Tears of Steel - Blender Foundation's fourth short Open Movie

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Tears of Steel - Blender Foundation's fourth short Open Movie

What, no thread about it yet? It's been out for two hours.

watch it on YouTube

or

visit the official website

09 September 2012
was the eye patch cgi ?

09 September 2012
Pretty good for a Blender production. Now if only I could get used to Blender's UI...

09 September 2012
Cringe! While there may have been some nice visual effects in there, as a whole, the movie IMHO was the worst OpenMovie yet (and after Sintel that's quite an achievement).

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by HFnord: Cringe! While there may have been some nice visual effects in there, as a whole, the movie IMHO was the worst OpenMovie yet (and after Sintel that's quite an achievement).

I don't think it was that bad.

Plus, its mainly designed to show off that Blender, in the right hands, can play with the big boys of 3D...

The story/acting et cetera are secondary concerns in this context.

09 September 2012
I disagree. If they release it as a Movie, not some tech demo, it should be able to withstand people watching it as such. And as a whole, as a Movie it is severely wanting. Again IMHO.

09 September 2012
It was interesting to watch. I've been to Amsterdam 3 time with my Dad and I recogniize some of those canals and bridges.

09 September 2012
As a film, i thought it was pretty good. The story had promise but failed to deliver in the end. Some of the comedy fell flat but there was a few memorable moments. Not a bad effort, all in all.

One thing i should mention, while it is a tech demo for blender, the filmmakers will be the first to agree that it is a film first, a showcase second. Everyone involved took this very seriously and tried to make the best film they could.

That being said, i'm hugely impressed with what the artists did with blender on this movie. The 3d tracking was tight, the masking looked good, many shots approached photorealism, lots of detail throughout.

Congratulations guys!

09 September 2012
Red face

Greatly enjoyed that!

I've seen some criticism of the story in a few places but I can't say I had a problem with it; beyond continuing what seems to be a BF tradition of open endings (I think so far only BBB had an actual start and finish!). Some good character beats.

A couple of minor crits; I thought the visuals and VFX were good, some really nice scenes and small details but a couple missed the mark (the initial rocket ignition for example). The animation of the bots was also a bit inconsistent. It was mentioned on the blog that the big cavern scenes were pushing the new rendering engine and I think that showed a little. All in all, good job!

Congrats to the team - a lot of hard work has paid off!

Edited to add: loved the credit scroll and the zing at the end

Last edited by CorsairX : 09 September 2012 at 02:31 AM.

09 September 2012
It was fantastic for it's intended purpose.

09 September 2012
Good effort, as a movie, the story itself felt incoherent from time to time, but the mood/emotion and the pacing was pretty good I thought. Three actors stood out, the main character (Derek de Lint) he is a seasoned actor though, the scientist with the broken glasses and the soldier on the roof.

Seen the amount of FX they put in, the overall quality was good, great in some spots, lacking in others. Overall I liked it, and it's awesome to see this can be done with Blender :-)

09 September 2012
That was the best ad I've seen for Blender, amazing.

09 September 2012
Hmmm, I thought the whole thing was really well done. I loved the junk approach and the story was a very nice self contained unit. There have to be some cliches in every tale otherwise there is nothing to cling to. I never get tired of the Dutch accent

I would like to see this one turned into a series.
Well done blender guys and gals.

Thumbs up from me.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by ice-boy: was the eye patch cgi ?

I believe that the main bulk of it was a physical prop; An old webcam, and some plastic. However the three cylindrical parts to the side of the main object, plus the hologram are all CGI items. It's very interesting to see how much they have added to scenes via object tracking, considering it is really a rather new addition.

Congratulations to all involved. A wonderful demonstration of an open-source pipeline.

09 September 2012
Wink

What I don't like is the rocket flame. It look like a cylindrical fluorescent paper/plastic or something.

Thread Closed share thread