CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
Zack Attack
Expert

Smile breaking the rules on freelance -bookings & holds

Hey all, I'm not gonna go to in depth but heres the jist, I am a junior freelancer nyc, and while it is rough out there, with tons of competition and little work to go around, I think I have been doing pretty well getting booked and what not. How ever I would really prefer a full time gig (dont we all), but with hiring process for full time I just been getting the run around, what with interviewing, doing in house test, them never getting back to you and then the same job posting pops up every few months again,

Currently, Im freelancing at a pretty well known ad agency for a few weeks then on 1st hold for a month. However I interview for a full time few weeks prior and the hiring manager just contacted me saying I might be there guy and there could possibly be an offer soon. So I guess my question would be would it be taboo to abandon (2 weeks notice) my booking or hold for a full time? Its a rather small industry and Id rather not burn any bridges, but in these times decent junior full time gigs are far and few between, but I would like to do whats in my best interest ...soo any suggestions?

Thanks and happy Sunday!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
Michael32766
Frequenter
mash
hey can you fix this?
Digital Migrant Worker, Mongolia

A "hold" is not binding in anyway. It's really just a polite agreement between you and the HR person. They are really just saying your on their short list. If another gig comes up for you the professional thing to do is call them up and say "Hey I got offer for a full time gig. Just wanted to let you know" or even let them make a counter offer.
I don't think they will be too upset if you left to take a full time job as long as you let them know whats up.
At the same time I'd keep quite until something is defiantly offered on paper.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #3
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Do whatever works best for you, the other company will be doing whatever is best for them. Unless its a repeat customer youve gotten to know and personally dont want to annoy them, dont worry about it too much. If anything, look for someone else whos free that could cover you. At least this way when you call to cancel, you can just give them the other guys name and they wont be too inconvenienced.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Wouldn't worry about the hold, the booking on the other hand I think is much more sensitive. I'm amazed you got a booking with more than 2 week's notice, that's pretty rare.

I'd do everything in my power not to break the booking, but as others have said in the end you have to look out for yourself. Look at the booking, if it's a week or 2 I can't imagine the studio hiring would be completely against bringing you in a bit later so you can follow through with your contract. But if it is a deal breaker, I suppose you have to cancel the booking. In that case definitely do as Imashination said and offer a replacement (someone of competitive skill)

But yeah as far as the hold, wouldn't worry about that.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 10-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #5
everlite
Expert

portfolio
David Edwards
Professional Matte painter & concept Artist
Freelance DMP / 3d Generalist
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via Yahoo to everlite

Do a search, there was a long discussion about this a few months ago.

If they ask to put you on hold; politely agree, then continue with life as normal, if something else comes by that's more attractive, then that "hold" means absolutely jack; take the new offer. Trust me, the people who put you on hold; would screw you over in a second if it works for them.

I've been working freelance very successfully for over 12 years, and honestly i find the whole Hold thing to be a cheap trick that has very little weight.

Don't take it seriously, it has as much weight as the client asking you to hold a Banana on your head while standing naked in a bird bath for a month while trying to convince you you're doing it for a good reason .. and more importantly; this is what everyone else does! so you need to do it too!!! ...

You might guess, i'm somewhat bitter and twisted about this subject lol

Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
Bullit
Expert

Yeah. And technically in professional world "hold" should mean we pay you something - less than work level -to be always available and if your are really good not work for competition, but that last part happens rarely in this area.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread