Portfolio advice: Build my own or use portfolio website?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Portfolio advice: Build my own or use portfolio website?

Hey all. I'm in the process of putting together my first portfolio and I have a few questions, maybe someone could give me some advice!

Do you think it's better to make your own website portfolio using something like Dreamweaver rather than a pre-built portfolio website like Carbonmade? Do employers looking through portfolios keep that in mind?

Just trying to decide whether to learn Dreamweaver and create my own website opposed to using a template.

Thanks!

10 October 2012
Personally I think online blogs these days offer very good simplistic template very suitable for showing reels and arts. Besides, dreamweaver can create tons of unnecessary HTML code. So unless you're good with the coding side, I wouldn't recommend you dive into it.

10 October 2012
Don't waste your time unless you have a personal / financial interest in web development. Just install Wordpress on your web-host (usually an option in the CPanel once you log in), find a clean portfolio theme for free or no more than $30, then start adding your work. So long as the website is clean, has clear contact information and presents your work nicely with the ability to hard-link to any of your examples, you're good to go. Don't waste your efforts if it's not something that will add value to yourself.

Last edited by grantmoore3d : 10 October 2012 at 04:44 AM.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: Don't waste your time unless you have a personal / financial interest in web development. Just install Wordpress on your web-host (usually an option in the CPanel once you log in), find a clean portfolio theme for free or no more than $30, then start adding your work. So long as the website is clean, has clear contact information and presents your work nicely with the ability to hard-link to any of your examples, you're good to go. Don't waste your efforts if it's not something that will add value to yourself.

I agree with Grant here. Just install wp portfolio theme. The reason i choose this over portfolio sites is that you have more option on design...

10 October 2012
I wouldn't be opposed to a joomla or wordpress template, but if you have the ability to make your own site, I would do it. I went through the same thing and ended up making my own site in dreamweaver.

I'd say 90% of the time it dosen't matter, as long as you have somewhere to show your work, but sometimes the people making decisions aren't necessarily the most informed or knowledgable in the sense that they can separate good work form great work. (shitty producers...) In that 10% I think presentation is everything and will get you the job.

Here's my site. It's literally 1 big dreamweaver table
www.DarkHorseVFX.com

10 October 2012
I'd strongly advise using a template. Don't worry about standing out from the crowd...etc. Just make sure it's easy to see your work. From experience (and I am including myself here) most 3d/cg guys are absolutely awful at web-design and make terrible, terrible decisions with their websites.

10 October 2012
+1 for wordpress with disabled comments(to avoid spam). For videos I recommend Vimeo embedded on your page.

10 October 2012
Thanks for all the replies! Its been a big help. Think I will go the wordpress route. I started setting up a wordpress account at wordpress.com...then realized I'd have to pay to disable ads on my blog?

Someone mentioned above to install a wordpress theme on my webhost provider. It's been many years since I've had my own website (10 years to be exact) so I'm sort of out of the loop on where to start here. I wasn't aware I could install any theme through my provider. Can someone explain? Any good recommendations for a webhost?

Again, this has been a big help!

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by mobkon: Thanks for all the replies! Its been a big help. Think I will go the wordpress route. I started setting up a wordpress account at wordpress.com...then realized I'd have to pay to disable ads on my blog?

You'd be fine with the ads TBH, especially for 2D portfolios.
But if you really want to remove them, then yes, you have to pay, websites have to make money somehow

Quote: Someone mentioned above to install a wordpress theme on my webhost provider. It's been many years since I've had my own website (10 years to be exact) so I'm sort of out of the loop on where to start here. I wasn't aware I could install any theme through my provider. Can someone explain? Any good recommendations for a webhost?

Again, this has been a big help!

http://www.webfaction.com/
Easiest and best bang for buck host out there in the sub 100$ a year with click and play installation of WP (popular for Django too, but that's probably not of interest to you).

Or you could just buy a domain and a redirect service pointing it at your WP blog if all you want is a more recognizable domain leading to your page.

And one more vote for just using a well formatted pre-canned website, there is hardly any advantage to having more than that if all you want is a portfolio you can link around, and a lot of cost and effort involved for almost no return.
Just get some WP flavour, hosted or managed depending on your finances and inclination.

10 October 2012
Hmm, is there really any major advantage of paying the $9.50 a month opposed to using a free site like Carbonmade (up to 35 images free a month) since I won't be showing off even 35 images or videos.

I think something like a webhost w/ wordpress template is something that would suit my needs if I had a lot of pieces of work to show off, but I'm just starting.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d: Don't waste your efforts if it's not something that will add value to yourself.

That is very good advice

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by scrimski: +1 for wordpress with disabled comments(to avoid spam). For videos I recommend Vimeo embedded on your page.

It's probably more of an issue on higher traffic sites, but I've only had one spam comment get through Wordpress's spam filter.

10 October 2012
Wink ok

Originally Posted by mobkon: Hmm, is there really any major advantage of paying the $9.50 a month opposed to using a free site like Carbonmade (up to 35 images free a month) since I won't be showing off even 35 images or videos.

I think something like a webhost w/ wordpress template is something that would suit my needs if I had a lot of pieces of work to show off, but I'm just starting.

OK if you are starting, and OK if you are a starving artist. And OK if your work is good.

But in the long term, it would be nice:

a) have a yourname.com
b) wordpress site with portfolio theme.
b1) find the header image in the theme, replace it with something related to you!
c) disable the comment.

and it's not that expensive.

10 October 2012
If you want to use free service, I'd recommend something that tied to your usual account. For example, blogger if you use gmail. Blogger has pretty good clean theme... here's my empty blog I've never really used, but you get the idea
http://panupat-td.blogspot.com/

Wordpress also offers free blog on their site if you want to try it out. You can use it with your own domain name too for only $13 a year.
http://wordpress.com/

You only really have to pay if you want your own domain name. And for our purposes, I think a host as cheap as $4 a month is more than suffice. Host your video on Vimeo, that would cut down bandwidth usage on your site a significant amount.
http://hostgator.com/shared.shtml

Last edited by Panupat : 10 October 2012 at 10:31 AM.

10 October 2012
You could set-up a free alternative for the moment until you get your own set-up going.

As Panupat mentions, Blogger is a good start. If you have a Gmail account that is.

I'm currently using a blog as a temporary portfolio site. I'll probably end up going with my own site design at some point. But that is off in the future.

Blogger has a rather decent template, which I think is suitable for showing work. I can't remember the template name, but the style is 'Magazine'.

Here is what my site currently looks like; http://danielwray3d.blogspot.co.uk/?view=magazine

It is very important to note though with sites like the above that ordering your work isn't as flexible as a typical site. My blogger site is a work in progress, and I want to move images around, and remove some others. This means that I need to rearrange the whole site every time I want to insert an image further down the page though. A big problem!

Thread Closed share thread