Paperman Breakdown...Mod Edit: (Full short now Online)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Paperman Breakdown...Mod Edit: (Full short now Online)

Interesting example of motion tracking 2D vectors to simulate a toon style for Disney's new short animated film.

www.*********.com/features/paperman-breakdown

[Edit:]
I am having trouble trying to post this link...the "***" part is "its art mag" with no spaces. I have no idea what's going on :/

Last edited by Njen : 10 October 2012 at 12:45 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #2
Pretty cool look. They are really trying hard to hang on to a 2d style and bring it into 3d renders. Comes out nice

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Saw this short at Siggraph, it is simply amazing. Great story and characters as well as being beautiful. The system they created for the short allows traditional animators to use 3D animation as a kind of 2D animation helper but always gives them creative control of every line and detail of the animation.

They are going to show this before Wreck It Ralph. I have seen Paperman 4 times now and it is probably 75% of the reason I want to see Wreck it Ralph in the theaters.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
I saw this at SIGGRAPH and it blew my mind.
Mark my words, this sucker will win the Oscar for best animated short.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 10 October 2012   #5
That´s amazing! Would love to have something like that.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
the final look is absolutely wonderful. Can't wait to see it in its entirety.

Old 10 October 2012   #7
That is some seriously clever tech - I wonder if this software stems from the 2D feel they were originally going for in Tangled? Really clever work.

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Old 10 October 2012   #8
Originally Posted by Njen: I am having trouble trying to post this link...the "***" part is "its art mag" with no spaces. I have no idea what's going on :/

This link works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKl9mpGMCiA

Beautiful technology. Maybe it will bring the classic Disney 2D cell animation look back?

Old 10 October 2012   #9
Nice look!
I found the clip here: http://www.*********.com/features/p...n/#.UGwgGFG2CpE

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Originally Posted by DePaint: This link works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKl9mpGMCiA

Beautiful technology. Maybe it will bring the classic Disney 2D cell animation look back?

THAT software won't. At siggraph the developers clearly said they are throwing it out and making a new better version...but it could take years. The software was developed by a single phd brain at disney, it would seem obvious to me that they would throw more money at development once paperman wins awards.
The short was really something, and supposedly the 3d version is even better (or so the disney guys said).

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Wow, that's really beautiful

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Here is a question...does anyone know how to create a simliar look using today's tools? Any ideas?

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Originally Posted by AangtheAvatar: Here is a question...does anyone know how to create a simliar look using today's tools? Any ideas?

Well if I understood the presentation correctly, the point of the Paperman technology was to extract only the "consistency" of the 3D models.

So they have "Cylindrical Sectioning", "Silhouette Tracing", and then finally "Vector Blur Spacing". This allowed artists using drawing software to effectively "hand animate with ESP". Because you had flawless silhouettes, flawless surface change, perfect blurring, and you could basically draw "within that framework" and it would always work.

I do think this is a time-consuming method because it seems like you have to make the film twice at least. They do try to save time because it appears they morph to get the in-betweens.

I think.... if you have to do this with current tools, what you would want is to use Stylized Color Renders with Vector Blur (say: Black and White like in Paperman.. or hard 3-level shading like in anime).

Then render a second set of image sequences that are Shadeless and contain the elements individually with an Alpha Mask around them.

Maybe a third to try and extract Silhouette... might be possible with some node-based compositors.

The artist can then draw keys with select frames from the Shadeless sequence as visual aid.

Then finally you composite only the Line work with the exact Alpha region "cut-out" over the Color Render and somewhere there you insert the Silhouette layer. You could try morphing to get the in-betweens.

Now, the dilemma is that you will have complete image sequence of the Stylized Color Render, but much fewer hand drawn frames. The Alpha Masking should ensure that each Main Key is a perfect match.

The sacrifice is that if you take these frames and morph them for the in-betweens you will get 100% motion consistency but because you will be dropping some of the Stylized Color Render in-betweens (which were only useful to derive the motion blur). Those frames your 3D app did for the stylized Color Render with possibly higher fidelity blur (rather than morphed blur) become by-product waste.

But in my view this is necessary to make it appear the lines and the Stylized Color render are only one same native image. The morphing could do enough to preserve the motion blur. Maybe.

Should look similar, but that's just my guess.

P.S.: Even if this approximates the result, you won't be able to do some of the other things demonstrated in the video like altering hair motion in 2D view with some kind of activated bezier curves from custom vector drawing software.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 10 October 2012 at 12:14 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #14
Is anyone going to test this method?

I'd love to, but I'm kinda busy... and I fear there will be loss of relevance if any test is done after my schedule has opened up.

Cheers.

Old 10 October 2012   #15
Would love to see someone give the above method a try.

Thread Closed share thread