lighters - no respect?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Panupat: Sounds similar to what my (almost) client told me once...

“Why so expensive? All you have to do is place furniture and thrown in some light”

Architectural presentation job that was.

you dont have that new "make scene" feature? Maya 2152 has it.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by DePaint: A lighter/shader person in CG is, to my mind, almost like a Cinematographer/Director of Photography in Film Production. Because both build the overall look, feel, ambience of a scene.

Amen to that... and can I add that Lighters are also have to have a detailed understanding of shaders and textures and the compositing stage, so they also plug in across many disciplines in a pipeline.

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Last edited by vfx : 09 September 2012 at 04:01 PM.

09 September 2012
Great read

This thread was a good read this evening. Lighting is such a large area of expertise and many other diciplines in 3D are needed while you begin your career. So its no wonder why the lighters are jack of all trades in many shops and studios. And dont forget all those who are also photographers. Lighting is truly "art" just as modeling is truly sculpture. Glad to hear all these interesting opinions.

09 September 2012
Nah man

Your colleague needs a smack.

09 September 2012
solid role

I'm a lighter too. There's a tonne of theory applied every time I do a setup. Also, when someone sucks at lighting, it shows. Lighting is the difference between nice/terrible art. It takes a lot of RnD, even when you know exactly what you're doing in a scene, you have to test a lot. sometimes you have to make a lighting setup before you're given the geometry to do so, this usually means you have to model quick assets as place holders, you do it so fast you are probably faster at modelling than most modellers, you have to mess with a lot of shaders too. Anyone who thinks lighters are low-end probably just sucks at lighting on account of having never really done any decent rendering.

we have the ability to make a couple poly-Cube primitives look DAMN GOOD!!!

09 September 2012
As a generalist all i can say is that lighting most of the times save any crappy job i did earlier on the pipeline. So cheers to lighting.

09 September 2012
what?! what a ridiculous question.

Are you kidding me? This guy is obviously full of himself. CG is a team sport - can't have 1 department placed over the other, otherwise the whole thing falls apart. Or just looks shitty - and then what was the point.

At my animation studio - Animators and Lighters are considered the rockstars of the studio. They get the better schedules. I'm a shading artist and I'm pretty proud of my own personal role in contributing, but as my previous work as a lighter, I can also say that lighting makes or breaks a piece. Especially now that the quality of vfx and animation work around the world has gotten so high. We are artists. Everyone appreciates a gorgeous still image as much an animated moving image. Even good black and white takes some skill and a painter's eye for light and shadow.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by patrickrowan: ha ha ha so the whole pipeline simplified

modeller - create box,add edge loop, extrude, move vert and repeat
rigger - click run on autorig script
texture - cg textures
shaders - add maps, tweek ior and roughness
lighting - add hdri, move key light, click render
comp - merge layers, add lens flare, grade cyan

job done (maybe im a little bored waiting on renders)

ahaha! that was good man.

09 September 2012
Here's a classic example of good lighting with crappy modeling, texturing, rigging, and animation.

GOING TO THE STORE
Linkedin
"You do modeling? ...but you're too ugly."

09 September 2012
Haha that video was a great example, I'd never seen it. Oh and yeah your colleague is probably just young and a bit narcissistic if I had to guess. But no matter, rest assured lighting is very important, as are all pieces of a pipeline.

09 September 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread