RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
I hope that the idea of the "transforming" suit its true.

That would mean that the suit would eventually change to its Iconinc Steel & black look.

I say this because there is a reason the original Robocop Design is ICONIC.

Rob Bottin designed a look that looked like a true cyborg, NOT IRON MAN Mark VII.

It does look like something designed by someone without an understanding of what made the original design work.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 09-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #17
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Personally, I feel as if this design is playing it far too safe. It's just a combo of the original design and Iron Man. Boring. I was really hoping for something more along the lines of what was done in the most recent Deus Ex game. More cyborg and less robot.

It's a damned if you do/don't situation though. Stay too faithful to the source and people will complain that it's unoriginal, uninspired, and unnecessary. You might as well just watch the original one then. Stray too far from the source and people will scream bloody murder and claim that it defiled their precious memories of a treasured classic.

You really can't please anybody really. It's too much of a tightrope act. To borrow from WarGames, the only winning move is not to play. Unless you can drastically improve the source material, as Croneberg did with The Fly, it's best to leave the property alone. Hollywood never learns though. The "suits" deciding this stuff are hopeless. If the Vince Vaughn Psycho remake didn't teach them anything then nothing will.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #18
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Unhappy Just sad...

If you ask me, I felt sad. Just sad.

It was meant to be a robot, a cyborg. Not some human in armor. It supposed to look like only the head & brain portion was managed to be rescued (a theme in robocop 2, where a criminal brain was used).

But this... is just sad. It didn't give the image of a robot/cyborg. Just a human in a suit.

This re-imagining is sad and I should feel sad.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #19
Michael32766
Frequenter
mash
hey can you fix this?
Digital Migrant Worker, Mongolia

I'm more worried about if they reuse ED-209 and what it might look like.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:49 AM   #20
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael32766
I'm more worried about if they reuse ED-209 and what it might look like.

Actually, ED209 looks fairly solid. Just Google "ED209 remake" and it should pop up immediately. A promo with ED209 has been out for a while now.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:01 AM   #21
tuna
|||||||||||||||||||||||||

Thomas Cannell
String puller
Venice, USA

That design definitely looks just more like a man in a plastic suit, the OG definitly lived up to its "robot" title. It also has the benefit of that optimistic 80's cool future technology style instead of "Batman and Iron Man are cool lets make this Robot cop like that, does the committee agree?"

Old 09-16-2012, 04:15 AM   #22
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

The thing to consider is that this pic is taken out of context. We have no idea what the sets, lighting, or post effects will be like. Spy pics are typically pretty unflattering. Fan reaction over leaked pics of Thor's Asgard sets and X2's Nightcrawler didn't sit well with fans initially. On the big screen and with VFX.... much better. Reserve judgement until you at least see the first trailer. That's my opinion.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #23
DePaint
Banned

portfolio
Emre M.
Istanbul, Turkey

I like the original Robocop suit design far better than this piece of cr.... er.. Crysis?

There's a viral video for the new film online:

http://www.djfood.org/djfood/omnico...op-remake-ed209

Shows a glimpse of the new ED-209.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 AM   #24
trancerobot
Art Compiler

portfolio
Christian Storay
BIM & VDC Modeler
USA

I'm not a fan of the new suit either... however the old suit looks a bit dated and bulky. They had to do something.

One thing that was clear as you watched Robocop was that you weren't watching the exploits of a super-human, but one of a disabled hero overcoming the odds. He was a sympathetic character, not some "I'll fix everything" Superman.

I hope they keep that. Robocop embodies the struggle to define one's own humanity and purpose... after both are seemingly taken away. Without that, you don't really have a Robocop movie.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #25
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan

Something weird about the shapes and the rendering...

It's almost like there's motion-blur in many parts without the parts even moving.

It looks like a Cybertronian Ostrich.
It's not ugly.. it just looks a bit over-designed. Too many holes and gaps in small places.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #26
sonn
Know-it-All

that doesn't look right. The black color just seems odd. And the design reminds me of every other design that's based on the human muscle structure. Nothing wrong with that, and the suit is kind of nice, but it just doesn't feel unique /iconic unfortunately.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:42 AM   #27
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Robocop is probably the best comic book movie not based on a comic, but what I most dread is the tv commercials. I hope they dont try the funny ad route to mimic those in the original. It didnt work in Robocop 2. It wont seem as funny if they act like they are in on the joke as they did in the 1990 film.

You must think you're pretty smart. Think you can outsmart a bullet?

Old 09-16-2012, 06:37 AM   #28
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelgy
Robocop is probably the best comic book movie not based on a comic, but what I most dread is the tv commercials. I hope they dont try the funny ad route to mimic those in the original. It didnt work in Robocop 2. It wont seem as funny if they act like they are in on the joke as they did in the 1990 film.

You must think you're pretty smart. Think you can outsmart a bullet?

The mentioning of the ads reminds me of a couple of things that came out of "The Making of Robocop".

The ads were used to quickly build the "world" of New Detroit in that future. They wanted a world where there was excess and a lot of "free-floating filth" and consumerism spiralling out of control and which fed corporations with a lot of money.

Added to that, everything in RoboCop had a specific objective. ED-209 in particular was really intended to symbolize the impractical, bulky, and somewhat moronic approach some large corporations use when trying to solve a problem. This was the reason they wanted ED-209 to be fearsome, large, but as it is already written in the script - the machine is easily defeated by simple staircases. The same logic applies to conducting a test with ED-209 fully armed with live ammunition in the infamous R-rated test scene.

The designs for the new film seem to ignore these required "traits". Which leads me to believe they plan to tell a different story.

If it's different enough. Maybe it doesn't need to be (nor should be) called "RoboCop".

Old 09-16-2012, 06:42 AM   #29
fablefox
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Azhar Mat Zin
Fable Fox
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

size to a tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan

Something weird about the shapes and the rendering...

It's almost like there's motion-blur in many parts without the parts even moving.

It looks like a Cybertronian Ostrich.
It's not ugly.. it just looks a bit over-designed. Too many holes and gaps in small places.

And also its size to a tank... seriously?

Old 09-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #30
Tamagoo
Frequenter
portfolio
Nerijus
Reseda, United States Minor Outlying Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookepuss
Personally, I feel as if this design is playing it far too safe. It's just a combo of the original design and Iron Man. Boring. I was really hoping for something more along the lines of what was done in the most recent Deus Ex game. More cyborg and less robot.

It's a damned if you do/don't situation though. Stay too faithful to the source and people will complain that it's unoriginal, uninspired, and unnecessary. You might as well just watch the original one then. Stray too far from the source and people will scream bloody murder and claim that it defiled their precious memories of a treasured classic.

You really can't please anybody really. It's too much of a tightrope act. To borrow from WarGames, the only winning move is not to play. Unless you can drastically improve the source material, as Croneberg did with The Fly, it's best to leave the property alone. Hollywood never learns though. The "suits" deciding this stuff are hopeless. If the Vince Vaughn Psycho remake didn't teach them anything then nothing will.

That's why you stop rehashing these old ideas and create something new. I don't understand how people eat up these repetitive stories.

Thread Closed share thread