Kickstarter campaign?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
Kickstarter campaign?

I'm not here to advertise my website, but is it kosher to mention a Kickstarter campaign I just launched?

Old 09 September 2012   #2
I'm sorry but no, I don't want people using this forum to advertise their campaigns, for much the same reason as we don't allow people to post threads advertising their websites - if we allow it, these threads would outnumber all the discussions and this forum would just become a spamfest of self-promotion.

You're free to put a link to your campaign in your signature though.

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Maybe itīs not a bad idea to have a sub forum for cg animated kickstarter campaings. It could be useful to further support fellow artists trying to get some funds for their projects. Just an idea, I doubt it will be implemented.

Putting it in the signature will definitely get you attention, my blog gets plenty of clicks from cgsociety just having it linked. Iīll be waiting for you link in the sig so I can check your project. Cheers!

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Originally Posted by JWRodegher: Maybe itīs not a bad idea to have a sub forum for cg animated kickstarter campaings. It could be useful to further support fellow artists trying to get some funds for their projects. Just an idea, I doubt it will be implemented.

Putting it in the signature will definitely get you attention, my blog gets plenty of clicks from cgsociety just having it linked. Iīll be waiting for you link in the sig so I can check your project. Cheers!

That's a nice idea!

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Originally Posted by JWRodegher: Maybe itīs not a bad idea to have a sub forum for cg animated kickstarter campaings. It could be useful to further support fellow artists trying to get some funds for their projects. Just an idea, I doubt it will be implemented.

+1 from me...

I think that a subforum where you can post indy projects, like indy games, and Kickstarter & Indiegogo CG projects, could be very helpful.

I would like to see that happen, personally.

Old 09 September 2012   #6
No, there won't be a forum. We already have far too many forums and the last thing I'm going to add is a pit where people basically just spam links and not actually discuss anything.

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Originally Posted by leigh: No, there won't be a forum. We already have far too many forums and the last thing I'm going to add is a pit where people basically just spam links and not actually discuss anything.

Well, you're the boss, Leigh...

I personally think that Kickstarter, Indiegogo & similar will become more and more important for small/indy projects - whether film, or game or comic book or animation - over the next 2 - 3 years.

A forum subsection where people can post their projects would have been a nice thing to have.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Originally Posted by DePaint: Well, you're the boss, Leigh...

I personally think that Kickstarter, Indiegogo & similar will become more and more important for small/indy projects - whether film, or game or comic book or animation - over the next 2 - 3 years.

A forum subsection where people can post their projects would have been a nice thing to have.

They're already posting them on Kickstarter.

Like I said before, they're more than free to put links in their signatures. I get literally thousands of hits to my website link in my forum signature here on a monthly basis, it's more than enough.

Old 09 September 2012   #9
I imagine it'd be ok to start a thread in the WIP section for the kickstarter-funded project, so long as the primary focus is posting art and getting critiques, with gathering funding kept secondary.

Last edited by Meloncov : 09 September 2012 at 09:17 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #10
The news section would be an appropriate place, right ? Everyone and their grandma is posting links to CG projects, app releases and other propaganda there. Smells like the same difference to me.

www.toonafish.nl
Buy stock objects

Old 09 September 2012   #11
Originally Posted by toonafish: The news section would be an appropriate place, right ? Everyone and their grandma is posting links to CG projects, app releases and other propaganda there. Smells like the same difference to me.

I routinely remove Kickstarter and similar threads from CG News when I see them, as it falls within the gamut of "personal promotion" that we don't allow anywhere on this site.

Old 09 September 2012   #12
Hmm, interesting rules. So if I would start a CG project like this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...bout-our-future

or even this one :

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ippetts-mad-god

I wouldn't be allowed to post a link it, because it's "personal promotion".

But it seems that as a software developer, or book publisher I can post a link to my webpage if there's a book release, a software update, a special discount, or a new plugin ? Any reason to allow promotion like that, but not "personal promotion" ?

www.toonafish.nl
Buy stock objects

Old 09 September 2012   #13
Originally Posted by toonafish: Hmm, interesting rules. So if I would start a CG project like this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...bout-our-future

or even this one :

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ippetts-mad-god

I wouldn't be allowed to post a link it, because it's "personal promotion".

But it seems that as a software developer, or book publisher I can post a link to my webpage if there's a book release, a software update, a special discount, or a new plugin ? Any reason to allow promotion like that, but not "personal promotion" ?

Book releases, software releases, etc are existing products being released by business entities (they are therefore not "personal"). Raising money for a personal project which doesn't even exist yet is completely different.

I'm not really sure why you're trying to argue this point when the difference between Kickstarter et al and the examples you're giving should be more than obvious.

I'm all for people going out into the world and being enterprising; I've supported a couple of Kickstarter and Indiegogo endeavours myself. But what I don't like is people using our site to crowdsource and spam.

I don't see why putting links in your signature is not sufficient enough. As I mentioned already, I get thousands of hits on my own site every month from my forum signature. Putting a link in your signature and then participating in discussions is guaranteed to get you hits, especially if you consistently contribute to threads in a constructive and insightful manner (stuff like posting indepth critiques on WIPs, posting industry insight in discussion threads, helping with software issues, etc), which makes people inclined to investigate you or your projects.

Old 09 September 2012   #14
What if your promoting someone else? Like the Obsidian Kickstarter.

One of the primary means for Kickstarter promotions is through forums and social media.

Old 09 September 2012   #15
I will admit i would be very interested to know what the members of CGTalk are upto on Kickstarter or any other projects that i could support in general. If CGTalk could support it with a little to none chance of abuse i would really support it. Its hard for a big community like CGTalk to act as a community, since due to is size is more like a population. Something like that needs to be policed to prevent abuse.

The Collaborative team projects forum is pretty much a ghost town now, but one thread that still has some activity is the Devils, Angels & Dating thread, a short that was completed with the help of crowd sourcing and yet that forum is for non-paying projects i believe. Obviously this shows how well something can do with real perseverance and not just some fleeting thought of creating an animated film.

Thread Closed share thread