CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist
 
hypercube's Avatar
portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,050
LOOPER: Do I have to go back in time and start a review thread?



93% on RottenTomatoes: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/looper/

84 on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/looper

Will come back and clean this up with quotes in a few.

My own review:

F*CKING EXCELLENT. Tons of genre references and nods, while feeling very fresh and unique. Thoughtful use of time travel, doesn't get bogged down in explanations, but doesn't overcheat and makes sure you understand everything and sticks to its own rules. Great writing and characters. Ubiquitous future tech and well done visual effects, but doesn't dwell on any of it, which was again, refreshing.
 
Old 09-30-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
trevanian
Expert
Kevin H. Martin
freelance writer
USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 241
Thought the kid actor was phenomenal, but the film was just very inconsistent in tone and execution.

All these folks calling it a great action movie are way off, it doesn't work as an action movie at all, but all of the actions bits undercut the drama, because it is like BROKEN ARROW or M:I2 with the wholly unbelievable shootouts in which people miss miss miss ... until you get a sequence that plays like COMMANDO where there are no misses.

There's a lot of good stuff in the movie, but overall a disappointment. Not on the level of PROMETHEUS, or a MATRIX sequel, but when people mention 12 MONKEYS ... no comparison whatsoever.
__________________
"achievement is its own reward -- pride obscures it."

- Major Garland Briggs
TWIN PEAKS
 
Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist
 
hypercube's Avatar
portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,050
Weird, I had no issues with any of those things. I guess I just had different expectations. I also wasn't expecting an action movie, really, and wouldn't call it that. It's got action in it, but more on the detective story, thriller type level, short scenes of conflicts.

I actually felt the aiming and hitting was handled pretty well, people rarely hit anything in a gunfight, and the instances where they did, aiming or skill was implied. There were a lot of movie tropes involved, but it all felt fine to me, including when they bent a few rules.

Anyway, shrug.
 
Old 09-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
leif3d
Solving 9999 things a day
 
leif3d's Avatar
portfolio
Leif Pedersen
RenderMan Specialist
Pixar
San Francisco, USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,917
Loved it.
Twists and turns with breathing room for character development and drama. Some action sequences were a bit too much and some were masterful.
Overall a bit too graphic and violent, but it helped empathize with the characters a bit.
CG was hit and miss, but overall very good visuals.
Excellent flick.
__________________
LEIF3D.com
 
Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist
 
hypercube's Avatar
portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,050
VFXGuide article on Looper:


*MASSIVE COMPLETE SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE MOVIE IN THIS ARTICLE*


http://www.fxguide.com/featured/looper/
 
Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
angel
angel's not here man...
 
angel's Avatar
portfolio
Angel Nieves
3D Lead
MTM
Atlanta, USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,715
I thought it was a great scifi movie... not an action flick. IMO Joseph Gordon Levitt did a great job copying Willis facial expressions, I really enjoyed the film, some interesting concepts.
__________________
vertexangel.com/
twitter
 
Old 10-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Michael5188
another mime
 
Michael5188's Avatar
portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,767
Why don't they just time travel/teleport the person straight into the incinerator. What exactly is the point of a looper? (or time travel them to before dinosaurs, or any other uninhabitable time period)

Why does the looper have to finish his own loop, wouldn't it be easier, safer, and less-risky to just have someone else kill another looper's future self?

They talk about the rainmaker being horrible, and suddenly ending all the loopers. Don't the loopers end anyways, and if he was ending them early it couldn't have been by too much, since they were still pretty old when they came back. Also why is this so bad? We never hear of any truly horrible things the guy is doing other than uniting the gangs and ending loopers. Why am I supposed to think he's such a horrible villain? You never hear about him going around bursting innocent people. But sure, I guess I can just assume he was evil.

And finally, what's the goal of a mobster, to get rich right? If you had access to time travel wouldn't there be much much easier ways to get filthy rich and never have to deal with killing anyone? Or if your goal as a mobster is to gain power, again, wouldn't time travel really come in handy there? Seems odd to limit this incredible, really, mind blowing tech to simply body disposal.

Fun movie, but as full of logic holes as Prometheus was for me. What's up with these writers not asking any questions when they write a script? Heard this movie talked up so much, really let me down...

**oh, and is it just me or was the make up on young joe pretty bad? He looked like he had gone through bad plastic surgery, especially his eyes and eyebrows (which looked drawn on). He did such a good job acting as bruce, they should have just stuck with the nose and left it at that, I would have been convinced.
__________________
-Michael

www.MichaelSime.com
 
Old 10-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
BigPixolin
Banned
 
BigPixolin's Avatar
c none
US
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5188

And finally, what's the goal of a mobster, to get rich right? If you had access to time travel wouldn't there be much much easier ways to get filthy rich and never have to deal with killing anyone? Or if your goal as a mobster is to gain power, again, wouldn't time travel really come in handy there?


I want to see that movie.
 
Old 10-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
Artbot
Mostly Harmless
 
Artbot's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5188

And finally, what's the goal of a mobster, to get rich right? If you had access to time travel wouldn't there be much much easier ways to get filthy rich and never have to deal with killing anyone? Or if your goal as a mobster is to gain power, again, wouldn't time travel really come in handy there? Seems odd to limit this incredible, really, mind blowing tech to simply body disposal.

Fun movie, but as full of logic holes as Prometheus was for me. What's up with these writers not asking any questions when they write a script? Heard this movie talked up so much, really let me down...


I still want to see this, but this sounds like just another case of "dumb it down for the general audience who doesn't ask such complicated questions." I honestly think the general, non-sci-fi fan who sees a movie like this doesn't care about conundrums or causality. Those are just geeky things that slow a movie down.

But hey, we'll always have Primer.
__________________
www.artbot.com

 
Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 PM   #10
leif3d
Solving 9999 things a day
 
leif3d's Avatar
portfolio
Leif Pedersen
RenderMan Specialist
Pixar
San Francisco, USA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5188
Why don't they just time travel/teleport the person straight into the incinerator. What exactly is the point of a looper? (or time travel them to before dinosaurs, or any other uninhabitable time period)

Why does the looper have to finish his own loop, wouldn't it be easier, safer, and less-risky to just have someone else kill another looper's future self?

They talk about the rainmaker being horrible, and suddenly ending all the loopers. Don't the loopers end anyways, and if he was ending them early it couldn't have been by too much, since they were still pretty old when they came back. Also why is this so bad? We never hear of any truly horrible things the guy is doing other than uniting the gangs and ending loopers. Why am I supposed to think he's such a horrible villain? You never hear about him going around bursting innocent people. But sure, I guess I can just assume he was evil.

And finally, what's the goal of a mobster, to get rich right? If you had access to time travel wouldn't there be much much easier ways to get filthy rich and never have to deal with killing anyone? Or if your goal as a mobster is to gain power, again, wouldn't time travel really come in handy there? Seems odd to limit this incredible, really, mind blowing tech to simply body disposal.

Fun movie, but as full of logic holes as Prometheus was for me. What's up with these writers not asking any questions when they write a script? Heard this movie talked up so much, really let me down...

**oh, and is it just me or was the make up on young joe pretty bad? He looked like he had gone through bad plastic surgery, especially his eyes and eyebrows (which looked drawn on). He did such a good job acting as bruce, they should have just stuck with the nose and left it at that, I would have been convinced.

Such questions can be asked about the underlying concepts of all sci-fi films.
Of course you'll find ridiculous issues with the story, because the paradoxes of time travel are too great and unknown.
The purpose of a movie is to entertain, how can you entertain if everything is pure logic? If everything is expected and familiar? There's real life for that, or historically accurate movies.

-Why didn't the authorities just kill the nexus series in space instead of hiring blade runners?
-Why didn't Neo fly everywhere instead of fighting everyone?
-Why would HAL kill everyone on board?
-Why is there a little whole that can destroy the death star with one missile? Sure, let's put that in there, no one will ever know...
-Why do clowns wear funny long shoes and drive around in a ridiculously small vehicle? Try to find the logic in that...

None of those questions stopped me from enjoying those movies. Logic is an illusion in a sci-fi world, because the logic develops in the limits of the world. Sometimes these limits are fantastic and unbelievable, which is the whole purpose of science-fiction.
__________________
LEIF3D.com
 
Old 10-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist
 
hypercube's Avatar
portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,050
Yeah I really think this is one of those PKD-esque premises that completely unravels if you look at it logically..but as a puzzle created for a movie to solve, I thought it was really cool.


*Plot discussion

Also they do mention what else the Rainmaker had done / will do, it wasn't just loopers he was killing. But really Old Joe had become obsessed with killing him because he was directly responsible for killing his wife, and in the end that was all that mattered to him.

I actually thought the makeup worked fine, I forgot about it pretty quickly.

Just have to agree to disagree on this one, I think it is going to be one of those polarizing movies.
 
Old 10-01-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Artbot
Mostly Harmless
 
Artbot's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,122
I'd say the problem is less about logic than that bugaboo of sci-fi/fantasy movies: The Suspension of Disbelief. Some of the movies you listed offered reasons for the shortcomings your noted, some did not. But movies build their stories on their own logic, which is not necessarily "real world" logic. Where it comes apart is when an event occurs that appears to break the movie's own (fabricated) logic.

But time travel movies have their own special problems since it's 100% conjecture at this point. At least with spaceships or Mars bases or whatever, we have a starting point of reality to deviate from. This makes the premise of any tt movie sketchy since the viewer either buys into the conceit or they don't, since there's really no right or wrong. But once some conventions are established, the filmmakers are obligated to follow through on them with their established logic (whatever that is).

But overall, I think there's a pretty big lack of imagination on the studios' parts since they are unlikely to allow some thoughtful writer's "out there" ideas to make it a mainstream movie.
__________________
www.artbot.com

 
Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist
 
hypercube's Avatar
portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
I'd say the problem is less about logic than that bugaboo of sci-fi/fantasy movies: The Suspension of Disbelief. Some of the movies you listed offered reasons for the shortcomings your noted, some did not. But movies build their stories on their own logic, which is not necessarily "real world" logic. Where it comes apart is when an event occurs that appears to break the movie's own (fabricated) logic.

But time travel movies have their own special problems since it's 100% conjecture at this point. At least with spaceships or Mars bases or whatever, we have a starting point of reality to deviate from. This makes the premise of any tt movie sketchy since the viewer either buys into the conceit or they don't, since there's really no right or wrong. But once some conventions are established, the filmmakers are obligated to follow through on them with their established logic (whatever that is).

But overall, I think there's a pretty big lack of imagination on the studios' parts since they are unlikely to allow some thoughtful writer's "out there" ideas to make it a mainstream movie.


This isn't a mainstream movie by any means, IMO. It's very modestly budgeted, aside from having name actors in it, the rest is some mostly subtle VFX and that's about it. 99% of what drives it is characterization and dialog and emotions, and it's much more about the people involved than the fantastical events. I think it's the sort of movie that can only be made without studio interference, because it's too weird otherwise.

I felt it stayed internally consistent, though there are some potential paradoxes, the "rules" they establish for unraveling time or changing events rang true enough for me I was willing to keep my disbelief suspended.

But, if the main conceit/premise bothers you from minute 1, you're already incompatible with the movie, and it's just going to continue to bother you..so, it's really up to the viewer at that initial point.
 
Old 10-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
Dillster
Always Learning
 
Dillster's Avatar
portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,907
This is one film I am looking forward to. I think it hits Ireland this month.
__________________
I like to learn.
 
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #15
Michael5188
another mime
 
Michael5188's Avatar
portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by leif3d
Such questions can be asked about the underlying concepts of all sci-fi films.
Of course you'll find ridiculous issues with the story, because the paradoxes of time travel are too great and unknown.
The purpose of a movie is to entertain, how can you entertain if everything is pure logic? If everything is expected and familiar? There's real life for that, or historically accurate movies.

-Why didn't the authorities just kill the nexus series in space instead of hiring blade runners?
-Why didn't Neo fly everywhere instead of fighting everyone?
-Why would HAL kill everyone on board?
-Why is there a little whole that can destroy the death star with one missile? Sure, let's put that in there, no one will ever know...
-Why do clowns wear funny long shoes and drive around in a ridiculously small vehicle? Try to find the logic in that...

None of those questions stopped me from enjoying those movies. Logic is an illusion in a sci-fi world, because the logic develops in the limits of the world. Sometimes these limits are fantastic and unbelievable, which is the whole purpose of science-fiction.


First of all my problems with the movie had nothing to do with time paradoxes, so let's just leave out the time travely stuff. Second I'm telling you what bothered me in this film, citing examples of other movies is besides the point. (even though your example aren't the same as what I'm complaining about here, but I don't want to get into that)

I disagree, logic is vital to sci-fi, it's what makes it exciting and interesting. Without logic I can just throw ideas out without any thought and just ignore if it makes any sense. Truly great sci-fi holds up under scrutiny, it holds up under logic, and that's what makes the world feel real.

If those things didn't bother you that's fine, I'm not asking them to, but don't invalidate my opinion by saying logic only belongs in historical pieces or real life, cause that's just an insult to the genre of sci-fi. Logic has nothing to do with what is expected or familiar, really don't see how you do draw that connection.

To give an example of what I feel is solid recent sci-fi- Inception, for me, held up perfectly. I'm sure people had complaints, but I myself never found myself asking why they were doing what they were doing. So for me Inception was perfectly logical, and couldn't be further from expected or familiar or boring old real life.

As hypercube said, we;ll just have to agree to disagree. This is a movie review thread, so that's to be expected.
__________________
-Michael

www.MichaelSime.com

Last edited by Michael5188 : 10-02-2012 at 08:31 AM.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.