DanielWray
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Daniel Wray
Bsc Computer Animation & Digital SFX
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fablefox
What I don't like is the rocket flame. It look like a cylindrical fluorescent paper/plastic or something.

I agree with this. I think volumetrics could have been used here to a great effect. Although smoke, like seen with NASA launches, wouldn't have suited the type of rocket; it looks like a soviet-type design, which I believe would be liquid fuel.

Anyway, back on-topic, Blender has an awesome volumetrics system, and it works well with the internal rendering engine so I can only assume that time constraints meant a quick(er) method was required, both for set-up, rendering, and compositing.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #17
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWray
I agree with this. I think volumetrics could have been used here to a great effect. Although smoke, like seen with NASA launches, wouldn't have suited the type of rocket; it looks like a soviet-type design, which I believe would be liquid fuel.

Anyway, back on-topic, Blender has an awesome volumetrics system, and it works well with the internal rendering engine so I can only assume that time constraints meant a quick(er) method was required, both for set-up, rendering, and compositing.

Probably time-constraints was my guess as well. Might be one of those last minute additions/decisions to the edit to make the story better (astronaut vs robotics-engineer)

Old 09-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #18
Ciuccio
Veteran
portfolio
Giovanni
Palermo, Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFnord
Cringe! While there may have been some nice visual effects in there, as a whole, the movie IMHO was the worst OpenMovie yet (and after Sintel that's quite an achievement).

Agree...

Also, don't understood the issue with Blender UI, is a good UI, more flexible then modo and very well organized. I guess many want see in blender a Maya or 3dsm clone. Blender is not a clone, is another software, different, like is different Softimage or Cinema.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
BigPixolin
Banned

c none
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciuccio
Agree...

Also, don't understood the issue with Blender UI, is a good UI, more flexible then modo and very well organized. I guess many want see in blender a Maya or 3dsm clone. Blender is not a clone, is another software, different, like is different Softimage or Cinema.

Same I want it to be good, but it just isn't. It is like some cheap B movie made as a final project. Some effects were very good, most weren't up to par, others flat out bad like the girl stabbing the robot at the end, and giant robots jumping out the building right after just seemed off. Acting horrible, dialogue cheesy at times, story....what even happened?

Old 09-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
Ciuccio
Veteran
portfolio
Giovanni
Palermo, Italy

Agree with you about Tears of Steel, IMHO the top for blender foundation was Big Bug Bunny.

What I don't agree is about Blender GUI sentence in a previous post.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
Toonman2
Free Particle

portfolio
Sergio Muciño
Rigging Artist
Rodeo FX
Canada

I don't mean to derail the thread (I did like the project, in general), but from a UX perspective, Blender has the most horrible UI in any 3D app I've had to use. I'm not talking cosmetics here. I'm talking user experience. Blender is the only 3d app I've used that I can make completely unusable my accidentally mangling the UI to the point where my only choice is to close the app and re-open it (I'll give it that... Blender launches at amazing speeds!). I'm sure my lack of expertise is a big part of the problem, but for someone trying to take a look at a program to consider investing more time in it, having to fight against the UI is quite discouraging. And again, I'm not talking about learning where things are... I'm talking about the UI becoming a horrible mess and not being able to fix it!!
Anyway... That's my experience with it. I saw some little handles in panels yesterday that helped a bit, but it's still easy to screw up your workspace. My very personal $0.02
Back to your original programming....

Old 09-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #22
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

I really enjoyed it. I really liked the hyper colours of the holographics, and the production design in general.
The dodgiest shots were the ones at the end where he interacts with the robot...it would have been better to have a physical prop head, and CG the body, than to have him 'act' the interaction.

The story was also quite sweet. I wasn't expecting to see anything with any sort if emotional center, so was pleasantly surprised.

Overall, the artists should be proud if their work!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #23
grantmoore3d
Geek Extraordinaire

portfolio
Grant Moore
Creative Director
ComboMash Entertainment
Vancouver, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonman2
I don't mean to derail the thread (I did like the project, in general), but from a UX perspective, Blender has the most horrible UI in any 3D app I've had to use. I'm not talking cosmetics here. I'm talking user experience. Blender is the only 3d app I've used that I can make completely unusable my accidentally mangling the UI to the point where my only choice is to close the app and re-open it (I'll give it that... Blender launches at amazing speeds!). I'm sure my lack of expertise is a big part of the problem, but for someone trying to take a look at a program to consider investing more time in it, having to fight against the UI is quite discouraging. And again, I'm not talking about learning where things are... I'm talking about the UI becoming a horrible mess and not being able to fix it!!

May I ask how long you've used it for and how extensively? The reason I ask is because I've been learning Blender for the past few months and have recently switched to it as my primary application for client projects and had the same experience at first. However, once I got past the initial learning curve and discovered where everything was, my opinion completely changed. I actually really like the interface, a lot. There's no mess, you can open up a slice as you need it and change it to whatever you want... completely customization at any time. There's certainly room for improvement (Materials and Texture management, that's frustrating), but it's no better or worse when compared with most 3D applications I've used, just different. I'd say it just comes down to personal preference and the amount of time and effort invested in learning the application.

Interface aside, I think this film really proves that an open source piece of software, if combined with an appropriate budget and team size, could be a viable alternative to the industry standard software. Maybe not for the biggest studios that require a lot of in-house software, but for small to medium sized studios... I don't see a significant reason they couldn't use it.

Last edited by grantmoore3d : 09-27-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #24
CorsairX
Frequenter
Andrew
Queensland, Australia

One issue I think the open movies have had since day 1 is the ambition out-stripping the resources (particularly with Sintel). All the previous movies would have benefited from dialling back the number of scenes and polishing what remained.

I don't think was much fat to trim on this on though, just needed a bit more time - another month or two would have made a big difference. For example the CG extensions to the captains eye patch were added in the last 2 weeks before release.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #25
japetus
3D Trickster

portfolio
Mike Hanson
3D Artist
[:|] Straightface Studios
Seattle, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairX
One issue I think the open movies have had since day 1 is the ambition out-stripping the resources (particularly with Sintel). All the previous movies would have benefited from dialling back the number of scenes and polishing what remained.

I don't think was much fat to trim on this on though, just needed a bit more time - another month or two would have made a big difference. For example the CG extensions to the captains eye patch were added in the last 2 weeks before release.

2 Weeks isn't bad for someone who knows what they are doing. But I agree, some things could have had some more polish to them, especially those rocket flames.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #26
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWray

All they really needed was to add billowing smoke some "faint strobing" in the frame and some "heat distortion".

Clearly an unfinished effect.

However, the rest looks "good enough for TV". Which is very very very good.

I had the pleasure once of trading emails with Ton when we were talking about processes in film production and I am thoroughly impressed at how quickly "Tears of Steel" came together with an organized Pre-Production and testing period.

Very very good.

It is not fair to compare this with BBB as BBB is technically in a different genre (animation). The demands for realism there are not quite the same.

I'd like to think our film "REVERSION" gave a pretty good send-off for Blender 2.49b.... But "Tears of Steel" clearly shows the future of Blender as a total production system.

The UI? I share the opinion of others. It's all relativity. I love Blender's 3D cursor system, and enjoy the benefits that other users noted.

I once tried XSI on a Student Licence for a CG Challenge and the experience was wholly negative. I came to the conclusion that if one puts enough time into something they will learn it.

But for now, I'm happy with Blender.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #27
obiwandk
Frequenter
portfolio
leif larsen
non
farsø, Denmark

Send a message via MSN to obiwandk
I must say i enjoyed, it but i agree on bbb being a more fun.
But it is a huge progress, on the vfx part of production.
so maybe in a couple of months / years we see a much improved blender

Old 09-29-2012, 10:26 AM   #28
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

The most positive aspect of all that these projects help to develop the software and push it forward, also, with many of the developers actively working with the artists to see what works and what does not. It's a pleasure to watch all these projects from Elephants Dream to now and see what progress was made.

Old 09-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #29
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFnord
Cringe! While there may have been some nice visual effects in there, as a whole, the movie IMHO was the worst OpenMovie yet (and after Sintel that's quite an achievement).

Not sure if the short wasn't too bad, or you lowered my expectation lol. I think it's quite acceptable. Can pick up a few neat stuff.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #30
eliseu gouveia
Engine of Creation

Eliseu Gouveia
Comicbook Artist
Portugal

Goods job, guys, I think you proved Blender is ready for primetime.

IMHO.

Thread Closed share thread