Able to draw, born talent or hard work

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2012
Able to draw, born talent or hard work

Hey guys, at age 23 i found all of this CG thing. Been lurking, searching reading stuff about all of stuff. I was interest in everything.
especially in FX, sculpting stuff.

Was okey, until, i read for better character artist need to know drawing. Damn it. to be honest i never draw in my life, all of my drawing made my mother lol, when i was in elementary and high school.

But now, it's come to me that, i need to learn to draw. And i have no idea where to start. Got books, but, i am just reading them, and no idea how to start, there is no explanation how to start etc.

Even i will go for online course for drawing, but there anything like that. There is for 3D, FX, Zbrush, but not drawing.

Is drawing is a born talent? Or it's from hard working? I know kids you are not even 15, know to draw, everything, 2 of them are my cousins both 13, and can draw, ****ing good. Whatever they are interest.
I feel like dump, useless compared to them.
Ye maybe. when they grow up, might work in Blizzard for example

09 September 2012
I bet if you asked your cousins they would tell you they draw all the time. Hence their ability to draw well. Why do you expect to be good at something you never really do?

09 September 2012
It takes a ton hard work.
I would strongly suggest to take some BASIC art classes at the local art league or community college.

And practice A LOT:

I firmly believe in the 10,000 hour rule:
"
The 10000 Hour Rule is just that. This is the idea that it takes approximately 10000 hours of deliberate practice to master a skill.

For instance, it would take 10 years of practicing 3 hours a day to become a master in your subject. It would take approximately 5 years of full-time employment to become proficient in your field. Simply work out how many hours you have already achieved and calculate how many more you need to clock up before you reach 10000.
"

http://www.squidoo.com/10000-hour-rule

It means that if you practice 20 hours PER WEEK it will take you about 10 years to get good.

I know it sounds brutal, butthe journey is worth it.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

09 September 2012
There was a thread about this a while back.

Basically, there are some people that are talented, but most artists (good artists) spend a lot of time practicing and became good through hard work. Even the talented people need a lot of practice to become really good as well.

09 September 2012
C'mon Bojan, you're killing me. Didn't we already have this conversation.

Alright, on the last thread I mentioned Riven Pheonix's http://www.alienthink.com/ but this assumes you have at least a bit of skill with a pencil. I have no idea where your level is so...

Let's start here. Mark Kistler's drawing series. http://www.draw3d.com/store/stationbook.html
It's designed for kids but it teaches very fundamental rules of art in general such as: Foreshortening, placement, size, overlapping, shading, shadow, contour, horizon, density. So while it is a kids book its no joke. This is the guy I learned from when I was a kid and I used to draw every day for at least an hour to get better.

Okay, you can't get much more basic than that.
Like I said the last time, DO IT!
wyattharris.com Dig it!

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by japetus: I bet if you asked your cousins they would tell you they draw all the time. Hence their ability to draw well. Why do you expect to be good at something you never really do?

This.

People aren't born with a magical ability to draw; like any skill, it's something learned and perfected through practice.

09 September 2012
I don't know why, I guess I just really want you to get better Bojan.

Here's Mark's Youtube channel for crying out loud.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MarkKistler

No more excuses, get to work!
wyattharris.com Dig it!

09 September 2012
Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbh5l0b2-0o&feature=player_embedded#!

There lies the answer to why the saying "Practice makes perfect" is true.

09 September 2012
Thanks guys, for the advice. How drawing will help me for my Zbrush character design? Or do i need to spend 10.000hour rule to learn 3D and another 10.000 for drawing?

09 September 2012
If you had spent half of the time practicing (anything) of the time you spent creating all those crying themes, you would be already making a progress.
So, stop "philosophy"... stop asking yourself... stop measuring... just start working.

09 September 2012
The "10,000 hour rule" is mostly apocryphal. You get better as you go, and will hit plateaus, cliffs, and walls along the way. Search for an old thread over on ConceptArt.org where the guy set out to draw every day for 1 year and post all of his progress. It's really mind-blowing how much better he became very quickly.

Also do a search here, as there are many (long) threads asking your exact question.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Artbot: The "10,000 hour rule" is mostly apocryphal. You get better as you go, and will hit plateaus, cliffs, and walls along the way. Search for an old thread over on ConceptArt.org where the guy set out to draw every day for 1 year and post all of his progress. It's really mind-blowing how much better he became very quickly.

This. Whenever I see people mentioning the "10,000 hour rule" thing, I cringe. It's a pile of unsubstantiated, purely anecdotal crap and I wish people would stop repeating it as advice. There is absolutely no scientific evidence whatsoever to prove it; the idea came from some book written by a guy who pulled that number out of his arse and repeated it enough times to make people believe the number was important. The fact is that different people learn things at different rates, the key is simply to keep practising and practising and practising, and some people will learn quickly, while others will take longer.

09 September 2012
Originally Posted by Artbot: The "10,000 hour rule" is mostly apocryphal. You get better as you go, and will hit plateaus, cliffs, and walls along the way. Search for an old thread over on ConceptArt.org where the guy set out to draw every day for 1 year and post all of his progress. It's really mind-blowing how much better he became very quickly.

Also do a search here, as there are many (long) threads asking your exact question.

damn, I wanted to find that thread as I some how missed it but seems CA forums are down.

09 September 2012
O.T.
I've never heard of "10,000 hour rule" thing (or didn't noticed it), but I remember Mickey telling Rocky: "For a match of 40 minutes you need to training 40.000 thousands minutes".
So, that's maybe the origin of the "10,000 hour rule".

09 September 2012
Someone once stated to me that "practice makes permanent" in that if you only practice in a particular way you may get stuck with that. This was referring to learning a musical instrument but I think it applies in lots of situations this being one of them.

Steampunk
Secret Agent

Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Thread Closed share thread