Dreamworks "The Croods" Official Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #31
Love This Trailer

I really love this trailer. I watched it atleast 5 times just to watch it again. Thank You for showing it!

Old 12 December 2012   #32
Originally Posted by JoshBowman: Looks utterly terrible from a character/story point of view, utterly uninteresting character design which looks like a first year student film....scratch that, I've seen better first year films with more interesting character design that this. Not even going to bother wasting the hour and a half of my life sitting through this. I'd rather stare at the ceiling.

That's more than a little disappointing to hear coming from a self described student of animation. You should seek out any and all examples of professional work in your field, you'll always learn something. Who knows, you may end up having in the process as well

Old 03 March 2013   #33
saw this today. would recommend for family fun! great environments, awesome creatures, solid work all around! the emotional scenes weren't as strong but that's just a minor nit pick compared to everything else. would watch again. great job to everyone involved!

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:
another nit pick that bothered me was Grugs "big idea"...it breaks his character as the "all brawn's and no brains" caveman type...it would've been nice if they came up with something that involved his strength, like a catapult or something but that was just another nit pick.

Old 03 March 2013   #34
It beat $40m this weekend, does that mean everyone at Dreamworks is safe for now?

Old 03 March 2013   #35
Yet again a meh subject and yet again exceptional work. I am guessing this is the secret to success!

Old 03 March 2013   #36
Originally Posted by Kanga: Yet again a meh subject and yet again exceptional work. I am guessing this is the secret to success!

Exactly what I was thinking! I read a story synopsis after initially being "meh" as well... and discovered that they actually had "something to say". Granted it wasn't anything particularly new. But the synopsis sounded like they knew what to focus on and had a disciplined construction of the film!

Alfred Hitchcock's rule of thumb seems like it is coming to play here. "The HOW in your movie is more important than the WHAT".

P.S.: I still think "Turbo" will be no good.

Old 03 March 2013   #37
Quote: I will never do anything new or different.

That's the DreamWorks Animation motto right there...

...and it seems like Pixar is following suit, with Brave etc..

Last edited by -SD- : 03 March 2013 at 01:01 PM.

Old 03 March 2013   #38
Saw it Friday night and really enjoyed it, and my wife really connected with the father/daughter storyline. The animation and environments were beautiful, story was solid but not groundbreaking.

If you're looking for a fun animated comedy for the whole family it's worth a watch.

Old 03 March 2013   #39
I think I've seen enough of these CG shows to last a lifetime.
More of the old fashioned shampoo, rinse and repeat, ad naseum.

Anyone else remember the stop motion caveman series called "Gogs"?
A lot more entertaining and not just for kids.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109915/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS8PGaHN0Wk

No special stars required for the limited vocal stylings either!

Old 03 March 2013   #40
Originally Posted by -SD-: That's the DreamWorks Animation motto right there...

...and it seems like Pixar is following suit, with Brave etc..

I honestly felt Brave was new territory for it. It was closer to the young adult action adventure thing with an archer for a heroine.

I felt it and WETA's The Adventures of Tintin were both attempts at something in a different place from Toy Story, Madagascar, Ice Age...

Old 03 March 2013   #41
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I felt it and WETA's The Adventures of Tintin were both attempts at something in a different place from Toy Story, Madagascar, Ice Age...

I would include Rango in that list.

Old 03 March 2013   #42
How does Dreamworks operate? Do they watch a movie like Brave and go:

Hey, look, a girl with red curly hair climbing a rock face basked in warm sunlight. That looks great, it's like a metaphor or something. We should have a shot just like this in our next movie, too! (see trailer #1)

But what makes her want to break out? Is she a princess, too?

No wait, Pixar has done this other movie, where this fish has a father who's afraid of everything outside his of his home cave and forbids his kid to venture out. So it has to.

Could it be a boy? I don't know if I'm ready for a strong, independent girl.

We'll let her meet a guy who's cooler so she has someone to look up to (let's call him Guy for now). And we'll put in something about her loving clothes or shoes, to show she's normal. (see trailer #2)

Great, then we just add the rest of the nucleus family and create some environments not based on anything.

And cute/cool animals of course. Where do we place the story?

The prehistoric era! Worked well for Ice Age, didn't it? No one knows anything about it, so it's like a blank slate where you can put anything.

So they have to cross some random territory due to geological reasons that would make a scientist cringe? Perfect.

You think we'll need a script for this or just the usual joke writers?

-

Old 03 March 2013   #43
Originally Posted by th3ta: You know what I just realized after watching this? In all the CG kids shows on TV, the voice actors change their voice to make it fit with the cartoony characters they're playing. Nobody just talks in their real speaking voice.

In these hollywood CG features, they all have A+ actors who just talk normal. I've never really noticed it before, but my god, Nicholas Cage's voice is such a mismatch for that character. He sounds nothing like he looks. It's horrible.

Actually ya know what, it does work in certain cases, thinking back on Pixar films. I think it's just Nicholas Cage's voice in this is such a bad decision that it threw me off.

I know what you mean. Johnny Depp felt to me like he was trying new variations of himself with Rango however (or maybe just a bit more of his Ed Wood/Fear and Loathing 'personas' come to think of it).

For this one-if my son wants to see it I'll give it a go. Otherwise it pales significantly behind HTTYD for instance...i agree pretty much with all the crits and I do hope we haven't seen the best gags in the trailer.

Old 03 March 2013   #44
I forget which successful voice actor it was, but he pretty much went off on a rant of how real voice actors spends years and years honing their craft, creating voices for characters, and pretty much doing their job to make a voice that works and hide theirs as best as they can. And yet Hollywood features seem to just want the star power of celebrities who come in and just talk normal.

Sure, it can work really well. But in some cases, like this, I feel like the voice detracts more than helps. In other words, when a character starts to talk, I shouldn't be distracted with knowing exactly who the actor is.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 03 March 2013   #45
Originally Posted by Michael5188: I forget which successful voice actor it was, but he pretty much went off on a rant of how real voice actors spends years and years honing their craft, creating voices for characters, and pretty much doing their job to make a voice that works and hide theirs as best as they can. And yet Hollywood features seem to just want the star power of celebrities who come in and just talk normal.

Sure, it can work really well. But in some cases, like this, I feel like the voice detracts more than helps. In other words, when a character starts to talk, I shouldn't be distracted with knowing exactly who the actor is.

Big star names are a draw in foreign markets, even if its later dubbed in a local language, the promotional tours of the said stars on those markets can boost box office in those territories. Since we're talking Dreamworks, the "big stars" are often pay on scale based on the BO of the film. The end result is you have the voices doing 1-2 months of foreign press junkets to promote a DWA movie.

People who work in animation will know the big name voice talent in animation circles but outside of that the public will go "who cares"

Showing up to a South American press junket with Angelia Jolie and Hugh Jackman would have a radically different outcome than say showing up with Billy West and Tara Strong.

Anyways, as for the earlier comment that is if "Dreamworks is safe" time will tell. It seems every time they try to get 3 movies done a year, the schedule slips and they have to let a ton of people go. This happened to a lesser scale when croods pushed 2 or so years ago and you had more artists than positions to go onto. Sucks balls, explains why DWA pushed hard to change peoples contracts from multi-year terms to completion of service.

Could have been worse, looking at R+H, too many people got left holding the bag (One reason why I never ever work when back pay is owed). At Dreamworks they were buying out a lot of contracts wholesale. Friend of mine got almost a years worth of Salary paid out, so hes taking some time off. Combine that with the Union benefits bank of a year+ of health care in reserve, the DWA artists got a semi decent parachute landing relatively speaking.

Thread Closed share thread