What photo viewing software do you use?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
What photo viewing software do you use?

I've finally given up on Adobe Bridge, it is just too slow as an image viewer. I've been trying out some ones that the internet recommended to me. Can I have 'your' wisdom is this area?

I'm looking for one that will show image thumbnails, a magnifier window and ideally a little slider that allows for the thumbnail size to be adjusted. So basically I am wanting Bridge but not as slow.

ACDsee - this seems to do it all really. But it costs around $80...

There are other free alternatives such as Irfanview, Faststone and Picasa but they don't really do it for me. Are there other ones that I am missing?

09 September 2012
I use xnview for 8 bit images and djv viewer for 32 bit images like exr.

http://www.xnview.com/
http://djv.sourceforge.net/

09 September 2012
Bridge has failed over and over as an image viewer, ESPECIALLY if you are doing do over a network. I have NO IDEA why it is so difficult for adobe to gett this right. I have even spent many hours with Adobe Gold Level support and its engineers on the issue and I have written it as a lost cause.

ACDSEE is a great viewer but recently I have been using Adobe Lightroom believe it or not for all my image viewing, tagging and cataloging. It even previews videos now. Buh Bye Bridge.

Other than that, you are looking at a custom option using webapp types.

Visual Engineering, Inc.
Creative Communication | Industry Consultation

09 September 2012
xnview here too. It is free and fast.

09 September 2012
Do any of these have an easy way to show alpha channel? I use Bridge, but it's annoying to look at a page of textures and not know instantly which ones have alpha.

09 September 2012
I personally quite like the space bar preview in Mac OSX

09 September 2012
I use bridge, it seems to be fine for me over the network. But I agree with Artbot, it'd be nice to have access to the RGBA channels and that type of info. My other gripe is that 32bit images come in showing the wrong gamma, never been able to figure out how to change it in Bridge, I'm guessing you can't. Most of our texturing is done with .tifs so many times I just use Windows to view things.

09 September 2012
I just had a fun thought...if you can just use the Nuke viewer as an image viewer but outside of nuke. With a folder structure and the ability to look at channels and render passes along with read-in options. Now that would be sweet.

09 September 2012
Xnview. Have been using it since the beginning.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by conbom: I personally quite like the space bar preview in Mac OSX

works with EXR/HDR too.

I use Bridge but I also use Phase One Media Pro (formerly iView/MS Expression Media) for project media management - it's great for coming back to stuff, rating, tagging and embedding metadata, etc. I use for photo selects all the time. It's not a folder browser though - I just use Bridge for that. I don't find it that bad and I use it with pretty large images (32/16-bit, print-res, etc).

09 September 2012
Shotwell works good for quick views, it displays the alpha as well.

- Jesus

09 September 2012
Here, for file management(general stuff) windows7 thumbnail system, for it's simplicity and integration with windows explorer(the preview disabled, it's crap).
then an old version of acdsee (3.1), (doble click an image file)
then xnview to complement,
then maxview when I need something frameless, toolbarless.

Always fancing in my mind, the perfect image viewer.. (someday..)

09 September 2012
Faststone and Irfanview are pretty good. The Faststone main site seems to be down right now for some reason though...

09 September 2012
Second Irfanview. And portable too - just copy the installation folder to you usb key/drive, Batch processing, full screen view mode, thumbnail browser, and all sorts of editing tools.
http://www.irfanview.net/

I have used it for 15 years now - and counting :-)

09 September 2012
Try Faststone Viewer. It is free and has absolutely no popup adverts or other advertising. Very fast in use, my Dad uses it all the time for his press photos, and he says it is popular with press shooters because of the speed and ease of use;

www.faststone.org

There are other free Faststone products also, it is the viewer you want. They also have a free resizer program that does cool stuff like watermarks. You could grab that while you are there.

Thread Closed share thread