Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
orenvfx
Explorer

portfolio
oren leventar
Israel

no installer products for autodesk in 2 years?

hello
i really want to understand all the cloud story of autodesk

in the end of the day, they mean that nobody can work in OFFLINE in autodesk products OR installers products like 3ds max 2015 will be still in those days?
all this for prevent the crackers to act? its going to work?

Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by orenvfx

We deal with confidential 3D client designs where I'm working right now.

Confidential means that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES do we connect the PCs we work on to the internet.

If we did connect to the internet, a hacker or virus/trojan could easily steal or leak the designs.

In plain words: There are many, many realworld scenarios where the computer you work on MUST NOT BE CONNECTED to the Internet.

So there has to be an offline installer for any DCC software we use, an installer that doesn't need Internet activation or a live internet connection to install/work.

If Autodesk makes Internet Connectivity MANDATORY for using its products, tens of thousands of people will probably switch to software that doesn't require this.

There's always alternative products that DO WORK OFFLINE.

If Autodesk goes the "Mandatory Cloud-Based Application" route, I guarantee you that they will loose many customers.

And then, within 3 - 6 months they will make Offline Applications available again so as not to loose their customer base.

Last edited by DePaint : 10-04-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
HFnord

Quote:
Originally Posted by orenvfx
hello
i really want to understand all the cloud story of autodesk

in the end of the day, they mean that nobody can work in OFFLINE in autodesk products OR installers products like 3ds max 2015 will be still in those days?

Do you have any NEW source for this? Or is two years your own estimate?

Old 10-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
oktawu
visual stuff

Octavian
okto
Earth, Romania

one of the many cover stories: http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/04/au...-soon-go-online

if they do that, they will indeed lose a lot of customers.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
HFnord

I agree they'd lose many customers.
But the Carl Bass interview spawned numerous rebuttals from the M&E division, Marc Petit is mentioned in the article you link to and Ken Pimentel did have a few thing to say about it as well. I don't have the time to look up the links, but there were several threads on the topic even here at the CGTalk. Bottom line: we all know it will come, nobody knows when, but personally I think (or is it hope) it won't happen overnight.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
DuttyFoot
Expert

stephen curah
USA

Quote:
I agree they'd lose many customers.
But the Carl Bass interview spawned numerous rebuttals from the M&E division, Marc Petit is mentioned in the article you link to and Ken Pimentel did have a few thing to say about it as well.

don't forget that two months ago when there quarterly earnings were poor and they started laying people off. in the article about the poor earnings they also talked about focusing on mobile which means the same cloud based model.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #7
HFnord

True, the game may have changed after the "quarterly earnings" woes, I however still believe the objections originally raised by Marc Petit and Ken Pimentel (among others) against the idea of implementing this easily in the context of Autodesk Media & Entertainment to be valid. But this might just as well wishful thinking, I hasten to add...
And in the Second Quarter Results press release Carl Bass is quoted as saying:
Quote:
This restructuring is squarely focused on our continued transformation and shift to more cloud and mobile computing.

A shift to MORE (as in: not all?) cloud and mobile computing, as was to be expected, but it seems to be a slightly more subtle statement than mr. Bass' original one (in the interview mentioned above).

Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
We deal with confidential 3D client designs where I'm working right now.
Confidential means that UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES do we connect the PCs we work on to the internet.

If we did connect to the internet, a hacker or virus/trojan could easily steal or leak the designs.

If you were any more paranoid you'd neOH MY GOD THERES A MONSTER IN THE CUPBOARD!

Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #9
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by imashination
If you were any more paranoid you'd neOH MY GOD THERES A MONSTER IN THE CUPBOARD!

We've had our wireless router and local area network hacked by parties unknown in the past. We never found out who did it, how they did it, or how much data they gained access to.

There's no way in hell that we are hooking our work PCs up to the internet again.

Go ahead, make fun of that all you want.

All software should have an offline installer available for precisely this reason.

Last edited by DePaint : 10-04-2012 at 06:22 PM.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Diffus3d
Mad Scientist

portfolio
Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis
3ds Max Tech Support
Autodesk
USA

There's too many reasons why this can't realistically happen for max/maya. Plugins being the biggest and most important. The CEO just got on camera and started parroting words he didn't really understand... I'm sure we've all seen it before. I like righteous indignation as much as the next guy, but...

Old 10-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
th3ta
Veteran

portfolio
3d Artist
In a dark office, USA

There's already been articles and statements made saying that what the CEO said was wrong. He didn't know what cloud computing was and they are not moving to a cloud only system.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
HFnord

@x24BitVoxel
I don't think it's beating a dead horse that much, but more of a Sword of Damocles Autodesk has hung above our heads. Eventually (but probably not terribly soon, probably not the two years the OP mentioned) the company will switch to cloud-only (they "just" have to iron out a "couple" of M&E concerns ) and when they do we can't say we weren't forewarned.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Diffus3d
Mad Scientist

portfolio
Alfred (AJ) DeFlaminis
3ds Max Tech Support
Autodesk
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFnord
@x24BitVoxel
I don't think it's beating a dead horse that much, but more of a Sword of Damocles Autodesk has hung above our heads. Eventually (but probably not terribly soon, probably not the two years the OP mentioned) the company will switch to cloud-only (they "just" have to iron out a "couple" of M&E concerns ) and when they do we can't say we weren't forewarned.

I just don't see how it can work. The bandwidth costs alone would make it terribly expensive for Autodesk. At my current day job we render almost 30 gigs a day easy... that would really tough to deal with. I'll just say then that I'm very skeptical. I must admit, I had to google Sword of Damocles. Interesting story.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #14
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktawu
one of the many cover stories: http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/04/au...-soon-go-online

if they do that, they will indeed lose a lot of customers.

That's all fine until all the other software makers also go Cloud. Then it will be either use the Cloud or go out of business.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
orenvfx
Explorer

portfolio
oren leventar
Israel

In the days thats happend with the cloud issue, you think the crackers team find a way to make autodesk suprise and get there hands on the news version and make them work offline?

Thread Closed share thread