Computer Graphics quantitative value to society..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #46
Originally Posted by ViCoX: It would be nice to know what kinda systems army has for cruise missiles and hornets. A lot of computer graphics, tracking, simulation ect! : ) They are not only useful for games and movies you know.

I`m pretty sure many of the badass industry veterans have worked for Lockheed Martin!

I'm pretty sure that the military and other sectors have been using tracking and simulations systems long before games and movies made use of them.

Old 09 September 2012   #47
Originally Posted by leigh: What's the difference between the general public and society?

The general public (as used previously) would be a subset of modern society, which is a subset of society (the historic and current entity that is organised human culture).

To be fair I'm actually in agreement with you for the most part Leigh. I don't think anyone should go thinking that their work on Transformers X will change the world or have massive over-arching consequences for humanity.

However I think it is fair to discuss CG art as being as important as the (art) Renaissance in terms of it's influence on the form of art. The comparison so far to the renaissance in this thread has been poor I think. Art did grow and change, but philosophy and science were also undergoing a renaissance, and it's the combination of these things that leads to many interesting and often unsought for outcomes.

CG Art encourages people to participate in online forums that encourage the sharing of techniques in ways that we really have never seen for such young artists. The ability to self educate is greater than ever. I don't think that is going to change the world in some fundamental way but I do think it will have an impact on many people.

My personal impact on young minds will be small (probably - you never know) but some artists will have a much bigger impact. How many of us were influenced by Star Wars?

Summary: Yes, the world can live without a lot of what we do but that doesn't make it without value or even importance.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

Old 09 September 2012   #48
I think CG art is art- I started creating CG art mainly because i had to toss most of my Oils (Toxic and kids don't mix well) and also sometimes it's nice not to have to clean up a big mess.

Personally, I still get the same satisfaction and deeply involved in my CG work- although at times it's easy to fall out of that zone mode when you have to do something boring and repetitive/ or programmery LOL.

Just can't wait til I can be more mobile and do all this. I prefer the great outdoors for my inspirations and references.

Old 09 September 2012   #49
Originally Posted by CKPinson: I think CG art is art-

Yeah I agree. I used not to but I changed my mind

Old 09 September 2012   #50
Originally Posted by CKPinson: I think CG art is art

I disagree, CG art can be/has the potential to be art. CG art isn't art in itself...
Not every oil painting qualifies as art either, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by HFnord : 09 September 2012 at 10:55 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #51
right... According to the definition of art it is art

ART:
  • The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture,...: "the art of the Renaissance"
  • Works produced by such skill and imagination.
Even that one piece by ball point pen man seems to be art since there was some skill involved.

Old 09 September 2012   #52
Right... That's the only possible definition of art...
But you're right, according to that definition CG art is art!

I personally was thinking more along these lines:
[art is] "excellence or aesthetic merit of conception or execution as exemplified by such works"
(and that's part of a longer definition given here)

Last edited by HFnord : 09 September 2012 at 12:41 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #53
Originally Posted by HFnord: [art is] "excellence or aesthetic merit of conception or execution as exemplified by such works"

That is a pretty tame definition. If I were an artist I would pack up and go home after reading that. Is that all there is? :(

Old 09 September 2012   #54
Since the moment Picasso unleashed cubism on the Art World, ĎArtí had become an indefinable term. Anything can be considered art, as long as a human had a hand in itóor an elephant had itís brush wielding trunk in it.

Start here to formulate your revolutionary, 21st century, all encompassing definition of what art is.

Old 09 September 2012   #55
I partially stand corrected, as your link clearly shows current "definitions" of art "deny that art has essential connection to aesthetic properties". My personal take on art apparently is a bit old-fashioned.
Carry on...

Last edited by HFnord : 09 September 2012 at 07:08 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #56
Generally speaking Art isn't different from anything else I suppose referring to : there are those of us who put our soul into it and then there are those who do it for the money.

Neither is wrong considering not everyone can always put their soul into every piece

and sometimes from a technical standpoint money talks, BS walks

- if that makes any sense- it did in my head.

Old 09 September 2012   #57
@Quadart, I like definitions that don't equate art with a conventional perception of quality but qualities not immediately apparent. That was a really nice read.

There are those that say that any digital medium cannot be art. If that was true then CG would in no way benefit society in an artistic sense because art pushes us further than we thought we could go and develops us in cultural and philosophical directions. Saying that digital creations are not art because they can be flawlessly reproduced with ease is, to my thinking taking the easy way out.

Most of the work here is for an end purpose and not an end in itself so not art by your local museum's standards. The work here is entertainment and what I prefer. There are products and games being made that are very non representational that I would call art. That elevates them above and beyond what the learned would consider mundane and make them useful to society, at least intellectually.

The great thread calling for visual tutorials for social aid projects could no be anything but an extreme example of the usefulness of CG at a grass roots level. So CG aids society at both ends of the spectrum: the intellectual art end and the survival end for those in need. CG isn't just movies and games it touches our lives on a multitude of levels whether we are aware of it or not.

My plastic pearls
Cheerio

Last edited by Kanga : 09 September 2012 at 11:41 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #58
Is CG Music not Music?

It has been embraced as music since NIN and other artists managed to incorporate PCS in their pipelines.

Heck music is even considered a form of art, expression.

WTH is hard about accepting CG ART as ART? This is a very old way of thinking-

Old 09 September 2012   #59
What is art? Such an endless discussion yet I admit I always enjoy reading different points of view on it.

One error I see a lot when people try to define art, is defining based on personal taste. As in something isn't art unless I like it, or I find it visually pleasing, or I feel it took a lot of skill or creativity. If we're to agree upon a definition (just for fun) it can't be based on anything subjective.

You can't define a table as something "crafted with a high level of carpentry" or else people would be debating endlessly on what a table is. (like we do with art)

Really it's impossible to define, but I find it fun to try for some reason.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 09 September 2012   #60
Originally Posted by CKPinson: Is CG Music not Music?

It has been embraced as music since NIN ....

Thanks for pointing out how uninformed you are, and how old I am.

Thread Closed share thread