Resident Evil: Retribution Opens to $71.1M Worldwide

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #46
Originally Posted by CB_3D: I saw the original ALIEN first when I was 13 or so. Ripley could have been my mother, easily, but this young teen found her to be a very sexy woman and interesting person.

I think we can all agree that Ripley just totally and utterly kicks ass. I think she's a great example of a character that both males and females would probably feel equally drawn to and inspired by. She displays some traditional societal feminine traits such as fulfilling a motherly role in Aliens, but she also displays traditional societal masculine traits with her combat skills, determination and inventiveness.

I wish we had more characters like her. She bucks the trend and is so successful at it.

Old 09 September 2012   #47
Originally Posted by leigh: I think we can all agree that Ripley just totally and utterly kicks ass. I think she's a great example of a character that both males and females would probably feel equally drawn to and inspired by. She displays some traditional societal feminine traits such as fulfilling a motherly role in Aliens, but she also displays traditional societal masculine traits with her combat skills, determination and inventiveness.

I wish we had more characters like her. She bucks the trend and is so successful at it.

Totally agree here. I think that one of the big differences with her character, against today's more popular female-led action films, is that Ripley displayed FEAR. Which would be, I think, the natural reaction from someone being chased by a 14-feet acid-filled bunch of teeth and claws that seems to like you a lot. Ripley was not a badass to start with. She had to turn herself into one, unwillingly, and she paid a high price for it. I guess you could say the Sarah Connor character display the same kind of personal evolution. This makes you connect more with the character, because honestly, anyone that thinks they'd just kick butt if an alien or a robot from the future showed up to kill them is jut living in fantasy land.
Today, a lot of action roles (both male and female) just act super cool in the face of no matter what, with plenty of ammo to spare. Not much to relate to there, IMO...

Old 09 September 2012   #48
I think Uma Thurman in the Kill Bill Volumes would also fit that spec. And although i will probably get laughed at, i thought the girl in the Hunger Games was good too (obviously not on the same scale but i thought she was decent ).

Also Sarah Connor, but after T1 is full on military mode and less your average girl/mother.

Last edited by Phrenzy84 : 09 September 2012 at 05:16 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #49
Originally Posted by Toonman2: Totally agree here. I think that one of the big differences with her character, against today's more popular female-led action films, is that Ripley displayed FEAR. Which would be, I think, the natural reaction from someone being chased by a 14-feet acid-filled bunch of teeth and claws that seems to like you a lot. Ripley was not a badass to start with. She had to turn herself into one, unwillingly, and she paid a high price for it.

That's a really good point. Her fear no doubt makes her much easier to relate to, since she embodies how we'd imagine ourselves in the same situation. It's the kind of great character writing that's become rather rare in Hollywood, especially blockbuster action/sci-fi films.

Old 09 September 2012   #50
Originally Posted by leigh: Loads of male leads are unattractive yet popular, ranging from the likes of John Candy, Bill Murray and Chevy Chase when I was a kid to Seth Rogan and Jonah Hill. How many unattractive and/or fat female actors have enjoyed as much success as unattractive, fat male actors? Not nearly as many.

That's just because women are not as funny as men. Those examples you posted were popular because they were funny(Jonah Hill excluded). Don't really think that's man vs woman issue.

If you think of some of the really funny women, they do get lead roles, regardless of their looks.

Old 09 September 2012   #51
Originally Posted by th3ta: That's just because women are not as funny as men.

That's another gender, not sex issue.

Old 09 September 2012   #52
Originally Posted by th3ta: That's just because women are not as funny as men.

Aw come on. Have you never seen a woman park her car in a tight space? It´s hilarious.

And thus the bottom of this thread has been touched, LOL.

Old 09 September 2012   #53
Originally Posted by CB_3D: Aw come on. Have you never seen a woman park her car in a tight space? It´s hilarious.

And thus the bottom of this thread has been touched, LOL.

actually, that was its peak.

Old 09 September 2012   #54
Wanda Sykes' agent needs to score her a lead role in a monster action movie stat.

Old 09 September 2012   #55
Originally Posted by leigh: Then you must be very young indeed.

17 last March. Got my first car the same week and was mugged for €2,580 for insurance, which means I must be adult enough.

Old 09 September 2012   #56
Originally Posted by Phrenzy84: I think Uma Thurman in the Kill Bill Volumes would also fit that spec. And although i will probably get laughed at, i thought the girl in the Hunger Games was good too (obviously not on the same scale but i thought she was decent).

Yes I think so on both. Uma was good in KB, she showed an underlying simmering and focussed determination for revenge which was very skillfully done.
The Hunger Games girl transition from an average country into warrior was nicely done too. It will be interesting to see how much further she develops this in the next films. I haven't read the books, but I am guessing she will continue to develop as a warrior and into a leader of sorts.

Old 09 September 2012   #57
Originally Posted by Toonman2: Totally agree here. I think that one of the big differences with her character, against today's more popular female-led action films, is that Ripley displayed FEAR.

For men too. That was one of the things that made Rocky special. That last night, admitting that he couldn't win catapulted the movie above the typical fearless action flick.

I don't think the male/female problem is really as technical and scientifically marketing driven as Evolucian implies in his post.The great action stars of the late 70s, early 80s defined action summer blockbusters as we know them through their own push and power. Starting with Bruce Lee, they created a superhero version of themselves and got a string of movies tailor made to -their- character. Stallone wrote his own scripts, Seagal's original movie was claimed to be semi-autobiographical, Schwarzenegger audited all his scripts after T1, van Damme redefined martial arts sequences with his own ballet/gymnastic style.

The only real exception was Bruce Willis but that's just an anomaly produced by massive acting talent, like Ripley.

So the problem is that there are not enough women who want to be an action hero and build their every skill and ability to that purpose. One of the few who did, Michelle Yeoh, absolutely triumphed.

It seems that most women who get the chance to do anything they like in Hollywood prefer to make movies "with meaning" and so end up producing stuff like "Lost in Translation" or "BF Greek wedding" instead of mindless action movies.

EDIT: PS, I just have to add that Milla Jovovitch(sp?) is one of those few who has powered herself into a pure action hero status and I find it infuriatingly unfair that her credit is watered down just because she's beautiful.

Last edited by lironmiron : 09 September 2012 at 06:31 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #58
Timothy Dalton also portrayed a James Bond not immune to fear.

Thing is, it´s been decades since the advent of the first lead action heroines on the silver screen.
Some worked because they were pretty/sexy/curvaceous/bodaceous.
Others worked because they were fine actresses.
some because they had a good script.
Or a good director.
Or people came to see the monsters they fought.
Or.
Or.
it doesn´t matter what excuse was used to channel people to the theatre.
What matters is that it worked.
Masses flocked to the theatres where they were treated to action heroines in lead roles and, to everyone´s disbelief, they didn´t die in horror from it.

You can have profitable female lead action movies.

Old 09 September 2012   #59
Originally Posted by lironmiron: EDIT: PS, I just have to add that Milla Jovovitch(sp?) is one of those few who has powered herself into a pure action hero status and I find it infuriatingly unfair that her credit is watered down just because she's beautiful.

i prefer Kate Beckinsale myself, so i can tell you right now her acting and her good looks have little to do with each other when film or acting performance reviews come around.

Old 09 September 2012   #60
watched it. worst movie I've seen in a while.
and there will probably another one (again) which is even worse.

Website

Facebook

DeviantART

Thread Closed share thread