Resident Evil: Retribution Opens to $71.1M Worldwide

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Resident Evil: Retribution Opens to $71.1M Worldwide

WTH....

Quote:
"The ComingSoon.net Box Office Report has been updated with studio estimates for the weekend. Click here for the full box office estimates of the top 12 films and then check back on Monday for the final figures based on actual box office.

Milla Jovovich returned as Alice in
Resident Evil: Retribution and the fifth installment topped the domestic box office with an estimated $21.1 million. The Screen Gems release opened in 3,012 theaters and averaged $7,005 per site. Made for $65 million, the movie earned another $50 million overseas from 50 territories for a worldwide total of $71.1 million. The previous film, Resident Evil: Afterlife, took in $26.7 million domestically and $39 million internationally its first weekend. IMAX theaters accounted for $6.1 million of "Retribution's" total worldwide with $3 million coming from domestic locations and $3.1 million from overseas."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movi...94855&offset=10
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

09 September 2012
Wink gun babe sells

Gun Babe sells.

And I'm sure including Li Bing Bing (?) helps Asean market. She was here in Malaysia to promote the film.

I guess there will be more RE to come.

09 September 2012
The "female-lead action movies donīt sell" camp is running out of excuses.

09 September 2012
I am amazed it even scored that high with this being like the fifth installment of the series. When did zombies grow worms in their mouths as extra mandibles?

Great Ideas be praised.

09 September 2012
Its not an action film in the same vein as a Bruce Willis or Steven Seagal movie where the action lead is almost the entire draw. I think they tried that with Long Kiss Goodnight and Cutthroat Island but havent really made an effort since.
This is more like an Alien movie but with a more obvious t and a element.

09 September 2012
No accounting for taste I guess...

09 September 2012
Not much else available for the same market audience I would suspect.
www.perryshulakcreative.com

09 September 2012
The RE movies are a guilty pleasure of mine. Sure they are corny as hell, but for a night of beer and popcorn, they are actually pretty good.

I've never seen one in the cinema, but I own all the movies on DVD (not so much a BluRay purchase), and will probably add this one to my collection.

I find it really interesting how each film is essentially a take on a different genre, from the Haunted House, to the Post Apocalypse zombie films.

09 September 2012
Didn't see this one coming.
I was dead sure this was going to flop bigtime.
What i can say for sure after this, is that i definitely don't know the world i live in.

09 September 2012
Unhappy interesting

Originally Posted by kelgy: Its not an action film in the same vein as a Bruce Willis or Steven Seagal movie where the action lead is almost the entire draw. I think they tried that with Long Kiss Goodnight and Cutthroat Island but havent really made an effort since.
This is more like an Alien movie but with a more obvious t and a element.

From Long Kiss Goodnight Wikipedia, bold mine:

" She is stripped down to her slip, bra, and panties, bound with rope by her hands and feet to a waterwheel, and repeatedly lowered into ice cold water until near drowning. During this process, her real identity fully resurfaces she, kills Daedelus, escapes, kills his henchmen, and frees Hennessy."

I think the element was obvious even back then.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by oktawu: Didn't see this one coming.
What i can say for sure after this, is that i definitely don't know the world i live in.

Things that flopped didn't get made fifth time. RE is movie based on on a game targeting video game fans and gave them what they wanted. Something a person will not miss looking at Scarlett introduction in The Avengers.

The problem with DOOM is that The Rock is the bad guy. Hence, budget is 60 million, box office is 55 million (from Wikipedia). Hence, second one wasn't made (from the wiki, if the first was successful, they plan to make a second one).

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by oktawu: Didn't see this one coming.

Every now and then, people - especially young people - want to watch a film that is pure action & entertainment.

I guess that Resident Evil made good money because of that?

Maybe there wasn't another good action-flick in cinemas at this particular point, so RE made some decent money filling that role...

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by eliseu gouveia: The "female-lead action movies donīt sell" camp is running out of excuses.

To be fair, if the female lead was unnattractive or even just of average looks, the film probably wouldn't have done as well. The fact that she's in a skin tight outfit showing off her body sells it. The posters don't sell her as a zombie fighting heroine, they sell her as a bimbo with a gun.

And before anyone says that male leads are always attractive too - they aren't. Male leads rely on wit, intelligence, courage, bravery, charm and other positive attributes for appeal. Women have to rely on their tits, arses and faces.

Sigh. Nothing changes.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Tamagoo: I am amazed it even scored that high with this being like the fifth installment of the series. When did zombies grow worms in their mouths as extra mandibles?

Great Ideas be praised.

That was one of the things they used from the video games

09 September 2012
That's because the Movie SHALLOW HAL was actually a documentary based on all MALES, and a true story too!

Thread Closed share thread