Dreamworks "The Croods" Official Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #16
Originally Posted by Artbot: Looks kinda fun, but very derivative. Feels like a mashup of Brave, Ice Age, Incredibles, Avatar, & Journey 2: The Mysterious Island.

How about Blur's "In the rough"?

Feels a bit like someone got... inspired by that short.

Old 10 October 2012   #17
Wink follow the rules

Anyone who works long enough in TV will know that there is a re-cycle loop. Kids grow. But people doesn't want to see old stuff (that is why remakes always change things). Kids on the other hand grows up and producers get to have new audience (younger kids).

Due to kids experience and attention span, it's okay for people to do this (re-cycle). But we adults won't fall for it, specially if there is nothing new added.

To me it's a DVD material, and if I have nothing else to rent.

But kids might enjoy it.

Old 10 October 2012   #18
Originally Posted by Laa-Yosh: How about Blur's "In the rough"?

Feels a bit like someone got... inspired by that short.

Yup...I was thinking the same thing. Great short by the way...

Old 10 October 2012   #19
You know what I just realized after watching this? In all the CG kids shows on TV, the voice actors change their voice to make it fit with the cartoony characters they're playing. Nobody just talks in their real speaking voice.

In these hollywood CG features, they all have A+ actors who just talk normal. I've never really noticed it before, but my god, Nicholas Cage's voice is such a mismatch for that character. He sounds nothing like he looks. It's horrible.

Actually ya know what, it does work in certain cases, thinking back on Pixar films. I think it's just Nicholas Cage's voice in this is such a bad decision that it threw me off.

Last edited by th3ta : 10 October 2012 at 06:06 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #20
yeah in my opinion, Pixar has always been better at casting actors for their characters. They always match so perfectly. They seem to care less about getting big Hollywood actors.

Old 10 October 2012   #21
Nick Cage definitely throws this off for me. They should have made his character overact weirdly and be unhinged like he always does.

The rest seems so very cut and dry, and doesn't seem to indicate there will be much for characters or dialog..are we supposed to spend the whole time going "ooh look at that new thing" while the characters are going "ooh look at that new thing" and we all learn a little about ourselves?

I can be fine with a cliche plot as long as there's something that feels fresh in it, like the setting, or the characters, writing, gags, something, anything. This just feels like a mashup of too many other movies, but boiled down to a dull stew, instead of spiced up.

Maybe future trailers will sell the writing or characters more, but it just doesn't seem there so far.

Old 10 October 2012   #22
Originally Posted by rblitz7: yeah in my opinion, Pixar has always been better at casting actors for their characters. They always match so perfectly. They seem to care less about getting big Hollywood actors.

Was going to say this. One thing they they did, or used to do, when casting a character was grab a scene from an old movie that had an actor similar to the one they wanted to cast. They would animate a pretty polished scene (maybe a minute's worth) with the character and analyze how well the design & mannerisms fit with the voice.

At a local Siggraph meeting many years ago, they actually showed a reel of these and it had the audience in convulsions. One of the scenes was the threatening monologue that Hopper gives in ABL. Kevin Spacey was not yet cast and they wanted a 'cool but scary' gangster character, so they did temp animations to scenes from DeNiro movies and couple other gangster films. They took the original v.o. from a movie like Goodfellas (and left all the f-bombs and everything in) so it was a little shocking and quite hilarious. IIRC, there were some scenes from Miller's Crossing, too. These were never meant to be sold or distributed, but it was a treat getting to see them.

Old 10 October 2012   #23
From that trailer, think i'll wait for DVD. Pretty boring character design, some strange hair movement (looks like underwater coral when she's climbing the rock-face) -Nick Cage's voice threw me, and nothing really super interesting about the plot; standard fare.

With that said, there are some good bits. As an FX guy, it looks like there are some good scenes to show off dynamics and smoke (the rocks coming down looked pretty good), and I'm sure there will be some cool places and events out in the mystery jungle.

Really wish they could break out a little bit from the safe and boring character designs, and story arc, for that matter.

Old 10 October 2012   #24
Originally Posted by Artbot: Was going to say this. One thing they they did, or used to do, when casting a character was grab a scene from an old movie that had an actor similar to the one they wanted to cast. They would animate a pretty polished scene (maybe a minute's worth) with the character and analyze how well the design & mannerisms fit with the voice.

At a local Siggraph meeting many years ago, they actually showed a reel of these and it had the audience in convulsions. One of the scenes was the threatening monologue that Hopper gives in ABL. Kevin Spacey was not yet cast and they wanted a 'cool but scary' gangster character, so they did temp animations to scenes from DeNiro movies and couple other gangster films. They took the original v.o. from a movie like Goodfellas (and left all the f-bombs and everything in) so it was a little shocking and quite hilarious. IIRC, there were some scenes from Miller's Crossing, too. These were never meant to be sold or distributed, but it was a treat getting to see them.

That is pretty fantastic..have to find a way to see those sometime..it's like the ultimate version of 11 second club.

What I love about Pixar's approach to voice actors, especially vs. pre-Dragon Dreamworks, is they just cast the part, and then shut up about it..yes, they will talk about the cast on press junkets or have them on talk shows, but it's never over the title on the poster, not in the trailers, etc. the movies star the characters, not the movie stars.

To be fair, Croods doesn't seem to be playing that up either really, it's just Nick Cage is SO incongruous in any kind of movie, let alone an animated one, he sticks out like a flaming skull.

Old 10 October 2012   #25
Well, I can't say I'm impressed by the character design, but I'll probably see it on DVD just to see all the different environments.... I love "whimsical technicolor forest" type settings a la Nausicaa, Avatar, etc... Also, that reveal from the cliff when she says, "You've gotta see this" kinda reminds me of a Daniel Lieske Wormworld Saga panel.

I write about CG for About.com: 3d.about.com. Come say hi!

Last edited by Jussslic : 10 October 2012 at 10:35 PM.

Old 12 December 2012   #26
New trailer:
http://youtu.be/mOV86u8Uwho
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 12 December 2012   #27
New trailer was a lot more fun, love the caveman stupidity jokes, really they could be through out the entire movie and I don't think I'd ever get tired of it.

Still feel weird saying this, but it just doesn't look good, technically, to me. The hair looks odd, like hair from 90's cg, and I just really can't get over the character design (which I really, really don't like)

But could be full of laughs and a good story, and I care about that a lot more than cg hair.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 12 December 2012   #28
Reminds me of Ice Age, but with people.

Old 12 December 2012   #29
No "cool" talking animals (besides that sloth) that can't be a real dreamworks movie.

Old 12 December 2012   #30
Looks very colorful, but I've never been a huge fan of Dreamworks films. This doesn't look like it will be an exception. The environments look great to me, but I have to agree with all the comments about the character design, and of course Cage's voice.
I thought the shot with all the dust and falling rocks was pretty cool though, and I was laughing pretty hard at the falling elephant until the monkey ruined it for me. The animation looks interesting too. It seems kind of doughy, but there's a distinct sense of primitivism, so kudos to the animators for that.

Thread Closed share thread