First look at RoboCop's new suit design

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #61
Originally Posted by THX1311: Press the BLUE BUTTON for my commentary on this
remake/new look

Cheers

Using these is a good way to get a virus.

I'm hating the design. The original looks like he was fabricated in a car factory. Function over form. This looks like bits plastered onto a human form. I wonder if he'll do somersaults.

Old 09 September 2012   #62
Originally Posted by Wongedan: why we judge things from candid location photograph? :o
I personally would wait for 1st reveal trailer.

This is cgtalk, I would not expect this thread to go any other way. I knew what it was going to spiral into as soon as I seen the title.

Old 09 September 2012   #63
I would like it more if they had stick with the original suit.

Old 09 September 2012   #64
eliseu gouveia
Really cool work!

I guess I am in a minority here. Here is my opinion. Although the first Robocop was great, its design would look very clunky and out of date in this day and age. If you look at the current field of robotics there are robots that are already more agile and fluid in their movement and sleeker than the original design of robocop. Many of the new robot designs are given a military look, this seems a bit more grounded in reality. To me it simply wouldn't make sense to backtrack, if I remember correctly, the old robocop could not sprint, or even jump, his movements where just a touch better than those of a dalek and that is only because he could climb stairs!

Old 09 September 2012   #65
The new design looks fine but not for Robocop. It's way too generic and looks like it was lifted from a video game.

One thing I remember about Robocop. Before the film, cops were driving the Rosco P. Coletrane special.

Soon after, every cop car looked like it was from the future.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Old 09 September 2012   #66
I thought this was pretty fitting:

Old 09 September 2012   #67
Originally Posted by hypercube:

I wasn't going to post, but since you posted this awesome pic of my one and only screen credit, I'll just say "The new suit blows!"

I may have actually built that palette in the left fg, and I know I did some oil drums (on the left), along with other junk. All in all I worked on 4 or 5 different sets, or parts of sets. I did a lot of work on the basement boiler room. The Cain model did indeed rock, and I still treasure the long talks I had with Tom St. Amand, the brilliant machinist who built the armature (as well as the snow walkers from TESB.)

Old 09 September 2012   #68
Originally Posted by Artbot: I wasn't going to post, but since you posted this awesome pic of my one and only screen credit, I'll just say "The new suit blows!"

I may have actually built that palette in the left fg, and I know I did some oil drums (on the left), along with other junk. All in all I worked on 4 or 5 different sets, or parts of sets. I did a lot of work on the basement boiler room. The Cain model did indeed rock, and I still treasure the long talks I had with Tom St. Amand, the brilliant machinist who built the armature (as well as the snow walkers from TESB.)

Awesome...I too love the Cain model, ED209, and all that miniature work done in those films. The integration and interaction with the miniatures still holds up so well today, you can't beat it!

Old 09 September 2012   #69
Originally Posted by Artbot: I wasn't going to post, but since you posted this awesome pic of my one and only screen credit, I'll just say "The new suit blows!"

OK I owe you a beer in SIGGRAPH.
That is REALLY cool work.
-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09 September 2012   #70
Originally Posted by Artbot: The Cain model did indeed rock, and I still treasure the long talks I had with Tom St. Amand, the brilliant machinist who built the armature (as well as the snow walkers from TESB.)

He indirectly inspired me in sculpting because I remember seeing a photo attributed as him working on a miniature sculpture of the Kali victim who gets lowered into the lava in Temple of Doom.

I tried making a 1/4th scale figure sculpture after that. Total fail without a good armature underneath.

Old 09 September 2012   #71
I m pretty sure that the design is just a work in progress of the actually final look. they just didn't paint yet the metalic/silver parts etc. That all black suit is way too far from the original design to be the final intended look. It is still pretty funny to see all those pictures popping out on the web haha.

Old 09 September 2012   #72
That really is like redesigning the Darth Vader suit ... no, no, no!

Old 09 September 2012   #73
Originally Posted by collings: I m pretty sure that the design is just a work in progress of the actually final look. they just didn't paint yet the metalic/silver parts etc. That all black suit is way too far from the original design to be the final intended look. It is still pretty funny to see all those pictures popping out on the web haha.

Well I think we better get used to the black....
Here is an early promo poster with the suit.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58378

I bet the suit has the ability to change colors, and that is why in a tactical situation it looks black...(at least that is my hope)
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 09 September 2012 at 01:31 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #74
Maybe I'm an old fart now, or maybe I'm just sick and tired of my childhood memories being raped, but this suit looks like crap. I can only imagine what the cg for this film will be like. I guess robocop will be leaping through the air like some ninja or something? This is the first of what I am sure will be many reasons not to see this movie. Nice car Joey! ha ha ha...

Old 09 September 2012   #75
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz: Well I think we better get used to the black....
Here is an early promo poster with the suit.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58378

I bet the suit has the ability to change colors, and that is why in a tactical situation it looks black...(at least that is my hope)

They copy past the T2 font ... lazy people

For the movie itself, i'm pretty sure it will be a pretty good movie. Jose Padilha is really a young promising director, elite squad 1 et 2 were both good movies. So i'm quite sure we will keep the violent and ironic aspect of the original. And i bet he can do far better than the soft directing style of Len wiseman. Let's hope we won't have a lensflare per shot on this one, i will count them ...

Thread Closed share thread