DIFFERENT ANIMATION SOLUTIONS: faster & easier !

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #16
Didn't Poser have a similar approach for posing models, where the user would simply select the body part that he wants to adjust without really being exposed to an underlying rig structure?

Old 10 October 2012   #17
Originally Posted by ManuelM: Didn't Poser have a similar approach for posing models, where the user would simply select the body part that he wants to adjust without really being exposed to an underlying rig structure?

Yup. Poser was my first introduction to character posing and animation. When I finally 'upgraded' to one of the big boys, I was a touch disappointed that the Poser way was seen as 'amateurish'. I found it very intuitive and straight forward - and kind of missed it.

Poser also had full body IK before most others too. When Maya announced it as a 'break through' many years later, I was mildly amused.

Old 10 October 2012   #18
Originally Posted by grrinc: ..Poser also had full body IK before most others too. When Maya announced it as a 'break through' many years later, I was mildly amused.

Heh, Modo announced the same breakthrough too just recently I believe

Cheers,
Brian

Old 10 October 2012   #19
I first heard Kaydara talking about fullbody IK skeletons but who cares...

The tool exposed in this thread looks nice and has other aspects that makes it look interesting too. I donno if retargeting and motioncapture is applyable with this approach though. The ultimate character animation tool that is as simple as it is sophisticated has yet to be invented imo.

Old 10 October 2012   #20
Hi everybody,

It's not really the same thing

Thanks

Aurel

Last edited by Aurel77 : 12 December 2012 at 10:02 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #21
Aurel,

You should turn your animation/UI ideas into a detailed PDF reference document that 3D software coders can then work from.

Whether you do this with Autodesk, or with Luxology, or with Open Source Blender, the programmers need a step-by-step guide that explains exactly how the animation system + UI works.

For UI mockups, again, I highly recommend Adobe Fireworks. I've found nothing better for designing detailed & beautiful UIs.

Good Luck!

Old 10 October 2012   #22
@Aurel77

Why bother with product managers and similar corporate nonesense
when you can be your own boss?

release this stuff as a standalone tool and plugin for main 3dapps, if you own the whole thing. Get a bank loan to patent it first of course. You could sell it as a download only product. Via Steam or MacAppstore if you want. I'd buy it right away if priced adequately.

Last edited by mustique : 10 October 2012 at 12:25 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #23
Why not

Thanks

Aurel

Last edited by Aurel77 : 12 December 2012 at 10:04 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #24
if you can make big bucks by patenting it, feel free, but that could prevent other good guys (like open source softwares) from using it without going through the license hassles, otherwise, brilliant idea on making animation in a better way, good luck!

Old 10 October 2012   #25
It represents lots of tuning.

Thanks

Aurelien

Last edited by Aurel77 : 12 December 2012 at 10:06 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #26
To answer Wgan, i don't know really today how this thing will evolve. As i'm looking for a job, the most logical to me was to knocking on big 3D companies doors first.
But maybe i'll take an other way.
It's just that i believe in it, so i'll do my best to go as far as possible.

Thanks

Aurel

Old 10 October 2012   #27
Hi,

For those who are interested and want to participate

Last edited by Aurel77 : 12 December 2012 at 10:06 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #28
Originally Posted by Horganovski: Heh, Modo announced the same breakthrough too just recently I believe

Cheers,
Brian

Well Maya boasting it was funny since it was an acquired technology from Kaydara circa 2001, 3 years after Mirai, 98/99, not sure who else might have had similar technologies.

The tools interesting and from a classical animation background the xsheet and pose workflow is logical, but there are challenges ahead where that type of workflow will always hit a wall, and you'll need to have curves. First, manually posing 12 frames per second is demanding enough, which is why TV animation cheats it so much, doing so for 24 or 30 fps is very time consuming.

Second your still posing as opposed to drawing, drainwg an entire pose is super quick but reposing from scratch while still making sure to match up feet manually is cumbersome. Really thats one of the key challenges in this type of workflow is constantly battling matching and maintain alignment of things with a primarily FK based method. You did demonstrate some IK ability but then I wonder how does the IK and FK mix with utilizing props and blending?

One that has me curious form a render point of view too, is that posing with soley FK is where we see a lot of bad flips and pops in subframes break motionblur. Id be curious as to how well this system handles since it was stated it's development was for games where I don't know if subframe data is a big of a concern/issue.

Old 10 October 2012   #29
Hi,

I think the bad flips and glitches you refer to concern specially ingame recordings. There, like in any game, i don't control when animation will interpolate with an other, at what time, in what condition, so sometimes the animation engine can generate weird things.

Last edited by Aurel77 : 12 December 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #30
Opinion Poll:

I don't know really if there's some special "poll" post mode as we can find on other forums.

Thanks

Last edited by Aurel77 : 12 December 2012 at 10:08 AM.

Thread Closed share thread