Anime inspired animations by Paul Johnson (Star Wars/DR WHO)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Anime inspired animations by Paul Johnson (Star Wars/DR WHO)

Well we have enough gloom and doom lately to fill a stadium, so how about if I post some work to inspire:
there is this crazy amazing animator called Paul Johnson and I wanted to share some of his work done in anime style:
NO SOUND:
Tie Fighter WIP-revision 3 (Tons of GREAT cell shaded work there)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPkVruTiStY&feature=player_embedded

FIXED LINK!
And this one is a bit older:
DR WHO Tribute:
Doctor who anime Full
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt3q...ayer_embedded#!

Looking forward to your comments

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 09 September 2012 at 09:31 PM.

09 September 2012
Thanks Roberto, that was something different.

09 September 2012
First link still isn't working for me.

Someone threw a music bed on it -

http://youtu.be/Sis57MCUpQI?hd=1

Really like how he captured the old school "wobble". Takes me back to Macross.

09 September 2012
The Doctor Who anime looked OK most of the time, but some parts had questionable parallax, wrong depth, and suffered a lot during pans.

Many parts look like they were done in an updated "Old Captain America cartoon" style with still frames being pulled at certain timing to create illusion of volume.

But it is remarkable work.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: The Doctor Who anime looked OK most of the time, but some parts had questionable parallax, wrong depth, and suffered a lot during pans.

Many parts look like they were done in an updated "Old Captain America cartoon" style with still frames being pulled at certain timing to create illusion of volume.

But it is remarkable work.

He's very specifically emulating 80's anime, which wasn't always 100% right and had those issues. I think it's totally spot-on and "on purpose".

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by hypercube: He's very specifically emulating 80's anime, which wasn't always 100% right and had those issues. I think it's totally spot-on and "on purpose".

I like to think there was a lot of careful attention to controlled tone, volume, and depth in anime from 1984:

Sample from "Macross: Do You Remember Love?"

BUT.. I understand what you're talking about... Many of the methods he is using are also in use in the Macross clip. They're just applied more carefully I think in the Macross show so can't agree he's "spot-on" but Method-Accurate - yes.

09 September 2012
I've been following his work for some time now- just brilliant work! Such attention to detail in the designs and in the animation- and also Daleks with a workaround for stairs
M dot Strange dot CoM

09 September 2012
Very enjoyable. Shame the audio couldn't of been cleaned up a little, but still.
Nice Doctor choice too - he comes up well in anime style. I laughed when he said ' for goodness sake put something warm on' to the young lady

09 September 2012
I think it makes a good case for a SW anime show. The perfect combo, given how tech and anime go together so well. How cool would it be to see lightsaber fights done in that Batman in Shanghai ultra dynamic hand drawn motion blur style?

09 September 2012
As one of those people who considers Jon Pertwee to be his Doctor, I think this is bloody brilliant. Been watching this developing for a couple of years. Love the Delgado/Ainsley Master partnership and the Davison era cyberman stylings. Brilliant.

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: I like to think there was a lot of careful attention to controlled tone, volume, and depth in anime from 1984:

Sample from "Macross: Do You Remember Love?"

BUT.. I understand what you're talking about... Many of the methods he is using are also in use in the Macross clip. They're just applied more carefully I think in the Macross show so can't agree he's "spot-on" but Method-Accurate - yes.

I also can't agree that it is spot on perfect. The guy is good, no doubt, but looking over all the art I could find from his, he is still learning, and improving very fast. I think his NEXT original thing will be the one to watch. Unfortunately he is too busy with his day job these days.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread