Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #31
neuk
Dr. Strangelove
portfolio
ognjen vukovic
london, United Kingdom

I would just like to jump in on this for a second , but in my opinion 3d printers would cause a very big ripple in the production world.Giving people the power to produce anything they need the moment they need it would seriously shake the current structure of the market as it is. Its no wonder the fear mongering has already started even though the whole concept of everyone having one of these printers at home is still very young.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #32
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by wurger
Leaving aside European gun phobias.

2000 years of constant warfare tends to have this effect on the psychological leanings of folk.....

There was a case here in the North- which has had it's fair share of severe violence- back in the early '90's when 2 secondary school(high school) students built a working mortar for various sectarian reasons in the school metal-work shop. As mentioned, this is nothing new, and blaming the tool for the actions of the fool is completely idiotic. Not to mention the fact that in our own metal-work shop in school every 14 year-old in the room couldn't wait to start work on an imitation shotgun or sword once the teacher's back was turned. One of my classmate's double-barrel shotgun was so realistic that he got expelled from the school when he got caught with it.

"Litre of petrol...check...empty wine bottle...check....piece of cloth...check....now if only we had some way to create fire.."

Old 10-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #33
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuk
I would just like to jump in on this for a second , but in my opinion 3d printers would cause a very big ripple in the production world.Giving people the power to produce anything they need the moment they need it would seriously shake the current structure of the market as it is. Its no wonder the fear mongering has already started even though the whole concept of everyone having one of these printers at home is still very young.

I think that this is just like what happened with VCRs.

When Betamax home VCRs were introduced (by Sony), Hollywood threw a massive fit and tried to get their sale banned, arguing that VCRs would "Kill the Film Market":

Quote:
During the late 1970s and early 1980s, Valenti became notorious for his flamboyant attacks on the Sony Betamax Video Cassette Recorder (VCR), which the MPAA feared would devastate the movie industry. He famously told a congressional panel in 1982, "I say to you that the VCR is to the American film producer and the American public as the Boston strangler is to the woman home alone."[11] Despite Valenti's prediction, the home video market ultimately came to be the mainstay of movie studio revenues throughout the 1980s and 1990s.

Then, as we all know, Hollywood made Billions from the home video market VCRs created.

Its the same with 3D Printers. Industry, at some point, is going to argue that home 3D Printers will "Devastate the Manufacturing Industry". They will say that nobody will buy physical products anymore if they can print the products at home. Bla bla bla bla...

Then, as with the VCR, they will make Billions from home 3D Printing, because they can reduce their factory manufacturing capacity - a huge cost of making products - and any branded product you print will cost you $$$ in license fees.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #34
gristle
Frequenter

portfolio
Andrew Jackson
AJ Design Studio LTD
Wellington, New Zealand

This clown had a Stratasys machine, so FDM. Basically a model made from an extruded string of ABS. I think it would have unwound like a ball of spagetti as soon as he fired the thing.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #35
flipnap
Pepperoni Pizzza

guns dont kill people, 3D printers do

God- "nietzsche is dead"

Old 10-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #36
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dtutorial
I was recently contacted by someone wanting me to 3d scan a "key" for purposes of 3d printing/manufacture. I didn't feel comfortable with the request and passed on the job.

Something just didn't feel right.

Cheers,

Joe

Reading about recent article on the fire department master key (sold on ebay?), I think you did the right thing.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 AM   #37
Calabi
Frequenter

portfolio
Wobbleyou
London, United Kingdom

I dont think this is that controversial. People have been able to build bombs and other weapons for years.

A gun still requires gunpowder and bullets.

Surely a crossbow or something would be a better(if you were inclined to print something like that).

Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #38
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Leaving aside European gun phobias

It's this kind of off-handed and frankly ignorant dismissal of complex characteristics of other cultures that gives many Americans such a bad reputation around the rest of the world, you know.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #39
Katachi
Boss at Naviť

portfolio
Samir Kharchi
FX Artist & Software Dev
Naviť
Magdeburg, Germany

Quote:
Leaving aside European gun phobias

Europe had guns long before America even existed...young padawan. Children also do stuff adults don't do anymore because they realise it was childish.. *cough* Let's talk again in 1500 years or so.

Com'on you handed it on a plate

Old 10-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #40
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Here is the original thread. Test fired and works.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/579913_.html

Old 10-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #41
Charkins
Digital Handyman

portfolio
Christopher Harkins
Lead CG Artist
Kitestring
Louisville, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPixolin

That appears to a separate instance and only a component, the AR lower.

According to this, the gun was never produced because he hadn't even opened the box before they took it back.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #42
WyattHarris
Daddy x 4

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Wyatt Harris
WyattHarris.com
Baton Rouge, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
You're right that there is a huge cultural divide when it comes to guns but don't presume necessarily that your way is the right way. This is a far more complex and personal subject than simply suggesting that those who don't arm themselves are naive.

Yes, I understand and stated such. I was responding to the fantasy Dirty Harry comment. The reality is when I'm working late at night it's not uncommon to hear gun-shots ringing out in the distance. It saddens me the state of moral decay that has occurred in my country but the boy scout in me will always be prepared. It is not living in a state of fear, it is knowing your surroundings and being ready for action. I understand that many will not agree with me and I'll leave it at that. No silly jabs or snide remarks, promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DePaint
I think that this is just like what happened with VCRs.
When Betamax home VCRs were introduced (by Sony), Hollywood threw a massive fit and tried to get their sale banned, arguing that VCRs would "Kill the Film Market":

Funny you mention VCRs because I was thinking of Napster when I read about this. "Napster and P2P file sharing are going to kill the music industry!" and now that is practically the only way to get music. Once 3D printing gets closer to consumer ready I could see 2 things happen, either they go the Napster way and vilify the tech and Apple (or Sony) becomes the Metallica of home brew mass production missing a golden opportunity, or they embrace the tech, work out partnerships with printer makers and collect their fees up front lowering costs all around, shipping, inventory etc.

Eventually, either scenario will end up the same. You won't be able to stop the tech and it will be used by everyone whether the big buys like it or not.

This would be an interesting topic to submit to Mythbusters.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 10-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #43
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattHarris
Funny you mention VCRs because I was thinking of Napster when I read about this. "Napster and P2P file sharing are going to kill the music industry!" and now that is practically the only way to get music. Once 3D printing gets closer to consumer ready I could see 2 things happen, either they go the Napster way and vilify the tech and Apple (or Sony) becomes the Metallica of home brew mass production missing a golden opportunity, or they embrace the tech, work out partnerships with printer makers and collect their fees up front lowering costs all around, shipping, inventory etc.

Decrying the "new thing/new method/new paradigm" as an instant "business model wrecker" seems to be something of a ritual for big business.

The suits/MBA's who run big companies want to hold on to their "proven, cash-making business models" for another 5 - 10 years without having to go through the pains of "changing" and "innovating" for real. Because change & innovation = risk to them.

So they sling lots of mud at the "new thing", and do some lobbying in Washington and elsewhere, knowing full well that the new thing will eventually happen anyway.

But if they can delay it by, say, 5 - 7 years, then that's 5 - 7 more years of easy extra profits before industrywide changes have to happen.

The biggest dealbreaker with 3D Printing is that current 3D Printer manufacturers are relatively small companies.

It wouldn't take much money for Microsoft, Apple, Google or Amazon to buy up these small 3D Printing companies.

If that happens, big industry can delay the advent of genuinely powerful and useful home & office 3D Printers by several years. Perhaps by a whole decade...

I would hope that antitrust laws would kick in in the event of big business buying up all major 3D Printer companies. But who knows... policymakers may empathise with big business, rather than the entusiast would-be home user of 3D Printers, and literally nothing may be done about the mass acquisition of 3D Printer makers by big business.

Its going to be interesting how this whole thing plays out over the next 10 years or so.

Open-Source designs for 3D Printers are getting better with time. But its like Blender. The really useful features arrive several years after the commercial guys have implemented them.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:06 AM   #44
wurger
Veteran
John Hostick
Same pay, less work.
CA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh
It's this kind of off-handed and frankly ignorant dismissal of complex characteristics of other cultures that gives many Americans such a bad reputation around the rest of the world, you know.

Funny, I'm frequently in the minority since I'm politically liberal, despite the fact that I've been shooting for over 40 years. Granted, there are a lot of huckleberry gun owners, but you would be hard pressed to find more ignorance and predjiuce than there is in the anti-gun community. More than a little ignorant dismissal of gun owners.

Last edited by wurger : 10-05-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 AM   #45
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPixolin

This is the method I was referring to - 3D print Receiver section only.

Thread Closed share thread