New Hobbit Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #16
Just saw it and I think it's looking great. It does, as Nick above me pointed out, look very clean and saturated but The Hobbit is much more of a children's story than LOTR, so I'm not surprised. I grew to intensely dislike the humour that Jackson put in the LOTR trilogy but I think it works here because, again, this is much more of a family film.

Gollum has clearly been redone and I think he looks superb so far. No sign of Smaug, although somehow I knew that'd be the case.

Old 09 September 2012   #17
Originally Posted by leigh: ...The Hobbit is much more of a children's story than LOTR...
...this is much more of a family film.

I think thats pretty much exactly what I have to come to terms with. I'd love a slightly more grounded and natural Hobbit to tie in with LOTR, but somehow it does capture more of a childrens book feel with the direction its gone, so I can't honestly say its a bad decision. And Weta look to be pulling out all the stops here, at least its almost a given that the vfx work is going to be some of the best to date.

Old 09 September 2012   #18
Look like we've lost the honest low-key tone of the book... no choice really as it is a blockbuster movie after all. Hopefully they've put the worst jokes in the trailer. "You've got to be joking" indeed!

Not sure of Gollum facial expression at 1min 42sec. Suit more a giggly teenage girl than a troglodyte.

Radagast the Brown on a sleigh pulled by giant rabbits... hum... Peter, what have you done?! Narnia?

Old 09 September 2012   #19
Looks alright...nothing to get excited about. I've been nervous about this movie(s) since the first trailer. I have a sense that Jackson and co. have tweeked the story too much, and not for the better.

Old 09 September 2012   #20
I guess I'll be the contrarian. I just saw it and it gave me chills. The first trailer to do so in a couple years. I'm ready!

Old 09 September 2012   #21
I thought I wouldn't care, having seen plenty of Middle Earth already, but I'm actually pumped for this.

Old 09 September 2012   #22
Visually the trailer lets me want to have more . Storywise I am not so sure, but it is very hard to judge from a trailer.

But what I really hope, is that the used music isn't the one used in the final film. Right now the music just feels like your typical trailer soundtrack, and I dearly hope that is just the case here.

Old 09 September 2012   #23
After seeing that I am ready for adventure!

Old 09 September 2012   #24
On the one hand, I thought the trailer looked great ...

... on the other hand, this film is entering the great history of films known as 'Prequels'.

Some other 'Prequels' off the top of my head include:

Star Wars 1-3
The Young Indiana Jones
The Thing (2012)
Hannibal Rising, and
Prometheus

I have a bad feeling about this ...

But I'm still gonna see it anyway!

Old 09 September 2012   #25
Originally Posted by Vollands: On the one hand, I thought the trailer looked great ...

... on the other hand, this film is entering the great history of films known as 'Prequels'.

Star Wars 1-3
The Young Indiana Jones
The Thing (2012)
Hannibal Rising, and
Prometheus

One thing differentiates it from those movies however. Jackson and LOTR won a best picture. Would the Harry Potter, star Trek, and Batman movies be prequels? And are you not counting them because of different directors?

Last edited by MrPositive : 10 October 2012 at 08:43 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #26
Originally Posted by Vollands: On the one hand, I thought the trailer looked great ...

Star Wars 1-3
The Young Indiana Jones
The Thing (2012)
Hannibal Rising, and
Prometheus

Ummm, you do realise that The Hobbit is actually based on a book, and it was written before the LOTR books, right? The examples you're giving were all written after the originals with the sole purpose of cashing in on an existing name. The same is not true of The Hobbit, as The Hobbit predates LOTR. It's therefore not a hastily-written, slapped together piece of godawful trash like the Star Wars prequels.

Old 09 September 2012   #27
I have largely been underwhelmed by the LOTR universe/story/world, and I feel even more so por the Hobbit (having seen just the trailer). I'm not bashing it, it's just not my cup of tea. But, (there's always a but) Gollum back on the big screen really makes me doubt if I'll check this one out on the movies. I know maybe it's not reason enough to watch a movie, but I still remember the impression I got from Gollum in LOTR2. The scene where the two personalities of Gollum are strugling with each other has to be, hands down, one of the best acted, written and directed scenes ever. So yeah, not really interested in the movie as a whole, but this character is one I feel very compelled to watch anywhere.

Old 09 September 2012   #28
Originally Posted by JWRodegher: So yeah, not really interested in the movie as a whole, but this character is one I feel very compelled to watch anywhere.

If they keep to the story of the book, the scenes with gollum will be only a few.

Old 09 September 2012   #29
Quote: Ummm, you do realise that The Hobbit is actually based on a book, and it was written before the LOTR books, right?

I have to be honest and say my general knowledge of Tolkien is from the films only (though I did read the Hobbit when I was a kid).

Didn't mean to offend anyone, just the the 'Prequel' connection came up in conversation recently and I thought it was interesting.

Old 09 September 2012   #30
I am still in shock that the Hobbit is actualy comming out. If you recall many years ago about the time the the Fellowship of the Ring came out, it was almost set in stone that the hobbit would never come to the big screen for whatever reasons. Now here we are some 11 years later with the hobbit.

Thread Closed share thread