Maya is not for me. Maybe Impossible?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
You should get the Maya Fundamentals DVD from 3dbuzz, I think you can do the first part of it free and it covers a bouncing ball project !

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_vi...b360a98d3af f7

09 September 2012
I would also suggest becoming more involved in the various CG forums, both here and elsewhere. Joining, posting once to gripe, and disappearing isn't very useful or instructive where complicated software like Maya is concerned.

09 September 2012
Don't forget Youtube, Youtube is your friend.

I just survived an 8.8 earthquake, that experience I'll take it to my grave.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by BeastlySerenity: It also was no longer fun for me to learn as well. It just seemed so complex and technical rather than artistic, it wasn't like learning photoshop at all.

For me that's an important factor. If it's not fun then you have less reason to stick with it. Some people enjoy technical challenges, others don't. I'd say don't force yourself to do something you don't enjoy as it's really only those who really take to a particular discipline that get good at it.

Life is short and fun is important

Cheers,
Brian

09 September 2012
I have a question.

What the hell are you guys doing in class? Isn't that the time you should be watching an instructor go through the program and how to do the assignment?

Either you're not paying attention and taking notes in class or this is the shittiest teacher/class/school imaginable.

09 September 2012
It took me around 10 years to be comfortable enough in maya that it went from being tedious to being (kinda) fun.
You always feel at the mercy of glitches or your ignorance but sometimes things run smoothly.
Its the learning curve that is a killer. But I wanted to have the creative freedom so I stuck with it.

I tried learning on my own and wasted months-then got Digital Tutors and a couple of books but I think videos are best.

09 September 2012
Have you asked your instructor for help? I'm assuming that the class, even online classes, have an instructor assigned. Has he (or she) been asked for help? Many times students, especially in online classes are reluctant to ask for help. That is why you are taking a class at a college, so you have access to an instructor to ask questions. Otherwise you might as well save your money and buy a bunch of learning DVDs as has been suggested here.
Santa Clarita, CA

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Artbot: I would also suggest becoming more involved in the various CG forums, both here and elsewhere. Joining, posting once to gripe, and disappearing isn't very useful or instructive where complicated software like Maya is concerned.

I do get the feeling this is one of those hit-and-run threads.

I'm going to close this. If the original poster ever comes back, he can message me and I'll re-open it.

Thread Closed share thread