Old 09-27-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
MsZippy
Veteran

portfolio
Kelley Grantham
High School 3D Animation Teacher
East Valley Institute of Technology
Tempe, USA

Send a message via ICQ to MsZippy Send a message via AIM to MsZippy Send a message via Yahoo to MsZippy
Teacher's question about Autodesk certification

I teach animation in a career training high school called East Valley Institute of Technology in Mesa AZ. Soon our state is going to require all high school career training programs to have some kind of official exam included as part of the requirements for completion and we were thinking of using the Autodesk Associate Certification exam for our program. We use both Maya and 3DSMax so we would probably offer certification in both. Does anyone have any thoughts about this certification? Would it be appropriate for a high school level program? Are there any other certifications out there that may be better? Do you know of any high schools or colleges that have incorporated this certification into their program? What are some potential problems? Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Kelley Grantham

EVIT Animation Instructor

Last edited by MsZippy : 09-27-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Stoehr
Expert

portfolio
Matthew L Stoehr
Professor & Dept. Chair
American River College, Art New Media
Sacramento, USA

I've considered this as well, at the community college level, and I'd say yes and no to Autodesk's certification program (the MEIS, I think it's called).

For the high school student, I believe you'll need to focus on modeling and texturing, first, then lighting and rendering. That's at least enough course work for an entire senior and junior years, and would properly prepare them for articulating with your colleges. You could refer to the MEIS Autodesk provides, but you'll need to assess your student population, and help them be successful at their level.

I've been writing curriculum for years, and have been in the classroom for over 10 years. I've compared my curriculum to private and public secondary schools, k-12, foreign programs, small and large businesses, and the needs of my community. I guess what I'm trying to articulate is that you may be better off designing your own certification after information interviewing your local secondary schools and local businesses. If you're in need of example curriculum, I'd be happy to help.

3D Models
@ Turbosquid

my Scripts

Old 09-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread