I can't decide from modeling or animation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
I can't decide from modeling or animation

Hey guys, i really need some advice from you guys.

From the last 2 and half years, i have been learning both modeling and animation. First i started to model then started to learn rigging and animation.

Both thing i really enjoy, but mostly animation. I really like modeling, especially in Zbrush, even is damn hard program, i like doing something inside, especially hard surface things.

But the most thing i am freaking out is, dealing with Uv's, it's so boring.

But for animation, i can't tell much, because i am doing this for couple of months, and i really like it. But i hate that, there isn't much tutorials for animation, only from DT, same thing they release very month, nothing new.

But, as animator, do i need to know rigging? I am afraid that coding isn't my side. I live that for programmers

So guys, what it's your advice?

Old 09 September 2012   #2
Anyone Pls?

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Its your decision. What do you enjoy more? Modeling or animating? How good are you at modeling, and how good at animation? Which would you rather do every day in a paid 9 to 5 job? Which would you spend the next few years learning more about? (to get even better at it).

Of course there are also many smaller CG jobs where they want a 3D generalist who pretty much does everything.

You'd model, texture, light, shade, rig/animate, simulate, render, composite everything yourself.

At the end of the day, you have to make the choice what you want to specialize in.

Maybe you can specialize in both modeling and animating?

That way, if there are no animation jobs open, you can work as a modeler. Or if there are no modeling jobs open, you can apply as an animator.

That's better in my view than being a "one-trick pony" who can only do 1 CG task well.

And if there are no jobs for that 1 CG task, then, well, you go hungry...

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Do whichever one you enjoy the most.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Seems like you enjoy animating. If you think you have the potential to be really good at it, then pick animation. You don't need to know coding/rigging to be an animator. Just find a rig online and animate it. That's all the studios care about.

But yeah, whichever you pick, just remember you have to do a lot of it, so you have to be able to enjoy doing it.

Last edited by sonn : 09 September 2012 at 02:59 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
I do think that it's beneficial for an animator to have at least some basic understanding of rigging though. Sure, they don't need to be experts on the subject, but since riggers and animators tend to work quite closely together in production, it helps for them to have some knowledge of how the other one works.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Agreed, a basic understanding of what everyone does is essential, between animators/modelers/riggers/etc.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Originally Posted by Zizhy: ......But the most thing i am freaking out is, dealing with Uv's, it's so boring...........

Most of us would probably agree with you on that. Try turning up the music, I find it helps relieve the boredom when doing UV's.

Old 09 September 2012   #9
Originally Posted by Dillster: Most of us would probably agree with you on that. Try turning up the music, I find it helps relieve the boredom when doing UV's.

It's not too bad with tools like UVLayout or UVMaster. Also, with PTex increasingly used in pipelines, it's often not necessary.

Old 09 September 2012   #10
Originally Posted by Meloncov: It's not too bad with tools like UVLayout or UVMaster. Also, with PTex increasingly used in pipelines, it's often not necessary.

Yes, i was going to suggest UVLayout. It takes me a few minutes to map the most complex objects.

Old 09 September 2012   #11
@All
I am so sick with all this threads, trying someone to find solutions for personal finding, from others (even from moderators looking for advice).
I get drunk pretty often, and this is one of the reason.
Stop patheticing!

@Zizhy
So, you're 2,5 years in the buisness, and I can't even look at your portfolio, and see what you're capable about, and you're looking for a advice from me? How can I give you advice if I can't view your portfolio?
So, stop anyone else time, start work... show work.. improve work.. show work.. and, while in you're in middle of improving your portfolio, someone's gonna ask you for work... that's, how it is.

Last edited by d4rk3lf : 09 September 2012 at 01:15 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #12
Originally Posted by Angie-Reiserer: Yes, i was going to suggest UVLayout. It takes me a few minutes to map the most complex objects.

Either I'm not using UVLayout correctly or you and I have very different ideas about what constitutes "the most complex objects".

UVLayout is hugely faster than Maya, but I've still had particularly nasty unwraps take a few hours to finish. Especially if it's important to maintain nice, ninety-degree angles in the UVs.

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf: @All
I am so sick with all this threads, trying someone to find solutions for personal finding, from others (even from moderators looking for advice).
I get drunk pretty often, and this is one of the reason.
Stop patheticing!

@Zizhy
So, you're 2,5 years in the buisness, and I can't even look at your portfolio, and see what you're capable about, and you're looking for a advice from me? How can I give you advice if I can't view your portfolio?
So, stop anyone else time, start work... show work.. improve work.. show work.. and, while in you're in middle of improving your portfolio, someone's gonna ask you for work... that's, how it is.

Post of the week right there. On the mark, and funny to boot.

Old 09 September 2012   #14
Originally Posted by Zizhy: Hey guys, i really need some advice from you guys.

From the last 2 and half years, i have been learning both modeling and animation. First i started to model then started to learn rigging and animation.

Both thing i really enjoy, but mostly animation. I really like modeling, especially in Zbrush, even is damn hard program, i like doing something inside, especially hard surface things.

But the most thing i am freaking out is, dealing with Uv's, it's so boring.

But for animation, i can't tell much, because i am doing this for couple of months, and i really like it. But i hate that, there isn't much tutorials for animation, only from DT, same thing they release very month, nothing new.

But, as animator, do i need to know rigging? I am afraid that coding isn't my side. I live that for programmers

So guys, what it's your advice?

You say UV its boring, maybe, but UV is a fast process (when not organic), then the magic comes.
Had you trying with mel o python? maybe its boring too when you need it for a rig.

Maybe you need think in a generalist way.

MODELING
Modeling, sculpting, uv, texturing, illumination, render. <---- (my way)

ANIMATION
Rigging, 3D animation, motion graphics, VFX, motion capture?? tracking?

For example, in my situation, i think in the future, not in my actual skills, i know in the future i will do a few more task that now.

Old 09 September 2012   #15
Hard-surface modeling is a bit easier than organic modeling. both organic modeling and animation will require learning a lot to get good results. I even think animation may be even more time-consuming. First, set your goals in this career, what is your goal? Why do you want to work in this field? If money, then hard-surface modeling will be a bit easier to get into, as you don't need artistic education for it. You can model cars from blueprints and so on. With characters, good luck without good knowledge, and animation is the same.

Pick hard-surface modeling. If something goes wrong, you can blame me.

Thread Closed share thread