon group. Ah, the good ol' days.

Since you brought up Transformers I've got to mention Voltron. I think Angel here on CGTalk might have the best version of Voltron I've seen.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 10 October 2012   #40
Originally Posted by WyattHarris: Whoa, Predaking! Towards the tail end of when I was actually into Transformers. I had a couple of the bots in this group and all of the Terrorcon group. Ah, the good ol' days.

Since you brought up Transformers I've got to mention Voltron. I think Angel here on CGTalk might have the best version of Voltron I've seen.

Yeah, I love his versoin! That was a great competition. I also love the kitbash that Padawan posted above, even cooler!

Old 10 October 2012   #41
I'm also a huge fan of the classics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq2Gsk-G6Eo

Those ridiculous Bladerunner control panels, unnecessary teeth and vaguely skeletal heads and of course every piece of armor is designed like a motorcycle.

Old 10 October 2012   #42
Needless teeth, needless claws, needless resemblance to animals:

I haven't exactly kept score.. But I think Japan is leading in this thread.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 10 October 2012 at 11:23 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #43
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: I am sure everyone has seen this, it is so well made I just had to post it here.

What is this from?

Old 10 October 2012   #44
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Needless teeth, needless claws, needless resemblance to animals:

I haven't exactly kept score.. But I think Japan is leading in this thread.

Liger Zero FTW

Old 10 October 2012   #45
Originally Posted by ParamountCell: What is this from?

CGhub's top row. But it was originally intended for Dom War V. I Don't recall if he finished in time or not. But I remember seeing his posts back then and I was sure he would take 1st place. :(

Thread Closed share thread