Portfolio advice: Build my own or use portfolio website?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
If you don't like blogs (I hate them) you can try Weebly and Webnode, both easy to create websites with templates and lots of customization....and free.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by AJ: I'd strongly advise using a template. Don't worry about standing out from the crowd...etc. Just make sure it's easy to see your work. From experience (and I am including myself here) most 3d/cg guys are absolutely awful at web-design and make terrible, terrible decisions with their websites.

I'm thinking making my website in style of Wolfenstein-3d, where my contact information is in one of secret rooms. How do you think is it a good idea? Also the game will be paid, so I can monetize it.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by mister3d: I'm thinking making my website in style of Wolfenstein-3d, where my contact information is in one of secret rooms. How do you think is it a good idea? Also the game will be paid, so I can monetize it.

Amazing idea, though I'd take it a step further and implement an insanely infuriating jumping puzzle to get to your demo reel.

But as far as others have said, definitely just keep it simple. If you are showing your work in a reel, make the reel the first thing someone sees when they go to your site. If it's a gallery, same thing. No reason to make someone click through four links to see your work. I'm always amazed at how many portfolio sites land me on a biography before the work. I really don't care if you dreamed of making movies since you were 7...

www.MichaelSime.com

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by Michael5188: Amazing idea, though I'd take it a step further and implement an insanely infuriating jumping puzzle to get to your demo reel.

That just brought back the memories.
I remember I made a level with nothing but explosive barrels. You had to shoot them to nudge your way through the path, any more than 2 shots per barrel and they all explode.

10 October 2012
All very useful tips. Though I am confused about one thing...whats the advantage of having a webhost with a wordpress template opposed to just using a free wordpress page at wordpress.com? Will there be no ads if you use a webhost? Wouldn't the webhost be forwarding information from my wordpress.com free blog, hence there would still be ads?

Seems for $18 a year with wordpress I can get my own domain (dont have that yet) and that would be the only charge if I wanted to use their free blog.

Basically Im trying to avoid ads and get the cheapest option available since I dont own my own domain yet.

Panupat mentioned hostgater.com which seemed the cheapest at $4 a month. Would I buy my own domain with wordpress, then use the host to store all my information and just use wordpress simply for a template THROUGH hostgator.com?

Sorry for all the questions! It's been forever since I've done this!

10 October 2012
You get to use your own domain name. Like my name. http://panupat-td.blogspot.com/ or panupat . com.

hmm for some reason my panupat dot com is forwarding you to some random site... it's just an empty domain name I registered long ago without using : / I'll have to check what happen.

Anyway, in addition to domain name, using web host service means you have lots of control over your web space. You can copy any files up there anyway you want, upload your own HTML, install anything as you wish not just wordpress, and hack the heck out of any codes. Also full control to your own database.

It opens up a whole other world for you. The world of web admin... If you're interested it can be fun

The way it works is like this.

You register a domain name. For example namecheap or godaddy.
Then you point your domain name to your web server. For example Hostgator.
Most hosts offer both in a bundle - register domain name and use their host all in one.
It's up to you if you want to keep them separate or not.
Most web admins I know like to keep their domains registered separately from the host. I prefer it that way too.

Last edited by Panupat : 10 October 2012 at 04:21 PM.

10 October 2012
I use indexhibit, I think it's clean & simple, great for demo reel and resume.

10 October 2012
I like how cargocollective.com looks and works. It's template based, and you can change things if you want. Support is very good. And I feel like it's more user friendly than similar services ( behance pro site, carbonmade...). Though it's 100% subjective thing I believe, so you won't know until you try it yourself.

You have free and paid service.
Free basic service includes:

Cloud hosting
12 Projects, 3 Pages (up to 100MB)
16 Cargo Designs
Edit CSS

Upgraded membership → $66/year or $9/month:

Unlimited Projects and Pages
6GB Storage
Unlimited bandwidth
Advanced Editing (Edit CSS, add HTML)
Custom URL
All Cargo Designs

10 October 2012
Big +1 for Carbonmade. It's simple, it's clean, and it requires no hosting.
LinkedIn

10 October 2012
Lots of pro-Wordpress love here. I've been thinking about changing my website over to something like Wordpress or build something in Dreamweaver for a while now, but have never got round to doing it. I've found Tumblr is good for blogging and with Blogger, I feel that you can manipulate the HTML to what you want, but have been told that Wordpress is the best of the bunch.

I think the main thing to remember (as I am know I am echoing advice here), is to make the work the centre of attention so surrounding the work with little to no clutter is important. Then, its just as important to put your best work in there and tailor the work to lure in the sort of commissions you want.

But having a website isn't enough and I think we have to work hard to get our individual art seen else where. The way I see it, is the website is the HQ to your own personal world, and your blogs, twitter and Facebook pages are embassies that point back to the HQ. Lots of metaphors can be used here, but best thing to do is not make the HQ hard to navigate as people like to click away.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by shrunkendesigner: Lots of metaphors can be used here, but best thing to do is not make the HQ hard to navigate as people like to click away.

That's a very important point, if someone reviewing your website has to click more than once to view a portfolio item, you are wasting their time. I see a lot of beginner portfolios make the mistake of doing this multi-page website filled with bullshit and text everywhere (my first few attempts made this mistake), no one cares. Just put a selection of your best work on a single page with links to higher resolution / videos, your demo reel and contact information.

11 November 2012
Using Website Templates for Portfolios

I'd say if you have never created a website before, use a template. The important thing is to keep it simple and display your best work. Also make sure the template is appropriate to what you are trying to do - show your portfolio. Personally, I like Behance online portfolios. These are templates specifically made to showcase creative work.

KL Baker
Regional Manager
iD Tech Camps, Inc. .

11 November 2012
I set up my site recently and found this thread helpful, so here are my two cents in case anyone finds them useful...

I've had a good experience with Behance so far. I played around with it while waiting to hear back about a Cargo Collective membership and was pretty happy with the results. After trying Cargo Collective, Behance seemed easier to use, so I decided to go for it when given the promo code for three months of free prosite membership. Not sure which one to go with long-term (basic cargo collective is free), but there are great sites on both services so the options and possibilities are good.

Definitely agree with the general consensus here that it is best to keep your site simple and focused. Less is more, especially when you don't really know what you're doing ( which was my case ).

11 November 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE3ThiP2UWU

Wix services are cheap, very easy to use, and you get the best quality sites. If you want, you can even try the full thing for free. 500mg of space with wix logo. If you like it you can purchase the host. Good luck and cheers.

Thread Closed share thread