How do I create a smaller image without losing quality?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
How do I create a smaller image without losing quality?

For instance, I'm creating a 12x12 image for a tshirt contest in photoshop, but I need to submit a much smaller thumbnail. How do I go about this without losing quality?

09 September 2012
Use the `Save for web`function and try out different compressions.

09 September 2012
12x12 is like nothing. You will have a hard time getting a meaningful icon just from resampling an image.
Anyway, you can try resizing in steps, like from 2000x2000 to 500x500 to 100x100 to 12x12.
And/or use the "smart sharpen" filter on the final resolution image.
It may result in better definition than just using save for web with "sharpen" resampling.

09 September 2012
How small (in pixels) does the thumbnail need to be, and in what format? Saving as a PNG may be the best option, if it is acceptable format for the contest. The "save for web & devices" option in PS is a good one as you can use the % slider to adjust the quality and file size and visually see the effect on your image.

09 September 2012
Some manual corrections are mostly necessary for good thumbnails. Slight sharpening might also help sometimes. And very large pictures need mostly a tad more contrast when downsizing them to very small formats.

09 September 2012
If it's a t-shirt contest, I'm assuming he means 12"x12", not 12x12 pixels.

Also don't forget about the resize method option, I like to use BiCubic(Sharper) for resizing in photoshop, and I do agree sizing down in steps and adjusting contrast and sharpness along the way can sometimes help if there's a large difference in sizes.

It really depends on your image, too..if it's a ton of fine detail that can only just barely be read full size, sometimes it just will turn to mush in a thumbnail. Them's the breaks.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by CMH09: For instance, I'm creating a 12x12 image for a tshirt contest in photoshop, but I need to submit a much smaller thumbnail. How do I go about this without losing quality?

You could download the trial version of Adobe Fireworks and see if that does the trick...

Put the image on a blank canvas, in Fireworks scale it down to thumbnail size using numeric scaling controls, then use Fireworks' JPEG export features to create a small thumbnail.

Another application that scales images down pretty well is the open-source DTP software "Scribus".

http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

Open an empty document in Scribus, place an Image box on it, load your design into the image box, then scale the image box down, and select "Fit image to box" (its called something like that... I don't have Scribus open right now).

Now do a Print Preview of the document, and if the thumbnail looks right, take a screenshot using the PrtSc button on your keyboard.

I hope this helps...

DePaint

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread